Burning rubber smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, this is my first postingredients and I am hoping for some advice. I have a 97 LC with 290xxx miles. I have noticed a burning rubber smell, occasionally, when I turn off the vehicle. It seems to be coming from the passenger side. I have read that it could be the A/C belt and I have very recently replaced it, and the other belts as well. I inspected the A/C belt and it looks like there is some wear on it already. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

Hey, this is my first postingredients and I am hoping for some advice. I have a 97 LC with 290xxx miles. I have noticed a burning rubber smell, occasionally, when I turn off the vehicle. It seems to be coming from the passenger side. I have read that it could be the A/C belt and I have very recently replaced it, and the other belts as well. I inspected the A/C belt and it looks like there is some wear on it already. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

Man, I've had that same thing for a while now. I've sniffed all over the place and not come up with anything. Haven't found anything melting, belts are fine. The kicker is... it only seems to happen when I'm driving in slushy, wintry conditions.

Sorry I can't help but I'm curious if you come up with any answers.

when this is happening have you popped the hood and touched the AC belt (to check temp) after you shut down the engine? Does your AC clutch allow the ac pulley to spin freely when the system is disengaged (can test by taking the belt off and spinning it with your hand, should have little to no resistance). Does the pulley have any play in it? up, down, side to side? Is it aligned with the main pulley? Did you tension the belt correctly when you installed it?

Rubber is one of the few materials that actually *contracts as it gets hot, so if the ac pulley has resistance of any kind or the belt is loose on it then the belt may slowly slip. Once it gets warmer it could grip more causing it to smoke.

If everything on the ac side is fine, then tell me if your passenger side foot well hot when you experience this?

Last edited:
Maybe you're using protection and smoking after sex?

If it's a 3FE it's from peeling out at stop lights! If it isn't a 3FE then it's probably what @SmokingRocks was saying. Had my AC pulley seize up last fall. Rubber was literally melting and throwing all over the place. Replaced the compressor (or is it a condenser?) with the pulley attached and all is good since.

Hey @BILT4ME check your inbox. I messaged you.

Sorry for the hijack.

Check your belts @120mm Would bet that your fan belts are the issue. If they are then you need to figure out why they are stalling out.

Check your egr / engine harness area, as i'm sure you are aware it is a common area for heat damage. I would also check any thing foam or rubber around the exhaust headers and cats. I think the AC line into the cab runs past the headers and should have heat wrap on it to protect the insulation.

Are your cats heat shields still in place? Are they functioning correctly? If you are running rich the cats could be running hot and you could be melting near by sound deadening or carpet.

Without being there I am running out of ideas anyone else want to chime in?

So I check the belts...the A/C belt was not hot to the touch at all. The Fan belts were pretty warm. The floorboard of the passenger side didn't feel noticeably warm. I will take off the A/C belt and attempt to spin the pulley. If it does not spin or has play in it, do I need to replace the whole unit? Should it be OEM or is aftermarket ok? Egr system has been replaced recently.

I am starting to think its not the belts, check the ac pulley for play and resistance but I would bet its fine.

I would most definitely check to see if the harness around the EGR is showing signs of melting.

Is the smell stronger inside than it is out?

The smell is not inside at all...only outside on the passenger side. I'll check the harness too. Thank you

I've always attributed it to driveshaft grease being flung on/near the exhaust system....but I notice it too at times.

I've smelt the exact same thing for the last easy 12+ yrs from mine.

2 axle rebuilds, about every freaking part underhood changed, moved, cleaned, checked at some point or for some reason over the years too - I finally came to same conclusion it's just oil or such that seeps from motor down catching the downpipes.

I''s always the same intensity, always from the RF wheelwell. Only notice when either right on it or within ~2-3' of the fender, or a faint breeze.

I agree Jeffro, and I've had hands on freaking everything at some point in the years since purchase (2002). Only thing constant in the ~14+ yrs is a dripping pan seal & a way for some oil to keep a 'protective layer' on the underside of powertrain. I see a single dime spot of oil on clean concrete if I let it sit ~48 hrs. A thin film coming off my front main looks like the spot when I clean & detail the engine / bay.

That could be my issue. The front axle is a mess...about to get on that one in the next couple weeks.

I've smelt the exact same thing for the last easy 12+ yrs from mine.

2 axle rebuilds, about every freaking part underhood changed, moved, cleaned, checked at some point or for some reason over the years too - I finally came to same conclusion it's just oil or such that seeps from motor down catching the downpipes.

I''s always the same intensity, always from the RF wheelwell. Only notice when either right on it or within ~2-3' of the fender, or a faint breeze.

I agree Jeffro, and I've had hands on freaking everything at some point in the years since purchase (2002). Only thing constant in the ~14+ yrs is a dripping pan seal & a way for some oil to keep a 'protective layer' on the underside of powertrain. I see a single dime spot of oil on clean concrete if I let it sit ~48 hrs. A thin film coming off my front main looks like the spot when I clean & detail the engine / bay.

Good to know. It's easy to get paranoid about something like this, but then when you hear other people experience the same thing, it puts the mind at ease, somewhat.

Still doesn't mean this rig isn't looking for some new and interesting way to make me spend money, though. ;)

I added 35s (haven't installed my lift) and noticed that the exhaust is extremely close (maybe an inch) to my passenger rear tire. I can see this getting pretty warm and maybe causing a burnt rubber smell. Might be worth looking at. It's a 1993 FZJ80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom