Tool Roll Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your ordered a tool roll and have not PM me your address for shipping please, this way I can get you your final price sooner, I will be posting up some pics on the assembly today.

Here i am putting them together, i have tried to leave the flap on them, then put on the edging, but found the flaps got in the way and is was actually harder to put the edging on and sew on the pockets and strapping, so off the came.

First I clean up the edges

Next iron the edging (3/4" twill tape) in half

Line up the flaps, sew them on and then sew on the edging, this gives each flap a double stitch

Also got my bias tape today, look forward to using it

20160208_153001.jpg
20160208_160423.jpg
20160208_153122.jpg

All the rolls have been asked for this batch will take names for the next go, or if there is a cancellation

I was able to use the bias tape today to make some more Contents list pockets, and it was much easier, I bought the canvas one and it really worked well, very sticky-but not issues with the needle. I was able to attach the plastic before sewing, but you only get one shot-it is that sticky.

I will be working on some Medium rolls tomorrow and get some pictures of them, I am a little over half way through this first batch. I will need a break after this.

Here is a question for the group, how often should I change the needle on the sewing machine, it came with four needles, and I have done a lot of sewing on other projects as well, should I just wait till it breaks?

I wait till it snaps ... Or when you feel the tip has a bur or when the blade is bent... Sometimes when the timing jumps off a tad it can do that

I find when your watching the thread and needles point when it retract and buried it kinda frays the thread (you can see it when going slow) you may have a bur on the tip

That however is not very often...

Another time to replace is if you notice a bend to the needles blade... This could happen if the timing is off and also if your going thru thick stuff and it's pounding in too fast ... But that's not so often either

I received my two tool rolls. These are very nice! Thanks very much, Tanker!

Thought I was finished with the batch and realize I miss a Med roll so luckily I have enough material to make one, everyone on the list should have gotten a message that your roll was done and an shipping cost (except Bones...large roll done-doing the Med roll now), there is a second list for the next batch started.

Large rolls on the right

20160211_124409.jpg

Are these still being produced? If so what would I be looking. At cost wise?

Are these still being produced? If so what would I be looking. At cost wise?

Yes and No, I did a batch and documented it on this thread, the ones I made are all gone (except one med roll), I have started a list for the next batch, these take about a week to make 12 rolls, very time consuming, probably why they aren't being done by a lot of people and those who have most likely did a short run as well. I am not an expert Canvas guy, but wanted a roll for my self and could not find one-had my name on a list, but never heard back, so I tried my hand at making it, turn out to be much bigger project than I could imagine.

I am planning another run in March or early April if interested, let me know which one and if you want the large roll do you want the logo.

I am going to keep the cost the same, at least here on mud for now.

Next batch once done will go on the For Sale threads, but will continue to add names to the list form this thread

Add me to the list for one medium roll! :)

I need to find a YKK zipper, 12" brass heavy duty like the one in the tool bags the FJ40 had from 72-79, it is consider an open style zipper, anyone know a good supplier of YKK zippers, been searching the interweb and have not found the right one yet, I may contact YKK and see if they can help me out.

Try zippershipper or zipper lady?

I don't have my bag with me to check if it's #8 or #10 sized ... Do you have a bag to copy?

Those are the only 2 off the top of my head

I'm about 150 miles from my flash drive to find others for ya lol

Just thought of another ... qualityzipper or quality-zipper... Something like that there webpage sucks however... Call them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom