Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there is a guy on T4R.org (rad4runner?) that has tons of tips and tricks for the first gen.

He goes into quite a bit of detail on the windshield rubber.

Don't know if you've seen it.

I haven't seen it, but I know him. I'll ask, thanks!

I used flexitrim for my 4Runner's windshield. Found a 16' roll of the 26mm thick trim at a local auto glass installer for about $10. The installer used the black windshield FIPG stuff to seal the windshield and used the flexitrim to replace the chrome rust trap trim. Looks a lot better than the old chrome trim IMO and was much cheaper than the seal from Australia.

Part number for what I used is: FT2630-SA
20160204_103306.jpg
20160204_103256.jpg
20160204_103247.jpg

A little creativeness...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There was rust, but not bad really. So now to repair. It was every place there was a clip.

LOL KLF! I'm going to wait till I get a 4 door 70 series LC truck and then I'm going to get that carried away I'm sure!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Working on roof rack over cab.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Done.

The PO of my runner had a bike rack above the sunroof like that. It sat much lower than yours and his kid cracked the sunroof glass trying to force it open.

Yours look considerably stronger, and maybe dual purpose as a cooking surface? :grinpimp:

That's funny...my wife made the same grill crack! It's defiantly overkill. I made it higher so the sun roof could be opened.

Anyone know the best way to remove all the old rubbery glue so I get to the metal? Wire wheel I'm assuming.

On the windshield frame? I was able to scrape almost all of it out with my MultiMaster and a scraper blade, then get the residue with a knotted wire wheel in a grinder

Yes sir the window frame. It's almost gone and I was thinking a wire brush for the rest. I just wanna be sure there isn't any rust under any of it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Building sliders today...

Waiting to hear back on a seal to put around the windshield. Hoping to avoid using the chrome again, it's on hold for a week or so. I'll drop a diesel in it after I'm in Honduras for awhile and till then it'll be slow and steady!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Got more done. Gonna try to finish in the am.

One side done!...more or less.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They weigh just over 40# each, 80# both. After everything is powder coated I plan to put grip tape down them. Simplicity was the goal. Both done!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Getting closer to being done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom