How-To change a broken lug. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone confirm the OEM part number 9094202083 as the lugs? My google fu is weak this morning apparently. If it is 9094202083, looks like I can save some coin by going OEM vs the aftermarket brands that local parts store wants to order, (none in stock).

Not always an OEM part whore....but if the parts have to be ordered regardless and OEM is cheaper...

Can anyone confirm the OEM part number 9094202083 as the lugs? My google fu is weak this morning apparently. If it is 9094202083, looks like I can save some coin by going OEM vs the aftermarket brands that local parts store wants to order, (none in stock).

Not always an OEM part whore....but if the parts have to be ordered regardless and OEM is cheaper...
90942-02083 is correct P/n. Retail is $4.60 ea; most dealers have a few of these in stock.

You probably won't score OEM lugs from stealerships at $4.60 each. I just ordered these Gorilla 73148TXX instead of going the OEM route for lugs. From the reviews I've read, they're OEM quality. No rusting and a great price of $4.25/ea presently. These'll be used today when I get new shoes put on the rig.

Chrome Factory Style 14mm Lug Nut

LLC- Good point- OP- Lug bolts or Lug nuts?

I'll clarify-OEM "hub" nuts are $13.22 ea ( 90942-01103) and the OEM "hub" bolts are $4.60ea (90942-02083)

Good thread. Thanks for posting.

I also had a broken stud right after a trip to the tire shop. :mad:

Same here, my local tire shop broke 3 fricking studs! Luckily all on rear axle. They wanted to fix it I said no chance you are ever touching my truck again. Ate the cost of the studs and replacement lug nuts and put the studs in myself. Good thing is is much easier o nthe rear vs the front axle.

I learned that a while back with my 80 and my Civic, months after I had taken both in for tire rotations/alignment...

:bang:

I got 4 new tires on the Hundy. Brought it home, I was all happy. Decided to get 4 new shocks. Put on the rear shocks, no prob. Went to do the front shocks, and had to pull the front wheels for working room. That's when I found the overtorqued front stud. Had to twist it off. Overzealous tire shop kid with an air gun. I was pretty chapped.

You guys need to find better tire shops or do your own work. I've never had a broken wheel stud or bolt in almost 30 years of owning cars, lots of cruisers included in that time.

for you guys that are going through mud holes and the like; get yourself a small bottle of never seez and coat your studs with it; tire shops with inexperienced, low cost labor will overtighten them alot, that's if you don't get lucky and have one cross thread it and just keep going with the impact bc that's what they do when they realize the f'd up; it's almost impossible to pin it on them as well. I try to always watch them work on my vehicle but sometimes time doesn't allow for it. this stuff or similar works well and is available at most all parts stores.

s-l500.jpg

Anyone know the lug nut torque specs for the 2000, 16inch wheels?
One of my lugs broke off while driving. When i checked the other lug nuts on the same wheel they were all loose, and i could turn them by hand...

The dealer advised i need to repack the wheel bearings, while replacing one of the broken lugs. Does this seem right?

Possibly, if he felt some wobble while working on it.

jack your wheels off the ground. Put your hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position and try to move the wheel up/down. Very slight movement is okay. But if you feel to much play, then you may need new bearings.

He said the bearings were fine, but needed to be repacked after removing the broken lug nut stud.

If you've never done it and don't know the last time it was serviced, then you might want to.

Prob a good idea. It has 107k mi. and i bought it two years ago with 90k on it. Not sure if po did them.

The dealer advised i need to repack the wheel bearings, while replacing one of the broken lugs. Does this seem right?

That is right because you have to disassemble the front wheel hub to change a stud on the front end. Once you remove the preload and get crap in there I agree that it's time to have the bearings re-packed... should be done at regular intervals anyway and not add much cost at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom