WHG423 Has a New FJ60! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job on the tubes, great solution. Did not see you at the X-mas party

Wish I could have made the party. They had us on mandatory weekend OT at work, otherwise I would have been there!

OK, refill and test run complete. Lines holding pressure nicely. upon inspection I noticed some moisture on them dripping down from the firewall onto them.

I revisited from above. Looks like the small line I replaced from the get go is still an issue, but with a new line in place I'm leaning towards a bigger issue. Heater core maybe?? Lighting sucks, but you can see the wetness.

Ok, I did a lot of reading on the heater core before I started tearing into it, cause' I know what a job it was going to be.
I decided to bite the bullet, and get started.
About an hour in and I can see the heater core in there. This job is going to really suck!

Before I dig any deeper, I decide to revisit under the hood one last time. Checking through everything I find the issue, a loose clamp on the upper heater core line at the firewall is loose! A couple of turns, and problem solved! If you revisit my last post, you can actually see it in the pic. Easy to over look the small things sometimes. Glad I checked!

I could go ahead and change the heater core, but I'm going with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach on this one!
But... Since I have the dash apart, I can focus on a few other things I've been wanting to do.

Back when I bought the parts out of the 62, I grabbed a clock. Just hadn't got around to putting it in. This is how I ended up spending my saturday.
I also had purchased a 2 port USB plug I wanted to install as well.

I had some scrap carbon fiber panel left from a job I did long ago. Removed my dash pocket, trimmed a panel it to size and got to work.

It took a lot of layout, cutting, and test fitting, trimming, and trimming

Then had to rig up bolts, and brackets galore.

After that, it was a wiring extravaganza. In case anyone wants to wire up a 62 clock in your 60.

Solid White & White W/BLK stripe = Grounds. Wire together
Red = Switch ON. Wired it to positive on Cigarette lighter
Red W/BLK = Battery, Hot (for clock memory). Wired this to the hot I ran for the radio.
Green = Dimmer. Ran a wire across under dash to fuse box and wired it into headlight fuse.

Had to play with it a while on the bench to figure all this out. Now you don't have to.

Vola! My 60 now has a clock and USB outlets which will be far more useful to me than the pocket.
I wanted an inclinometer, but really only for the clock. Those things are stupid expensive these days and the inclinometer
feature, while neat, is really novelty at best. I like my one-off design better.

All features seem to work like a charm! Think I'm really going to enjoy this!! :)

Last edited:
Gosh I love having a clock in my 60 finally! All that dash work got me thinking...
Time for a stereo upgrade!

Found this thread while doing research on a new unit:

Found the PERFECT aftermarket stereo for the 60

Like many others, I wanted a head unit with modern features, but not a flashy modern looking unit. Like my son said "dad, they all look the same". I really want to run my stock Toyota radio, but it lacks the quality sound and connectivity features I was in the market for. I thought about keeping stock and going with a Tuffy setup, but I really want the accessibility of it being dash mounted, plus I prefer the look of a stock console over a Tuffy. This Jensen Heavy duty seems to fit the bill perfect! I just ordered one. I got the Model #JHD1635BTB. It does not have a CD player, but I can't remember the last time I listened to a CD. It has bluetooth and front and rear USB ports. That is what sold me on this particular one. I can run my IPOD cable from the rear directly into the glovebox and have no wires hanging out!
Or I can stream pandora via bluetooth. I also REALLY like the weather radio feature! It's seems like a Win Win!
It was a hard sale though. Growing up in the 80's & 90's I was quite a bit if a car audiophile. Bumping subs and high dollar head units, amps, and EQ's were all the rage and I had em' all. Alpine, Kicker, Pioneer.... All the big names. Jensen was the last name on the list that anyone would be caught dead with. Let's face it, it was a K-mart blue light special. But all the reviews seem legit, seems like Jensen has a high quality product now with this Heavy Duty line incorporating all the latest features. Seems like the other big names have fallen off on quality while gaining flashy unused features. I've had several units fail on me over the years, the last being the Sony that was in the cruiser. It only lasted a little over a year and the whole right channel went out. I'm pretty excited about this Jensen. Let's see how it does.

And no, I still do not want to sell my Stock radio. :)

Last edited:
I got the new head unit installed and I absolutely love it! I would highly recommend this unit to anyone who uses iPod or bluetooth as a main source of audio. The look goes well with the 60's dash too. Really loving how this dash project came together!

We had a little bit of snow in my area, still enough to get out and take some cruiser pics and take the kids sledding.

Last edited:
Quick little console refresh. Old lid was in pretty sad shape.

I ordered some brown SEM dye. This is good stuff. I had used the black on a black dash before. Works great and holds up well over time.
Now to try the brown.

Disassembled the lid. Didn't know how to tackle this situation. I just started scraping with a plastic scraper, all the light brow crusty layer just flaked of in dust. I scraped for about an hour to get it all off.

Then I gave it a bath in Simple green and scrubbed the remaining flakes off with some scotchbrite.
Here it is all cleaned up.

Spray away

Here it is all back together. Color almost matches, looks off with the flash but fine in low light.
The texture is mostly gone and/or funky looking, I may address that later. But for now it looks far better than it did!

does the new head unit have a clock?

Well, the torch has been passed. The 60 is off to a new loving Mud member. Be watching for its new and upcoming build thread. You will be missed!

Well, the torch has been passed. The 60 is off to a new loving Mud member. Be watching for its new and upcoming build thread. You will be missed!

Oh no... What happened? New build?

Don't know the next step. I was just made an offer which I accepted. I enjoy doing different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom