PROJECT FRANKENWAGON!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, just doing a small introduction as I am the proud new owner of a 1970 piggy. I purchased Jared's (MslaFJ55) rig For Sale: - 1970 FJ55 Missoula, Montana -it's time and I'm currently setting up transport.

Unfortunately, I wont even see her for the next 6 or so months as I am leaving for deployment soon. While I'm gone I'm leaving her in the capable hands of Rob (offr0adlim0) as I've used him previously. I had him do some work to my 60 while I was away at a training exercise. I normally don't outsource work I'm capable of doing myself but with a deployment/baby due in May/potential relocation when I get back I cant swing a full restomod myself. She will need new sheet metal in places, i.e; rockers, around windshield, some floor work, and various other suspension and brake work but I consider that second nature stuff. I'm having Rob do the simple things *coughLSSWAPcough* and add AC to boot!!!

Ive been reading through various threads, especially all the project builds and I hope you guys don't mind if I ask questions that have been asked before. Where I'm going ill have limited bandwidth and its just easier for me to ask here than waste precious data searching...

Im trying to keep this a mud member build as I've gotten nothing but great help through the years here. Purchased both my 40 and 60 from members here, and always tried to used site vendors as well. Currently in talks with Steve (a1500ram) about his repro interior panels, and trying to get Aaron (Riverrunner) to setup transport.

Well enough typing, here are some pictures....itll be slow for the first few months as Ill only have what Rob sends me but it'll pickup 10 fold when I get back as the piggy will be my DD just like the others.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Speedhut style gauges I plan on using.

Potential front bumper? I'm assuming this self made and not a kit??

And color scheme I'm into right now. Wife wasn't pleased with the sale of my 60 as it was supposed to be the "last one" lol. Went from a 74 40 w/SBC swap, 69 bronco, 85 4 door Gelandewagen w/om603 5 spd swap, to the 60. Had a lot into the 60 but with potential orders back to CA, selling her would be inevitable as returning to stock was not an option. Thus my search for a 75 and below year 4x4. Choices were between the 55, 67-72 suburban, or a international travelall. Wife saw this 55 done up and jumped on board.

Can anyone give me the color codes for this tan magic rig, also need the color for the grill...thought I saw that way back when in rattle can form.

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

Welcome to the 55 group and a very heart felt thank you for serving, something I don't take lightly. That tan one is not Toyota colors ( that I know of), it's a Jonathan Ward build. I use the Speedhut gauges also, but don't have enough time on them to judge.

Get back safe and have good time dreaming about your 55, time will go quicker.

Ron, dont tell me that. I think it was your thread that steered me toward getting those gauges. I liked the idea of not having to hack the dash to fit 7 new gauges and the fact I could run off of GPS for an accurate MPH reading. Oh and does this Jonathan Ward fellow exist on this forum?

John, I lived in San Diego for 31 years and have gone through many a restoration. Ive only been gone for 2 years so please correct me if im wrong or maybe I just cant read but 1975 and below vehicles still don't need smog correct? I.e; there's no need for state ref and all that other nonsense correct?

Here's a link to some videos of ICON, which Jonathan Ward owns..Jonathan Ward

Sorry on the gauges, I'll know more this Spring when it gets on the road.

I've heard 75 and lower do not need smog. I'm more pointing out that smog legal in CA isn't as difficult as many people try to make it out to be. Usually what turns it difficult is people trying to do funny business with tune or parts. LS swaps make it even easier (no smog pump, egr)

My 71 and 72 FJ55s are exempt. My 71 is fairly close to smog legal... basically a pair of cats and tune. My 72 won't be even remotely close(turbo'd)

Oh, on the gauges, I used a set from a company called Haneline(3n1). They also fit perfectly in the stock dash:
gaugesmount2_sml-jpg.332518

I picked them because they had a nice "even" factory feel to them. None of the 5 gauges on one side stuff.

I drive the speedo with the PCM. The PCM is using VSS sensors... you are using VSS(s) for your LSx swap right?

Those gauges look awesome. Mind saying what they cost? From an initial search, were they in the $450 range?

Sent from my iPhone

Welcome to the group. On the color of the grill question you asked above, check out JT Outfitters. They have a pewter colored rattle can that is fantastic for the grill. I used it on my pig and it looks great.

Bob, thanks for the offer!!! Hopefully im not too rusty when I get back and I can still hammer out some panels. I worked at a service/restoration shop for 10+ years before I joined the military. The metal guy at our shop was an oldschool bloke that worked at rolls royce before he moved to the states. He did the whole karate kid thing and wouldnt let me use any of the pneumatic hammers, shrinkers, etc. and had me build bucks and fiberglass tooling to shape panels. Of course at 21 I was like "what is this crap when will I ever need to use this," and low and behold here I am in my 1 car garage doing restomods with none of the equipment. My wife thinks im crazy when I pull of the road to pickup tires, stumps and stuff that I could use to shape panels....

Ron, I contacted Jonathan and he told me it was a Toyota beige that they added to too make it darker. Guess Ill spend hours at the local paint shop again going through swatches to find the combo I like. What color combo did you use on your slow71? As far as gauges I think ill just roll with the speedhuts, ive heard pretty good reviews about em.

Va, thanks for the heads up about the paint. Thats exactly what I was talking about...I remember years ago seeing a spray can version offered by one of the vendors.

Now i know I might get a better answer from the 40 crowd as far as swaps go but if i planning to go the automatic route (4L60) does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket steering columns i.e; ididit, flaming river, etc. Not really a fan of the floor type b&m.

The green on mine is a Toyota color 6H9, it wasn't used in the States and the white is called Sand Dune White. It's a 1956 Dodge pick up truck color. I was shooting for a tad bit creamer/darker that Toyota's Cygnus White, but I swear it's spot on. I can get the codes for you, if you want.

Thank you for your service!!

Take a look at the Classic Auto Air “street rod” heat/AC system or the Restomod Vapir II system, Ron has lots of pictures in his Slow 71 build thread, SLOW 71 and I have some in my Target Carrier build thread, Target carrier

Street Rod | OEM Factory Air Conditioning Parts & Restoration Services

Vapir II Custom Air Conditioning System - Restomod Air

I spent a bunch of time and money trying to restore my factory steering column and wheel in some sort of delusional Delancy induced ideological Toyota thing that will only make sense once you’ve spent a month or two down here in the sty. Anyway if I were smart or not easily influenced by Delancy and Scraps I would have bought an Ididit column, I’ve used them in the past and they are a great product and would plug and play in a pig especially if you’re going to update the wiring at the same time.

Ron and I both used the American Auto Wire highway 22 wiring harness and I would recommend looking in to one when you do your *coughLSSWAPcough*, The Toyota harness sucks and is not worth the time or money to try to retrofit.

Good luck and post lots “O” pictures..:beer::beer:

Hello all, just doing a small introduction as I am the proud new owner of a 1970 piggy. I purchased Jared's (MslaFJ55) rig For Sale: - 1970 FJ55 Missoula, Montana -it's time and I'm currently setting up transport.

Unfortunately, I wont even see her for the next 6 or so months as I am leaving for deployment soon. While I'm gone I'm leaving her in the capable hands of Rob (offr0adlim0) as I've used him previously. I had him do some work to my 60 while I was away at a training exercise. I normally don't outsource work I'm capable of doing myself but with a deployment/baby due in May/potential relocation when I get back I cant swing a full restomod myself. She will need new sheet metal in places, i.e; rockers, around windshield, some floor work, and various other suspension and brake work but I consider that second nature stuff. I'm having Rob do the simple things *coughLSSWAPcough* and add AC to boot!!!

Ive been reading through various threads, especially all the project builds and I hope you guys don't mind if I ask questions that have been asked before. Where I'm going ill have limited bandwidth and its just easier for me to ask here than waste precious data searching...

Im trying to keep this a mud member build as I've gotten nothing but great help through the years here. Purchased both my 40 and 60 from members here, and always tried to used site vendors as well. Currently in talks with Steve (a1500ram) about his repro interior panels, and trying to get Aaron (Riverrunner) to setup transport.

Well enough typing, here are some pictures....itll be slow for the first few months as Ill only have what Rob sends me but it'll pickup 10 fold when I get back as the piggy will be my DD just like the others.

Welcome to the Pig Sty!

Thank you for serving this great country, and congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Well, no real updates on the piggy yet but thought I'd troll the forums for a bit. Finally in a real-ish bed after 2 days in a plane. It's early in the morning here but I'm liking the scenery so far...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Somewhat bittersweet to read this post. I miss her for sure but it's great to see excitement about her again! Hey maybe when she's all fixed up you will get the bug for a new project and sell her back to me! Stay safe and keep us updated on progress.
By the way the AC that was suggested earlier is the way I was going some day.
Also gauges- there are some sweet ones I found that run off gps but look classic. I don't remember where I saw them but That is something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom