4-runner 4.88 gears for my 92 22re truck with 33's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.PM me this wknd if you have any questions.

Here is a few pictures that compares ADD vs non-ADD tubes.

20160212_175449.jpg
20160212_175449.jpg
20160212_175513.jpg
20160212_175543.jpg
20160212_175607.jpg
20160212_175624.jpg

Last edited:
So what is nd how do I keep it from sliding, or disengaging, axle if I donr have the ADD linkage.
axle4.jpg

If it were me, (I just did exactly this...) I would Ditch the entire ADD tube and use the non-ADD. The collar you circled is for the engagement of the ADD tube only. You don't need it. You will need to buy an oil seal for the Diff. The ADD system doesn't use a seal on the driver side so that the tube gets lubed. The non ADD system uses an oil seal on both sides of the diff. NOTE: you will need to swap out your hubs if you do this. The ADD system uses a drive flange and not a selectable hub. I suggest finding a set of manual locking hubs( make sure they are for IFS). The other option is to find a set of automatic locking hubs like from the 1st gen 4runners. If you don't remove the drive flanges you will be rotating your entire front end all the time... Even in 2wd.

axle3.jpg
Thanks ST,

We have the manual hubs on the truck already, that is what originally came with the 4-cyl truck. As for using the non-ADD tube & s ide gear shaft, how would we remove the gear shown in this picture?

Use a large flat head screw driver. From inside the diff , use it as a wedge to pry the stub gear off. It isn't too hard. There is a retaining ring that you will be forcing out. But again , not too much force needed.

Sometimes it's easier to pry it out from the outside.

I was just looking back on your pics. It looks like you don't have the retaining ring/c-clip on the end of your Non-ADD tube. You will definitely want that!

Sometimes it's easier to pry it out from the outside.
I was just looking back on your pics. It looks like you don't have the retaining ring/c-clip on the end of your Non-ADD tube. You will definitely want that!

ST,

Got it out. Thank you very much for your help and educating me on this!!! Time to order the oil seals tomorrow and put it back together.

ML

done.jpg

Hell yea, anytime man. clean that thing up, Slap in a seal and good to go! I used RTV sealant at all mating surfaces. It just crossed my mind that you should be able to re-use the retaining ring from the ADD stub you removed on the non ADD tube. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom