Multi meter suggestions...brands/price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I need to purchase a multi-meter to be able to successfully do electrical work on my Cruiser and other vehicles. Currently I "think" the alternator or VR might be bad on my 60, but I have no way to check it because the neighbor who I usually borrow the meter from is away...
I would like a meter that would allow me to do a variety of things mostly automotive, but I assume that it could come in handy for household work as well. I also want something that does not require an electrical engineering degree to operate.
So does anyone have any specific suggestions? What brand? Price range? Any Amazon links?

Thank you,
Zack

What is your budget?

I have a Fluke 179 at the office that is very nice, but it's probably overkill for most. I didn't pay for it.

I also have a cheap Craftsman model that I carry in my truck, it also does everything I need. I think it was $15 on sale.

Features to look for: current measurement up to 10A at least, 20A is better (make sure it's fused, and the fuses are easily replaced and available). Temperature probe option is sometimes handy. Peak hold is sometimes useful. Audible tone on continuity. Sturdy probes with long leads and clips.

for most truck and household stuff, the Harbor Freight freebies should be sufficient (see thread here somewhere). I have a Fluke and better and I still use the HF ones a lot...

I actually use a simple 12V test lead more than a meter for automotive work. But a meter is extremely useful sometimes.

Within reason, the more you spend, the better your meter will be. For most electrical work, you need voltage, resistance and occasionally current. Things like continuity "beeps" are nice. Fluke meters kind of set the standard, but are pretty expensive. I have a $50 Extech and several HF cheapies. If my Extech goes bad, I'm jumping to a Fluke, just because I use the meter all the time and want a good one.

This guy is entertaining:

Ok my wife ordered me the meter above this morning on prime, I should have it shortly. Is the meter basically idiot proof for a person such as myself? I need to check if my alternator is cranking out any power. What setting should I use for the alternator?

It's pretty simple. Watch a video on youtube if you have any doubts, most meters are similar.

You're looking for DC Voltage, around 14 DC volts to your battery. Obviously while running.

Alternator testing with a hand-held meter is pretty limited to basic dc voltage change - it should go from 12.5/13v up to at least 13.8-14.5 once the engine is started . Other option is a more expensive meter with a range clamp that can read current flow and show amps in dc - you would just load the system with headlights/heater blower and such and watch for the change . Otherwise , there are hand-held (albeit large & heavy) carbon pile load testers available - never buy a lightweight cheap one . Keep an eye out on Ebay - if you do a lot of work those older Sun load test/amp test meters for vehicles are sometimes pretty cheap and they are fairly durable .

Sarge

Fluke is one of the major players in quality MM, would not hesitate at all to buy a Fluke...(I have two), one of which is probably 20 years old at this point.

I love to buy good tools that will last " forever ?" so I take my time and savings and got a Fluke and Fluke amp DC clamp .. ( I use the clamp just 3 or 4 times .. ) if you are patient eBay it's your friend ..

Within reason, the more you spend, the better your meter will be. For most electrical work, you need voltage, resistance and occasionally current. Things like continuity "beeps" are nice. Fluke meters kind of set the standard, but are pretty expensive. I have a $50 Extech and several HF cheapies. If my Extech goes bad, I'm jumping to a Fluke, just because I use the meter all the time and want a good one.

This guy is entertaining:

stay away from extech , never had any luck with them . i would rather use my test light then trust an extech .

for light electric and 12 volt stuff of low ampacity, just about any meter will work. if you are working on REAL electricity, get a FLUKE. your life may depend on it. That said, I also like OLD analog meters. but then I also drive 30YO trucks...HTH

Hi everyone,
I need to purchase a multi-meter to be able to successfully do electrical work on my Cruiser and other vehicles. Currently I "think" the alternator or VR might be bad on my 60, but I have no way to check it because the neighbor who I usually borrow the meter from is away...
I would like a meter that would allow me to do a variety of things mostly automotive, but I assume that it could come in handy for household work as well. I also want something that does not require an electrical engineering degree to operate.
So does anyone have any specific suggestions? What brand? Price range? Any Amazon links?

Thank you,
Zack

Well anything Fluke is the bomb, but I've had an Extech minitec 26 for a good fifteen + years and it's as good as the day I got it.

41D0BJMAYHL.jpg

Last edited:
stay away from extech , never had any luck with them . i would rather use my test light then trust an extech .

Really...? What was wrong with them may I ask?

Not that it matters, but my Extech has been good. Nice solid dial, accurate read outs, and the auto range thing seems like a gimmick but works fine. I have blown the 10 amp fuse twice measuring current and no apparent damage to the meter. The fuses are a bit hard to find (but naturally, Amazon has them).

Next time out though, it's a Fluke, even if it costs $300. It's a life time tool, so good quality pays you in the end.

Not that it matters, but my Extech has been good. Nice solid dial, accurate read outs, and the auto range thing seems like a gimmick but works fine. I have blown the 10 amp fuse twice measuring current and no apparent damage to the meter. The fuses are a bit hard to find (but naturally, Amazon has them).

Next time out though, it's a Fluke, even if it costs $300. It's a life time tool, so good quality pays you in the end.

flukes are great , i own 3 flukes only one has ever gave me problems .

my favorite model , works like a charm . its really nice for working on larger equipment with no help .

Fluke 233 Remote Display Multimeter
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/caen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-233.htm?PID=56054

My go to meter is the Klein CL2000. (400A AC/DC True RMS Clamp Meter - CL2000 | Klein Tools - For Professionals since 1857)

I picked mine up new at a pawn shop for $70 and have seen them go on eBay for $50-$100.

I also have a top of the line Fluke 87V, but usually grab my Klein because it is smaller and has a magnet on the back, making it easy to attach to a fender, door, etc while making measurements. The built in current clamp is a very nice feature too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom