What areas to check for rust? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a locked '97 LC in my area. Seems as some of the underside components are a tad rusty due to the HWY driving in my area. Body mounts seem like they are toast if you pull them off, exhaust connections are the same. I didn't really find any post that gave the areas that needed the most scrutiny. I did see a few things about the rear hatch and lower door areas. I'd bet I can get it on a lift for a better inspection.

So what areas should be inspected to be sure the vehicle is worth my money?

Two for starters....

Back hatch. Bottom of glass. Likes to bubble rust along weatherstripping usually to the right side of the wiper and key access. Slide a credit card under the gasket to see if smooth or crunchy

Where rear ended of rocker panels transition to the front of rear wheel well. Common spot to hold mud or road salt and lead to decay

But if body mounts are as you describe it would sound like a safety issue to me and not worth any amount to put yourself or family in harms way depending on severity

Where rear ended of rocker panels transition to the front of rear wheel well. Common spot to hold mud or road salt and lead to decay

When I bought my rig a little over a year ago, this area looked perfect from the outside. This is what it looks like today:

rust.jpg

Pull up carpet/plastic interior pieces to look down in there.

I need to look at them better but to clarify my comment. The mounts have the threaded end and stud sticking out of them. This threaded end and nut are pretty crusty.

IMO, anyone buying a truck from an area that uses salt should take a look at the brake lines, especially the lines that run along the driver frame rail with a focus on the area between the frame rail and fuel tank. Salt accumulates in that area and the brake lines will rust through. I had that happen and when you spring a leak you'll lose braking which is very dangerous.

I've never seen rust on an 80 Series. We give that to the 60 Series out here in CA!

i had some corrosion issues on my old cruiser inside the rear fenders where the seat belt mounting plates are and also the upper rear shock bolts.

Looking at a locked '97 LC in my area. Seems as some of the underside components are a tad rusty due to the HWY driving in my area. Body mounts seem like they are toast if you pull them off, exhaust connections are the same. I didn't really find any post that gave the areas that needed the most scrutiny. I did see a few things about the rear hatch and lower door areas. I'd bet I can get it on a lift for a better inspection.

So what areas should be inspected to be sure the vehicle is worth my money?

You may have already found your truck but hopefully the advice below will be of use to someone.

I looked at roughly 50-75 80s (up and down the East coast) in the six months I was searching before I found my LX. Many of these started with Craigslist ad pictures and, believe it or not, I found a strong correlation between the rust/corrosion visible on the horn mounting bolts (usually visible in the hood up engine pics) to the rust I was going to find under the truck. That front crossmember is exposed to roadspray and eventually it got to the point that I could reliably disregard ads that claimed "rust free" or "southern truck" just by zooming in on those mounting bolts.

To your original question, the one rusty spot i found on my LX was the center hole on the inside of the rearmost cross member (where the 4 pintle hitch mounting holes are). The plastic rear bumper cover hides this area on the LX and seemed to trap moisture there.

You will likely find rust on the port installed options.

These will be:
Roof Rack (rusted hardware and roof surface)
Rear Spoiler (same)
Running Boards
Rear Hitch Bracket.

All these were pretty bad on my rig, but the rig spent most of her life in Houston, followed by a year maybe in Minnesota. For the most part, things don't have much rust on them though, and have been fairly easy to work with. I try to keep corrosion protection like Fluid Film on parts, especially during the winter months.

I have found rust on my truck body around the front body mount in the passenger wheel well and under the rear bumper cover on the passenger side. To my surprise, I had none under my roof rack or rear spoiler. I also have a good bit of surface rust on some of the seam welds on the frame.

I'm going to treat all these areas in the spring.

Check the Rear Rockers Behind the Rubber Flaps.
I did not, but wish I would have.
Truck lived in North Carolina most of it's life and rest of frame looks like that in picture with no signs of rust.
This is a bad design as it traps salt and debris that hold moisture.
IMG_4696.JPG
IMG_4695.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom