Shock/Suspension Swap Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have decided to go with a moderate lift on my 06 GX470 so I can add a rack and still get in my non- standard garage door opening.

I have gone with a Rancho Quick-Lift 1.75+ front and will use a .75 FJC height spring from Coil Spring Specialties in the rear with Rancho 9000 shocks and the MT complete conversion kit. I HAVE the Rancho system and the MT conversion BUT the CSS rear coils are 5 weeks out.

Here's the questions: 1) Can I go ahead and install the front struts and rear shocks use the OEM rear airbags until the coils come without major computer issues?
2) Can anyone direct me about the removal of the OEM piping to the adjustable shocks?

I have done search and believe the air bag and OEM adjustable shocks are on two different systems and that once the OEM shocks are taken off it appears they won't throw codes. I don't think I will have to trick the air bags yet I cannot really be certain by reading other posts. This is my DD and can't afford to have it down too long. Can anyone give me a definitive answer? It's good wrenching weather this weekend and would love to get the new shocks on.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the questions: 1) Can I go ahead and install the front struts and rear shocks use the OEM rear airbags until the coils come without major computer issues? 2) Can anyone direct me about the removal of the OEM piping to the adjustable shocks?

1 - Yes.
2 - The shocks are controlled electronically, so you unplug them from the top prior to removal.

1 - Yes.
2 - The shocks are controlled electronically, so you unplug them from the top prior to removal.

Thanks little Joe!. Also, I think you said in a earlier post that you felt the Coil Spring Specialties rear coils were much better than the OEM FJCruiser springs you had. Can you explain the difference? Because of your post I went with CSS rather than FJC hoping it would be worth the 5 week wait.

The OEM FJC TT coils were too soft for me. For everyday driving w/ no 3rd row, they were ok. Add any weight at all, and I was constantly hitting the bumpstops. And big bumps at freeway speed also hit the bumpstops. I gave up after a trip out of town with a modest load of camping gear.

I hope you are satisfied w/ the CSS springs! You went a bit different route than @UNCnalledge and I went, I'll be quite curious to hear your results.

@TahoeLX450 Do you know what spring rate you are ending up with? You might want to confirm what you are getting. IIRC, I netted out at 210. The known rates of what's out there are captured here. I like my CSS springs so far - that's not to say that down the road I might test out a couple of others. Every now and then a set of used ICON or Radflo springs show up on the T4R.org and I might just have to snag a set to test them out.

I am anxious to see where your lift nets out.

@TahoeLX450 Do you know what spring rate you are ending up with? You might want to confirm what you are getting. IIRC, I netted out at 210. The known rates of what's out there are captured here. I like my CSS springs so far - that's not to say that down the road I might test out a couple of others. Every now and then a set of used ICON or Radflo springs show up on the T4R.org and I might just have to snag a set to test them out.

I am anxious to see where your lift nets out.

Do you feel the airbag is about the same rate as yours. The advantage of airbags for a stock truck is that they are very progressive. Soft and then increasingly stiff. So they work well in some ways. Springs are easy to make as a straight rate or progressive. Do you think yours are similiar to the stock air just driving around town?

Tough question as this is not a topic I can geek out on technically (and ride is extremely subjective). Furthermore, I didn't only change the bags, I changed all the shocks and front coils - so isolating the effect of changing just the bags is impossible.

The air bag setup was down right mushy in the "Comfort" setting in my GX , yet it handled the weight ok enough. Sport was much better and fit my overall driving style and comfort that I was looking for. In general, I found the old setup to be a bit better at smoothing out the small bumps, but terrible over anything like railroad tracks/potholes.

The coil springs have a little more bounce but yet cushion the ride well (there is nothing jarring about the ride). I have yet to pack up a group of people and camping gear to see how they perform with additional weight. I ordered my rear springs with approx 210 lb spring rate and +200lb variable weight. I thought these would net out as a progressive spring, but in talking to Mark at MT, the springs did not look progressive - they looked linear (coils looked evenly spaced). If I ordered another set, I would back down the spring rate to 200 and drop the variable by 100lb variable. However, given the discussion earlier about the GX handling weight pretty well, I might be adding sliders and a bumper which will suit the springs I have.

So net-net, both the springs and bags are good, comfortable rides. The old setup with the bags seemed to be more progressive to a point and then was really awful IMO.

Hope that helps.

I have the Ranchos installed on the rear, so far, at #5 setting and the ride and handling has markedly improved. With the stock OEM shocks and my 10 Ply Duratacks the rear suspension "Pogo'd" when hitting bumps and pot holes--and there is a lot of pot holes up here in Tahoe.. I just went over a curvy pass and the Lexus mushy steering is very much improved also. The ride is firm but not jittery. I have 1-10 levels of adjustment on the Ranchos and 5 seems to be a little firmer than sport mode. As I said earlier I'm trying to mimic the TJM Gold Tigers I had on my 80. They are not available as far as I know for the 120 so I went with these. I like how I can dial in the ride to taste and road conditions.

PROBLEM: I could not get the front 1.75" Rancho leveling struts on despite spending hours at the attempt on the right side. I could not get the strut to compress enough (at all actually) to get it into the lower bolt perch. Tried a small jack but the strut went out no up. Rented a coil spring compressor but it was to thick to get inside the coils. I did not feel comfortable dropping the brakes and tie rod without knowing that would work...but I suspect that is what needs done. Rancho tech was closed for the weekend so I put the OEM strut back on to be able to get to work. I left off the OEM electroninc adjusters off both sides after setting the shocks to Sport because those things area royal pain to get off even after cutting down a 4mm hex to clear the fender well. No lights or codes as Little Joe said.

QUESTION: Most folks are putting in 2.5 plus springs in SO how did you guys get them in?

I am hoping that the front struts, once on, will make as dramatic of a change in handling as the rear's have so far and decrease the braking dive in the front..not to mention look better too.

Pop the lower ball joint free from the spindle and you should be able to get it in there (may need a lever or bottle jack to assist).

Pop the lower ball joint free from the spindle and you should be able to get it in there (may need a lever or bottle jack to assist).
Thanks! That was what I figured...Should have posted the question before I put it back together. Was a little worried about needing the car for work tomorrow--if the weather holds I can re-attempt next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom