What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it overheating yet?

Not yet. Joey is picking it up today so he'll take care of that. Stay tuned for an epic 50 page thread about it...

In all seriousness I did research inline water temp gauges at 2:30am...

PHH needs to be addressed.
Welcome to the "other side".

Yeah. You are in LA. You should go help Joey out with the PHH. At least keep him company and fetch him tea. :clap:

Replaced rear- most window belt moulding via a better used moulding from the junk yard. Good thing too bc it needed to be cleaned underneath.

After removal - dirt/ dust buildup.

image.jpeg

I'll post pics of the after tomorrow.

image.jpeg

Replaced rear- most window belt moulding via a better used moulding from the junk yard. Good thing too bc it needed to be cleaned underneath.

After removal - dirt/ dust buildup.

View attachment 1208256

I'll post pics of the after tomorrow.
Any secret to getting that off without breaking any of the fasteners or clips holding it in place?

Warm weather and a gentle touch. And patience.

Then a tube of black RTV sealant to dab on spaced out after you remove it and break all the clips. :bang:

Got a Hi Lift.
Secured in the back.
Didn't like how it took up storage space so I made a ghetto fabulous shelf.
Led a couple of Jeeps on the Sugarpine Mountain Trail.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Over the last two weekends, but:

Several months ago I was getting a CEL for the EGR. For the short-term I bypassed it and shorted the sensor to get rid of the CEL. I finally got around to working on it.

I removed the upper and lower plenum and cleaned them up.

EGR passage pre-cleaning:
20160205_173049.jpg

EGR passage post-cleaning:
20160205_173104.jpg

Since I was in there I also replaced the fuel filter. I rarely get frustrated with Toyota over bad design, but I gotta' say, whoever thought it was a good idea to have to remove the wiring harness to be able to take the bottom plenum off? Stupid, stupid design. IMHO.

I have an extra drive train in the garage, so I sent the injectors from it out to be cleaned and refurb'd. I installed those, and rebuilt a couple of broken injector connectors as well. Since I was into the clamshell I also replaced all the soft lines. I've had a persistent small oil leak off the back of the valve cover (my last one!) and I haven't fixed it because its such a PITA to get to. So while I was in there I decided to tackle that. I found that the bolts at #6 cylinder were only finger tight. I also found that all 6 of the spark plug tube seals were brittle and hard. They literally shattered when I removed them.

All 6 of my plugs looked bad, some were oil soaked, and the #4 plug had been overtightened at some point and the anode was crushed against the plug. No idea how it was even sparking.
20160213_112916.jpg

The insulation around the wiring harness was fairly well shot, so I wrapped the EGR tube in exhaust wrap, and the harness in heat tape.
20160213_121517.jpg

Since I had the TB off, I also removed the soft screws on the IAC and replaced them with stainless steel allen bolts.

Got it all buttoned up tonight and after blipping the starter a handful of times to refill the fuel filter and rail, it fired right off and purred like a kitten. With the idle reset complete its the smoothest the truck has ever run. The goodness I didn't get out of my starter rebuild a few weeks go I am getting now. The truck fires as soon as the key is turned, no more turning over for up to second before it kicks off. She accelerates nicely and has more pep then ever.

Fingers crossed for a successful smog test this week.

Headed up to camp outside linville gorge wilderness area and joined some old north state cruiser pals on a chilly ride around the mountains near Boone NC

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Snorkle done. Next week, new tires and wheels arrive! Also, going to put new brushes in my alternator. Went from intermittent charging, to no charging. :(

How about a shot or two of that rear bumper? From this photo it appears to be home grown.

X2. Lifted truck with big bumper is pretty cliche at this point. I like that look.
Agreed. Keep it simple. My truck has too much sh!t on it.

Any secret to getting that off without breaking any of the fasteners or clips holding it in place?

I actually had no problems removing it. I used on of the plastic trim removal 'pry bars' that came from harbor freight 6.99 for 5 tools or something. Gentle prying didn't break any of them.

Now the driver's side and passenger side....different story and different clips from the rearmost clips.

I actually managed to salvage a ton of them and snagged a few more from a junkyard cruiser. Let me know if you need any and I'll send them your way.

I actually had no problems removing it. I used on of the plastic trim removal 'pry bars' that came from harbor freight 6.99 for 5 tools or something. Gentle prying didn't break any of them.

Now the driver's side and passenger side....different story and different clips from the rearmost clips.

I actually managed to salvage a ton of them and snagged a few more from a junkyard cruiser. Let me know if you need any and I'll send them your way.
Thanks! I noticed a tiny bit of rust creeping from under them a few days ago, so wanted to see the extent of it underneath, but was hesitant cause I didn't want to break the trim piece or clips. I have that plastic pry bars set, so I will attempt it.
image.jpeg

Started to repair some of the golf ball dings sustained during previous ownership. Just want to get it all smooth and with a bit of protection. Full hood respray will happen in a week or two..
20160214_103654.jpg

image.jpeg
Thanks! I noticed a tiny bit of rust creeping from under them a few days ago, so wanted to see the extent of it underneath, but was hesitant cause I didn't want to break the trim piece or clips. I have that plastic pry bars set, so I will attempt it.
View attachment 1208398

Good call. This is what it looked like under mine so I'm glad I took it off just to clean the gunk. Def the makings for a rust area if the paint was chipped anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom