Steering Wheel Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone figured out what to do to save our steering wheels? When I bought my 55, the steering wheel was in excellent condition. in just 6 short months, the plastic above and around the horn button is failing.

I have seen wheel restoration threads on this forum. Search is your friend.

I have searched and some pertain to cracks that have nothing to do with the plastic crumbling off. But I will continue to dig.

I have seen them restoring older style-60s,early 70s 40 series steering wheels with heat...Material melted together somehow...Check you tube,too...Don't know if newer st.wheels are made from same or different material...

I sent an antique steering wheel down to San Diego to have cracks restored by a professional restorer. Looked great when it came back, but all cracks returned before I got the rig running. I didn't consider asking for warranty since I didn't get around to restoring that vehicle until a few years later. Lesson: don't trust professional restorers, especially when they are charging $200-300.

Por 15 epoxy putty is worth a look.

There's a thread on here where an early wheel was fully stripped, all material removed down to the steel and then recast with all new resin/Bakelite/etc. It looked brand new, because it was. It also allows for changes to wheel geometry to be made: going to a smaller diameter, adding in palm swells, a threaded hole for a suicide knob, whatever you'd like to do. I saved the thread but can't seem to find it now. I recall the price was ~$300 and was done somewhere here in the states. Hot rod forums will probably be your best source.

Another 77 restoration thread has a nice steering wheel resto; I believe he used Eastwood products

Has anyone figured out what to do to save our steering wheels? When I bought my 55, the steering wheel was in excellent condition. in just 6 short months, the plastic above and around the horn button is failing.
This is my thread from beginning to present

Don’t use anyone unless they’ll stand behind their work. I checked w/ one of my first paying customers to see how the wheel was doing and he said it still looked new. If done right it should last a long time, at least another 50 years.

I can repair your wheel, I restarted a 63 with most of it missing and it came out perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom