4th Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
I have owned an fj60, 89 Sr5 pickup, 91 4runner and should be taking delivery on a 1998 4runner 5 speed manual within the next week or so. I have been out of Toyota for a couple of years after the head gasket blew on my last 4runner. I am looking forward to the v6 manual and plan to build it into a camping rig with a 3" lift and 31" tires. Just wondering if there was any advice to a v6 newbie from the veterans here.
$_4 (1).JPG

Just like you man I'm such a sucker for Toyota but I don't sell I just keep adding to the stable. LOL
my Last purchase was a 99 T4R with a blown head gasket but was still running it had 245k on the clock I was able to drive it for a year before it finally crap out and needed a replacement engine it was useless to drop a new set of heads on a short block with these many miles in my experienced. I would check cooling system if any signs of leak or any misfire which could indicate a possible crack head or gasket,flush the cooling system and use Toyota red coolant (Please) also replace thermostat (Toyota).

Just like you man I'm such a sucker for Toyota but I don't sell I just keep adding to the stable. LOL
my Last purchase was a 99 T4R with a blown head gasket but was still running it had 245k on the clock I was able to drive it for a year before it finally crap out and needed a replacement engine it was useless to drop a new set of heads on a short block with these many miles in my experienced. I would check cooling system if any signs of leak or any misfire which could indicate a possible crack head or gasket,flush the cooling system and use Toyota red coolant (Please) also replace thermostat (Toyota).

thanks

I don't have a ton of knowledge as I just acquired my 97. But replace the lower ball joints with OEM if they are in need and replace the rear cam plugs / half moon seals if you do the valve cover gaskets. 4Runners Cool little trucks.

All those 4runners are getting old, so usually their are leaks to fix. Toyota has updated rear axle seals, so if they are leaking, get toyota ones only. Spark plugs usually are neglected, so check them, replace pcv, check if maf is getting dirty. Takes a bit to do all the base line repairs, but they are very reliable if take care of.

All those 4runners are getting old, so usually their are leaks to fix. Toyota has updated rear axle seals, so if they are leaking, get toyota ones only. Spark plugs usually are neglected, so check them, replace pcv, check if maf is getting dirty. Takes a bit to do all the base line repairs, but they are very reliable if take care of.
Thanks. Truck is arriving by carrier tomorrow.

If you really want to get different ideas on what others do to lift their rigs go to T4R.org,so many options and you can fit 31" tires without a lift
you can go with spacers or go all out and get the adjustable units but there is a lift for every budget. post some pics when she arrives.

If you really want to get different ideas on what others do to lift their rigs go to T4R.org,so many options and you can fit 31" tires without a lift
you can go with spacers or go all out and get the adjustable units but there is a lift for every budget. post some pics when she arrives.

thanks. WD

I am looking forward to the v6 manual and plan to build it into a camping rig with a 3" lift and 31" tires.

Looks like a nice clean truck! The factory tires (265/70/16) already are about a 31" tire. If you want to fill the wheel openings a little better after the 3" lift- check out a 255/85/16 (33") or a 285/75/16 (will need spacers in the front)

Looks like a nice clean truck! The factory tires (265/70/16) already are about a 31" tire. If you want to fill the wheel openings a little better after the 3" lift- check out a 255/85/16 (33") or a 285/75/16 (will need spacers in the front)
It's Not bad. I paid 4k so it has a few minor cosmetic issues. 154k running and shifting great. Minor valve cover leak. Here's one I fixed yesterday.

20160511_140104.jpg

20160511_155524.jpg

Very nice find,we have identical 4Runner but yours is much cleaner mine is pushing 280k at this time and paint and interior is starting to show some wear. i would love to get my hands on a 5 speed but my next vehicle would be an LX 470/ LC 100.

Very nice find,we have identical 4Runner but yours is much cleaner mine is pushing 280k at this time and paint and interior is starting to show some wear. i would love to get my hands on a 5 speed but my next vehicle would be an LX 470/ LC 100.
Thanks. She'll be road tested soon. Found out I need to go to New Mexico to help clean up my grandmothers house for sale. Hope to make it all the way to the GrandCanyon and maybe wheel through Canyon de Chelly.

I'm not sure if you have fully inspected this rig or not but I suggest replace your lower balljoint soon if it's never been replaced,the damage it could cause is a pretty penny also check your inner and tie rods for wear.

Nice looking truck for that money. Lower ball joints are a great first thing to replace with OEM.

Forget the lift, drop a locker in it and some good tires and have fun now and lift later!

Nice looking truck for that money. Lower ball joints are a great first thing to replace with OEM.

Forget the lift, drop a locker in it and some good tires and have fun now and lift later!

Watched a youtube video on that. It looks pretty straight forward. I've done on a LC once. If I do ball joints and tie rods at the same time is there anything else which should be replaced? What parts should I order? I see different odds and ends on the toyota parts store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom