Builds Dirty Bastard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a doubler that was around 4:1 with an auto, 4:10's and 35" boggers when I had cruiser axles and it seemed plenty low for crawling.

This looks like a cool build!

Last edited:
Luckily I don't have to worry about street tires, but after my last set of beadlocks, I don't think I'll ever run anything with a locking "ring" again. The last set were very heavy (and I'd prefer not to run aluminum in the rocks), or I have to deal with torn beads or broken bolts (my friend has these issues constantly). I think all of this is what sold me on a steel wheel with rock rings and stauns, maybe you should look at the same?

Last edited:
I picked up an NP241 over the weekend for next to nothing (a serious pain in the ass to tear down for parts), so I'm going to run the NWF ecobox/205 doubler. It's the same cost as their 203/205 kit and saves about six inches in drive train length.
I'll have a 4l60e in the next day or so, and have my eye on a vortec, so with a little luck I'll have the entire drive parts waiting in my garage. I still need to pick up tires, but as soon as I have those I'll start picking up everything I need for links and start burning some steel.
I'm trying to accrue everything I need to get a rolling chassis together so I can have all of the large parts of the project done so that I'm not dealing with wiring and all of the other small stuff at the same time.

Awesome

I've been thinking about the ecobox doubler for a round pattern GM 205 that I have. I like the 2.72 reduction better than the 203 box. I might have to save up extra pennys for the titan box in order to stuff all of it in a 40 though.

I've been thinking about the ecobox doubler for a round pattern GM 205 that I have. I like the 2.72 reduction better than the 203 box. I might have to save up extra pennys for the titan box in order to stuff all of it in a 40 though.
The Titan is a great, but very expensive option. When I had it in my head to do a drivetrain swap in my 80; I'd talked to NWF about that option and found that, personally, I'd go with an atlas for just a few hundred more. In the case of a 40, a doubler adds a lot of troubles, especially if you're not extending the wheelbase quite a bit. Luckily, I won't have these troubles in a buggy. I'll just build around things and move things as far forward as I can inside of the frame.

Last edited:
Go Atlas 4spd. I put one in a Ramcharger that I built from scratch and that truck was unstopable on 39.5 iroks. I sold that rig one year ago and I'm now kicking myself bc the transfer case is the heart of a 4X4. I didn't know this until I ran an atlas.

Personally ive never been much of a buggy guy. I like being able to turn the heat on and go on a snow run or drive my rig to work throughout the week. What made u sell your 40? That thing was sweet. BTW, what is a Titan?
The 40 wouldn't work with the family, which was sad. I had such fun with it, but fitting everyone in just wasn't possible. I'll have heat, heated seats, and heated outdoor blankets in the buggy. We'll be plenty warm.

Go Atlas 4spd. I put one in a Ramcharger that I built from scratch and that truck was unstopable on 39.5 iroks. I sold that rig one year ago and I'm now kicking myself bc the transfer case is the heart of a 4X4. I didn't know this until I ran an atlas.
An atlas is 4x the cost of the ecobox setup. Definitely not an apples to apples comparison.

That's it. It replaces the input shaft on the 205 so it is only 5" longer than without. The ecobox is about 7.5" and not quite as strong.

You even got the K case :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom