2.2kw Starter Source -- Found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
So, rather than haunt the boneyards for a '93 starter to rebuild, I did a hard search for a source of remanufactured / new 2.2kw starters. Found some guy hawking them for $1400 (good luck with that). Tilton's a wash, ditto Powermaster. Mean Green has an all-new one--for $300.

And then there's the reman from Delco Remy, which is I believe Toyota's current OEM starter supplier.

Remy P/N 17186

$82 with core from RockAuto.com, $134 without.

It has ten teeth, btw--just like the one that came out.

Case closed (I think; more from the collective Brain Trust below).

=======

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Last I heard, Denso is OE, like forever. IIRC, Remy is/was a GM brand?

My guess; in the box that arrives from brown santa, will be a 2.0kw, there aren't that many 2.2 cores.

I recently had a fresh Remy apart (from a 2F), not impressed, failed early, like new. One of the contacts was installed incorrectly, angled, only contacted one edge. This held the plunger, up causing it to randomly no start. All of the replaced parts were generic (not the worst thing, they work), the main gasket was left out so water could flow in/out, had no breathers, and spotty workmanship.

Have had a ton of Toyota starters apart, and none of the aftermarket (including "mean" green) come close to the quality of Denso, IMHO. If your just looking for a sig line, "I have the biggest starter", go for the 2.2. They are out there, post a wanted add, then rebuild it.

I have one that clicks, only needs contacts, it's used to start a parts rig, when done with it, will likely never use it. They are an older, more fiddly design, a one year wonder, so parts are harder to find, IMHO, less reliable. Reliability is my first priority in a starter, so my first choice is the Denso 2.0, close second Denso 1.4, either work and are solid, dependable.

Last reman Denso I had failed in 2 days; obviously not typical but I do hear it happens more than it used to. I'm told Toy dropped Denso, went with Delco Remy. I'm thinking, if it's good enough for Toyota... The Remy spec on these is 2.2kw; don't know whether they're using newer housings (as you say, they can't ALL be '93s) or rearranging the innards--but, so far, working like a champ...

Last edited:
Bruh, no way delco is supplier for toyota. Absolute junk. Whoever is feeding you that koolaid hopefully is not in the parts business. What do you need the cold start 2.2kw for your in socal? >> 2kw is all you need >> Amazon.com: Denso 280-0169 Remanufactured Starter: Automotive
It did surprise me; I also thought Denso was OEM. Apparently Toyota changed suppliers several years ago. Who knew?

The truck isn't staying in SoCal. Last I heard, CDan favored the '93 2.2kw, and he's in NM.

Last edited:
Remy/Delco IS NOT the supplier for Toyota starter's.

Now, Remy/Delco might be "rebuilding" them for Toyota using Denso parts here in the US but that would be the extent of any involvement.

Remy/Delco IS NOT the supplier for Toyota starter's.

Now, Remy/Delco might be "rebuilding" them for Toyota using Denso parts here in the US but that would be the extent of any involvement.

Thanks for the info! Rebuilding them using Denso parts? Not sure I'm getting the distinction there? You mean even if Delco Remy is doing the rebuilds, they're using Denso parts for those they supply to Toyota--but those they sell themselves are (or might be) using different parts?

Last edited:
The pictures look like a 2.0kw. The picture I had seen the 2.2kw had Internal bolts. Here is a picture side by side from left to right 2.2 to 1.4.

image.jpeg

Delco is not rebuilding for denso either.

Thanks for the input. My info was, they're supplying Toyota--which beno says they or may not be (when it comes to rebuilds). Didn't think they were doing Denso rebuilds; I assume they're competitors in that market.

Mmmm. Seems things may not be as simple as they first appeared. Another member sent me an awesome PM on this, I'm asking him to post it up here. That's what I love about this place; so much collective experience, the right answer will be found. And once I get into researching something, I wanna go all the way. So let's get to the bottom of this... :bang:

The pictures look like a 2.0kw. The picture I had seen the 2.2kw had Internal bolts. Here is a picture side by side from left to right 2.2 to 1.4.

View attachment 1207918

Thanks for the pix! Let's figure this out. Here's the Delco Remy page, which shows a photo with external bolts, and claims 2.2kw.

17186 NDWODT Reman Starter | Product Details | Delco Remy

So, my question would be: assuming their spec power rating is correct--perhaps they're assembling parts that yield 2.2kw inside a case OTHER than the original '93 case. Which would mean there is now a 2.2 that looks (on the outside) like a 2.0. Another member sent me some info about '93 2.2 cases that would give anyone doing 2.2s today good reason (aside from scarcity) to find a different case. If that's the case (so to speak), then we may no longer be able to tell a 2.2 just by inspecting the outside.

Btw, looking at the photos I put up, I can see some small differences between the one that came out (apparently a 2.0, judging by grizzlygibbs' photo) and the Remy reman. (For example: last photo, bottom left; the metal around the old starter's bolt hole is beefier side-to-side than it is on the new one (which is either cutting costs or using stronger metal/design).) Maybe there were slight diffs in Toyota's production run--or maybe this is actually a different case. I don't know (yet).

Think I'll ask Remy about this...

Last edited:
The picture cam from this thread 2.2 kw 2.0 kw and 1.4 kw starters

I just remember seeing 2.2 were bigger and had a different case. I am not familiar with the 2.2 only in that the ones on 93's had only 9 teeth and a different case, along with different guts as well. That is as far as my knowledge and understanding goes.

Bigger is not always better.

I have in fact argued against some bigger alternators in another thread. Bigger--or more powerful--ain't always better. Then again, sometimes...it is.

I mean, we could all drive Vitaras and get 25mpg.

Last edited:
I got a 2.2kw starter in the LX that we (Tools and I) picked up from a local Import Car parts house :D

IIRC, price was around 100 bucks or so - I think I didn't have a core because I kept the old one to rebuild one of these days . . .

and, the 2F aftermarket starter Tools is referring to was from my 40 :doh: (acquired from Georg two years ago)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom