Wanted Fj55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for an FJ55. My budget is around $10k but you know how that works. I'd pay more for the right deal. I don't mind something that is cheaper and I'll spend a few thousand on it to make it into a daily driver.

Things I want:
I'm looking for something I can start daily driving without too much work.
I would prefer as good of a body as I can get.
I would like something more original without a lot of mods.
Location doesn't matter as much as the vehicle. I love a good road trip, but the vehicle needs to make it back to Alabama.

Please let me know what you have. Thanks

Aaron

You can email me @
Mtnmort@gmail.com

Or text me at
205-837-1038

This is the right place, I was looking for one and The members here helped me find it! Good luck with your search!

Thanks. I've regretted selling mine a long time ago and this is the first time i've been in the position to get another. Plus, I have the space to work on one now.

Mtnmort,

If I were you I would watch the one for sale on Bring a Trailer. Maybe it's close by to a Mudd member who could take a look at it. Obviously needs body work, but the rust looks manageable. If that is the original paint job, it's held up well and no bondoed surprises.

I'm watching it. Hopefully it stays low. But it's up to $5700 already.

Last edited:
I don't have any real preferences. I've read some of the earlier ones are harder to find parts for, but don't know if that's true. I'd like a 76 because that's the year I was born, but that's not really a consideration in buying. I don't live in a smog state and don't think I will.
My biggest concern is the rust and second, I would prefer one that's pretty original, no SOA or big. It's for driving and camping. I would buy something with a V8 conversion as long as it was done well. Some of the ones I've seen in 40s were interesting. If you know of anything, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

I don't have any real preferences. I've read some of the earlier ones are harder to find parts for, but don't know if that's true. I'd like a 76 because that's the year I was born, but that's not really a consideration in buying. I don't live in a smog state and don't think I will.
My biggest concern is the rust and second, I would prefer one that's pretty original, no SOA or big. It's for driving and camping. I would buy something with a V8 conversion as long as it was done well. Some of the ones I've seen in 40s were interesting. If you know of anything, let me know. I'd appreciate it.
Check with @xtremeVA

Mtnmort,

Remember the older ones like my 71 came with a three speed, column shift. Later years went to a four speed on the floor. As the years went by, they added and changed things. Some of those options might be what you want. Need to learn what years had what, so when the deal happens, you know what you're getting.

I know the basics. When they started having the 4 speed and the disc brakes. I know the hoods are different on the older ones and the tail lights and front turn signals. And the keys changing from left of the steering wheel to the steering column. Also the engine from the 1F to 1.5F to the 2F. It's been a long while since I've opened one. I thought the bodies rusted a little less on the older ones but I'm not sure.

What are the other changes between years? I'd prefer a newer one with the disc brakes and newer turn signals. But, I'd take an older one if the body was good.

Thanks for the advise and please keep it coming. I want the best cruiser I can find and you guys are the ones to help me accomplish that.

We just talked about the window regulators and how the newer ones have a more robust gear, thinking the smaller gear is on the vent window years. Another biggy that's hard to get around is the dash cap. @ 72 and up years you can buy an aftermarket dash cap to repair the cracking. Older ones don't. A lot of the improved components like Disc brakes, power steering, etc. can be up graded to the older ones, so that's not a big problem.

Depends on how deep you want to go with working on it. I bought 71s, knowing I was going to be putting a lot into it, five speed, new motor, etc., so components weren't an issue. I wanted the best body I could find.

For me, it's always been knowing when to have patience and knowing when to jump on the deal of a life time. :) I fail every time. Sure as the sun comes up, as soon as you buy one, there will be one just a little cheaper or better come up. Do your home work, buy the one you just got to have and then own it. It all works out, maybe you really want a divorce anyhow! :) Just kidding.

I Saw the BAT one go up.

Scrapdaddy
I didn't know that about the dash cap. I'm a lone man in the wilderness a long way from home. I work out of town a lot, but when I'm home I work on projects mainly. My van I built, other people's cars that I work with. And run a lot. I have a lot of time, and I don't mind spending money on something like a cruiser. I use my per Diem for that and don't feel guilty about spending it. I want the nicest body I can find and can fix the rest. I was in a rush in the beginning but have slowed down now. I was stuck in a hotel room obsessing. I can wait for the deal but I suck at making those decisions.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom