80 Series Safety (3 Viewers)

Are the 80 Series LC's safe for kids with carseats?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are looking at buying an 80 series LC as a daily driver, but wanted to hear the groups thoughts about safety. We have a 3yr old son and I want to make sure he'll be fine in our rig should something happen. Thoughts? Should I look at something newer?

Avoid putting him on a Motorcycle and your good.
I have a 10 month old. He goes in Corolla, Avalon, and LC just fine.
Recall cars years ago had no seat belts, and no one wore helmets to ride bikes.

If your worried have him wear a football helmet in his car seat.

After 10 years on this forum, I have seen numerous wreck pictures. Rollover, running off at highway speeds, head on collisions, you name it. Every time that I recall, everyone walked away.

This is one of the reasons we just bought an 80 for my 14 year old son to be his first car.

These cars are tanks, and I would put my children in them any day of the week.

After 10 years on this forum, I have seen numerous wreck pictures. Rollover, running off at highway speeds, head on collisions, you name it. Every time that I recall, everyone walked away.

This is one of the reasons we just bought an 80 for my 14 year old son to be his first car.

That makes me feel so much better, I just let my father in-law get in my head. I would easily put a teenager in one, but wasn't sure how they would fare with someone much younger and still in a carseat (and soon a booster). My guess is they might actually be safer since they don't have airbags and I've heard bad things about kids and airbags.

If your worried have him wear a football helmet in his car seat.

While I realize you're joking, this would not be a good idea. The added weight would put severe stresses on the neck during an accident - which is why I wear a HANS device when racing...

Every accident is different. In its day it was very safe compared to other vehicles. it out weighs most other things so generally wins the collision battle.

Design > Weight

While I realize you're joking, this would not be a good idea. The added weight would put severe stresses on the neck during an accident - which is why I wear a HANS device when racing...

Your likely right, but I think a football helmet is made to take an impact and soften it over time.
It's not the acceleration that kills, but the sudden stop.
I'd rather have a helmet on instead of taking a B-Piller to the dome.
For the Record I was joking.

Design > Weight

I completely agree but we are not talking 50 years of design difference. If I'm in an accident with an immobile object I'd much rather be in my Subaru. But if I'm hitting a Subaru well I'd probably rather be in my 80 that is near double in mass.

Like I said originally every accident is different. The 80 is relatively safe but relays on the other vehicles crumple zones as it really does not have much of its own compared to a new unibody vehicle.

I completely agree but we are not talking 50 years of design difference. If I'm in an accident with an immobile object I'd much rather be in my Subaru. But if I'm hitting a Subaru well I'd probably rather be in my 80 that is near double in mass.

Like I said originally every accident is different. The 80 is relatively safe but relays on the other vehicles crumple zones as it really does not have much of its own compared to a new unibody vehicle.

What model Subaru do you drive? That was the other vehicle we were contemplating (an Outback), but my wife feels much better up in a traditional SUV as well as the trunk space for when she has the dogs. She keeps trying to steal my 4Runner TRD Pro.

This is the 1989 LC I was looking at: 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser.

According to the seller it needs a new AC blower, horn, and window motor.

I also found these newer models, but we just really like the 80's styling:
If you want an 80 series, you'll want to find Land Cruisers from 1991 - 1997 (US - I think they continued after '97 in some countries) The other year Cruisers are arguably better or worse, but are unarguably not 80s. I think most people who frequent the 80-Series Tech forum will be on the "80 is better" side of the argument.

"What's the safest car" is a pretty big question. Working in the automobile industry, I get asked this often, especially by parents looking to get kids into their first car. The honest answer is "the newest car you can afford." Truth of the matter is that technology applied to cars in the last two to three years has fundamentally transformed how we approach safety. Historically, engineers focused on how to protect occupants during an accident. Think seat belts and airbags. It's managing physics in milliseconds. Then we transitioned to actions that can take place when an impact is imminent. Belt tensioners, etc. The window of opportunity widened significantly. Now, it's all about preventing the impact altogether. Forward collision avoidance, autonomous braking, lane departure, etc. This has been transformative and will improve by leaps and bounds in a very short period.

As for how safe is the 80? It's probably a 3.5 to four star by today's IIHS standards. No side impact airbags. No traction control. No side overlap. That said, it's heavier than most cars on the road today - and when bad things happen, mass is the ultimate trump card.

if you're not offroading with your kid, get a newer and safer car. the 80 is not practical or good for daily driving or safety compared to more conventional options.

^ this. 80 series is tough as nails....

This has been debated for years, I saw on video, a Renault Espace hit a LR Discovery left corner to right corner. The Discovery came off worse, with no crumple zones the 'shock' of the impact went through the body as opposed to the 'crumpling' of the Espace. That was supposedly a controlled test, and there were objections based on whatever criteria was unfair at the time.

So, as above all accidents are different, would the Espace have survived a roll over in the same way as an LC80? Also, given that 'most' accidents are not serious 'smashes' then IMO the LC80 would be the survivor. Even given the side impact bars modern cars have which may or may not help with vehicle intrusion, but with the height of the 80 again that would be my get go.

Also it is not always about how new a car is or the technology involved. I came home to the carnage shown below outside my house one afternoon. My stepdaughter drove at the time an identical Green Ford Ka, my grandson is normally in the back, thankfully it was not her car. It was fortunate no one was in the rear of the Ka, but the driver badly hurt had to be cut out, the Golf occupants stepped out a little shaken doors still worked.

Both modern cars totally different results.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Buy the 80, kiddy seat in the rear, sleep well.

regards

Dave

I want to backup for a second, and applaud you. Anyone that would ask questions like this is going to be a great parent.

Enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom