craigslist 1974 FJ55 - Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes this one has been up before, I talked to the owner seems like a cool guy, said it was a frame on restoration

I emailed back and forth. There is some rust popping through.

0 (1).jpg
0 (2).jpg
0.jpg

it did. I emailed him back and forth quite a few times. He says its not rust, just bubbling in the paint. He said the lowest he can go is $13,000. I found an old listing on it for $25,000 or something like that. It is sad. I love that color.

I don't think that's bubbling in the paint, I have had a few vehicles that were not prepped correctly (rust removed) and they all bubbled like that under the paint.

I guess I couldn't say without seeing it. It looked like a solid 55.

Dang, bummer about the spots and that may be why this has been on the market... forever. I really like 55's and have been wanting another, I sold mine when gas was hitting $5 a gallon in Ca. and with my rig getting about 10 mpg I let her go. Anyways back to this 55, yea, with those rust bubbles and the owner claiming a restoration some recent years ago, it makes me question the work done.

"Just" bubbles in the paint, but rust is coming through.......
Even if just paint bubbles, why is moisture pushing rust out? Would lead me to believe that primer did not bond if actually paint bubbles, or that the cavity of the roof was not treated from the inside, and is rusting through (more likely).

$13k doesn't seem too bad for this truck, especially since it looks so solid. One of the ads he posted he says being a magnet and check it everywhere.

The roof channel kinda scares me though, since body work isn't something I aspire to get good at.

I think if he'd come down a few thousand I'd seriously look at it. Id fix the roof then paint it white or try to match the color and put a roof rack on it. $13k just seems like a lot with the roof issues. That paint job is my favorite so far.

Last edited:
I emailed him again asking if he'd go down on his price, but he said ne and that he had to have $13k for it.

I emailed him again asking if he'd go down on his price, but he said ne and that he had to have $13k for it.
No one ever HAS to have asking price, unless they owe money on it. Guessing he is just trying to recoup some of his spendings thus far, which is understandable.

It's been on the market for quite a while now. I'd personally wait and search. If it's still for sale in a couple more months, perhaps he'll come down then......

If I could find one as nice as this for 6.5k I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

The roof stuff is weird, badly prepped for paint? The pics don't show the roof or other areas to be wavy like it's full of glass or filler...

If I could find one as nice as this for 6.5k I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

The roof stuff is weird, badly prepped for paint? The pics don't show the roof or other areas to be wavy like it's full of glass or filler...

Probably is all original.

The rust is finally making itself known. If you've never had a 55 roof apart before, it's hard to visualize. Where the roof pieces are stamped together, there is a seam around the rain gutter. There was some factory sealant, but that is long gone. Water gets in, and there is a gap between the two pieces, so it rusts from the inside out. IF you look at a pig with no headliner, you can see the gap around the edge of the roof inside the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom