GX460 Lifts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good! How is the ride with the Bilsteins?

According to the guys over at Prado Point, you won't be able to fit the 275/70r18 with stock wheels and that little of a lift. The ARB prado 150 they use for some of their videos and product testing was running that size and the tire was making contact with the UCA on the stock wheels. It was supposed to be for photo purposes only. It is wider and considerably taller than stock (over 33 inches). I think I'm going to go with either 275/65r18 or 265/70r18.

Just some additional information below. I contacted the folks at "DasMule" about a GX 460 they had built for a customer. This is what they had to say :-

It's the ARB Prado front bumper. It didn't require any special mounting brackets other than the normal fit kit provided with the bumper, but it did require cutting a fair bit of the body panels back and with the light bars mounted we had to move the camera.

On the rear it's a CBI Offroad bumper. That required considerable modification that we did on the fly so we don't really have any details or specs to send you.

The customer has not yet installed a lift kit or aftermarket suspension.

The roof rack is a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform.

I have asked them about the tires used (with no lift). On a side note, have been doing some more reading and in many places its been suggested to first install all bumpers, winches and load up your vehicle with required equipment (roof rack, tents, camping stuff, food, water etc etc.) and THEN figure out which suspension best complements your overlanding/off-roading needs.

I think I will follow up on this advice myself. My new 2012 GX 460 came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires, I havent driven the car enough so can't come to a decision on whether I need to change them (although they look a bit small and not as aggressive as say the BFGs or Duratec). I would think that suspension + lift & tire choice probably need to happen together. Anyway this was just some rambling from a person very new to these type of activities. Feel free to correct me if my line of reasoning is wrong.

When I bought the truck, there was a 275/65r18 stuffed under there. I had to literally kick it out after dropping the chain because it was wedged so tight between the sway bar and the rear frame cross member. It prevented me from even installing a hitch. I made the dealer put a stock 265/60r18 back under there that matches the other 4. I then had room to install the hitch and it wasn't contacting the swaybar anymore. So technically, that size fit but I wouldn't run it that way. The 265/70r18 is about 0.6 inches taller than the 275/65r18. No way that will fit.

Looks good! How is the ride with the Bilsteins?

According to the guys over at Prado Point, you won't be able to fit the 275/70r18 with stock wheels and that little of a lift. The ARB prado 150 they use for some of their videos and product testing was running that size and the tire was making contact with the UCA on the stock wheels. It was supposed to be for photo purposes only. It is wider and considerably taller than stock (over 33 inches). I think I'm going to go with either 275/65r18 or 265/70r18.

Feels close to stock with less nose diving when stepping on the brakes. It's not jarring over bumps either which is why I didn't want spacers.

I've been eyeing that GX Mule did for a while and am glad to hear it wasn't extremely difficult to put the ARB bumper on.

When I bought the truck, there was a 275/65r18 stuffed under there. I had to literally kick it out after dropping the chain because it was wedged so tight between the sway bar and the rear frame cross member. It prevented me from even installing a hitch. I made the dealer put a stock 265/60r18 back under there that matches the other 4. I then had room to install the hitch and it wasn't contacting the swaybar anymore. So technically, that size fit but I wouldn't run it that way. The 265/70r18 is about 0.6 inches taller than the 275/65r18. No way that will fit.

Just do what the GX470's do, put the spare in the rear cargo area. Problem solved!

@Trapper Thanks for that info. So I guess there are 3 options if one goes for the tires you mentioned :-

1. Carry around an air compressor if deflating the spare fits under
2. Install a swing away rear tire carrier
3. Keep the tire in the cargo space o_O

Or option #4 - Get a CBI hitch mounted tire carrier Fold Down Tire Carrier PREMIUM MODEL | CBI Offroad Fab

That Mule GX just looks lifted because the side steps are taken off. I'm considering taking mine off and putting some sliders on.

I pulled my running boards as soon as I got home. A set of rocky road outfitters sliders will be going on. An ih8mud member has them bolted up to his GX460. I think they used his truck for the website GX460 pic.

I pulled my running boards as soon as I got home. A set of rocky road outfitters sliders will be going on. An ih8mud member has them bolted up to his GX460. I think they used his truck for the website GX460 pic.
I'm probably going to pull mine off this weekend. Any 5th Gen 4runner Trail Edition with KDSS should bolt right up to the GX460. There are several companies that make them.

Consolidated Slider Info Thread - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Had the RRO on the 2010, plan on using them on this one as well. The first set I welded "steps" to the sliders, and they worked awesome...on the next do round, I'm going to use the plastic running board "skins" on RR sliders, to keep a more OEM look, but still be functional and rugged as hell.

The GX looks so much better without the side steps. I'm still considering a set of sliders, but am searching for Prado rocker panels so I won't have to cut the original side steps.

I did some light off-roading the other day and was glad I took the side steps off! I definately am looking hard at new tires, the Bridgestones don't do too well off-road. The biggest clearance issue I had with anything was the rear bumper, but more specifically with the towing package. The hitch receiver just sits too damn low! Might be considering a bull bar and tire carrier after all......

Fellas,
Whats the part number for the bilstein 5100's that were used on the front of the above gx ? Sorry if i missed it in an earlier thread ?

Sub'd

@Trapper Thanks for that info. So I guess there are 3 options if one goes for the tires you mentioned :-

1. Carry around an air compressor if deflating the spare fits under
2. Install a swing away rear tire carrier
3. Keep the tire in the cargo space o_O

I bought a Detours swing down and i did
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg
modified a little. If you want to consider .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom