8274 rebuild update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello
So a while back I posted a picture of an 8274 I scored for $200 on Craigslist . It's been taken all apart and media blasted , I've ordered a brake rebuild kit, a lower seal kit ,3 shiny new rubber booties for the 3 wires that bolt ontop of the motor, and a shiny new solenoid cover too. I'm in the process of priming and painting all the big peaces now and I'll post a picture when that's done . I was actually on the fence about painting honestly Cuz it looked so good clean and raw. Also warn is sending me new stickers for it free ! Thanks warn !

image.jpg

hello
So a while back I posted a picture of an 8274 I scored for $200 on Craigslist . It's been taken all apart and media blasted , I've ordered a brake rebuild kit, a lower seal kit ,3 shiny new rubber booties for the 3 wires that bolt ontop of the motor, and a shiny new solenoid cover too. I'm in the process of priming and painting all the big peaces now and I'll post a picture when that's done . I was actually on the fence about painting honestly Cuz it looked so good clean and raw. Also warn is sending me new stickers for it free ! Thanks warn !
Oh did I mention the hours of polishing on the top cooling ridges ?

Rebuilding mine too. About to paint today. Cleaning those ribs is a painfully tedious chore. I used a few different shaped mini wire wheels for my Dremel to do most of the tough stuff then solvents, brushes and q-tips to get the rest.

Keep up the good work. I didn't notice but did you add a drain and fill? I'm adding those and a breather for mine.

Rebuilding mine too. About to paint today. Cleaning those ribs is a painfully tedious chore. I used a few different shaped mini wire wheels for my Dremel to do most of the tough stuff then solvents, brushes and q-tips to get the rest.

Keep up the good work. I didn't notice but did you add a drain and fill? I'm adding those and a breather for mine.
Hi thanks , I'm just about done with paint , I'll post some pics later today or tommorw of the painted peaces, I did not add a drain and fill plug, was gonna but to be honest , this winch is going to get very very little use.

Ps the media blasting only cost me $60. Something to consider I guess ..

I paid $50 to have the fill and drain. It's all where we choose to put the money.

I don't winch a lot so I can't justify throwing too much money at the project. So, I went with new high strength 3/8 steel cable but splurged on a self locking grade 80 hook.

I put the last coats of paint on mine today but won't get around to assembling it for another week. What paint colour did you choose? I did battleship grey for everything except the drum, the sprocket on the brake assembly, and the disk that mounts to the side of the casing that's for the pawl. Those items are semi gloss black. To finish it off I'll sand the top ribs to bare metal and maybe paint only the inside of those top ribs with the black.

Look forward to seeing how your project comes along

Nice work. Finished product looks great!
thanks a bunch. to be honest , i kinda wish i left the case raw. the paint came out ok but not as nice as ide wanted. looks decent though. but i kinda wish i left it clean and bright when i had the chance . come to think of it, i dont think those old ones (like this one) had any paint on the case at all. i know the newer ones are powder coated though..

Yeah that looks bad ass. I shoulda left it raw and just polished the top ridges . Oh well , next time

I shoulda left it raw and just polished the top ridges . Oh well , next time
I don't know... I had to source a decent lower case for my resto. Had them powder coated. I'm not going to worry about polishing out the ribs. This one is going on a portable mount:

The mount has also been powder coated black the same as the winch drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom