Key won't turn... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THeGeNTLeMaN

WooD GRaiN WaRRioR
Threads
Website
www.followmybuild.com
In currently stranded in the parking lot of "Grandma's Kitchen" a diner in Wears Valley bc the key in my Lexus won't turn ...

Iv had this trouble before where the key just won't turn and I just jiggle it back and forth or wiggle the steering wheel a bit while turning the key and it would come unlocked .... but it's never been this bad

Iv got a lock smith on his way to try and fix it (one thst was recommended by the lexus dealer I called)... has anyone else had this problem before? He acted like he fixes one a week with the same issue

Did you try pulling the key out ever so slightly and turning - like a 1/16" or less?

Transponder on the key is dead (battery) or the sensor in the wheel is bad sounds like. Replace the battery in the key of you can and try again. I had an issue in a cruiser where the key itself was worm smooth but I don't think you have enough starts to think that.

Transponder on the key is dead (battery) or the sensor in the wheel is bad sounds like. Replace the battery in the key of you can and try again. I had an issue in a cruiser where the key itself was worm smooth but I don't think you have enough starts to think that.
Mine wore smooth on my 3rd gen 4runner. The Toyota dealer was able to cut a new key from the VIN and I was good to go. I was about to replace the whole cylinder but this worked and was much cheaper.

Hopefully the locksmith has already come and gone, and helped you out of Grandma's Kitchen..... :)

Thanks for the responses tried all your suggestions before he got there ... but no luck
The problem Is taken care of ...
The guy who fixed it was Jeremy Arnwine from "Lock Max" ... if you are in TN and need a lock smith this dude is Legit!

Before taking apart my lock asymbly he cuts a new laser key in his van so he won't break mine
Inserts the new key , taps on it and uses some picks to gets it to turn over and unlocks everything
Next he pulled the whole key tumbler asymbly out and dismantled it with all its tiny springs and wafers in the palm of his hand ...
After inspection he could tell the two pins closest to the key hole were worn out enough that the key couldn't fully engage them ... so the lock smith put those two in his pocket and said you don't need those two LOL .... Then put everything back together and it's now smooth as butter
Before he left I asked what he was gonna do with key he cut ... being that I only received one from the dealer ... he says "oh you can have it hold on if I have a chip it will start your truck too" ... sure enough he pops in a small black chip inside the key fob, plugs in a special computer, and within 5min I had a new one that will start my vehicle
Total ordeal of fixing my lock and making sure it isn't a problem again and making and programing a new key took about 20 min and cost around $350 ... not cheap but not a bad deal

So you did have wear...but on the tumbler side...interesting. Wonder if the PO was an errand runner and did a lot of stop/start. I guess we can call it a good knowledge management event for the next victim!

So you did have wear...but on the tumbler side...interesting. Wonder if the PO was an errand runner and did a lot of stop/start. I guess we can call it a good knowledge management event for the next victim!
Typically what wears the tumblers out is having 38;7262937363 keys on a key ring hanging from the lock cylinder when the truck is running. Makes sense, especially the front tumblers being worn, that's where all the pressure would be.

Reactions: GXO
That was my thinking too ... it doesn't have the remote but it physically works to open a door and start a car ... a good peace of mind to have a back up
That's the key I'd hide on the truck for a hide-a-key... Don't need a remote key, and since you didn't have a spare key for it in the first place, you won't miss this one, but it will sure come in handy someday when you really need it - out hiking and drop you keys in the river... Or who knows what, but yeah.

The only problem with hiding a key on your rig I think it might allow somebody to hotwire your vehicle? I'm not sure what the proximity of rules are but I've thought about this myself.

Don't hide it next to the ignition lol. The transponder has to be like less than a 12" away from the ignition cylinder. Hiding a key some place on the truck is not going to allow someone to steel the truck, unless they find the key (shoulda hid it better).

I do carry alot of daily keys ... I need to go through them again. .. I had this same problem with my Chevy ... but it was the key that would get worn out ...
It's nice to have an extra key when you go out to a place you don't want to have a full set a attached you can have just one key in your pocket

I do carry alot of daily keys ... I need to go through them again. .. I had this same problem with my Chevy ... but it was the key that would get worn out ...
It's nice to have an extra key when you go out to a place you don't want to have a full set a attached you can have just one key in your pocket
Funny you mentioned that, I made my post from my experience as a Chevy tech. Used to see it A LOT on them.

I keep my GX key on a clip so I separate it from the key ring for driving. It is the only key there. I use to have a pile of keys swinging around and scratching up the dash.

Typically what wears the tumblers out is having 38;7262937363 keys on a key ring hanging from the lock cylinder when the truck is running.

Thank God I only have 38;7262937362! :D

Seriously though, the paragraph beginning 'Iv had this trouble before' was your clue. At that point you have had your warning and should act on it asap. Of course easy to say that now and yes I did the same, so my hands are as high up as yours.

One product I use as a 'get you by' is 'graphite powder', it comes in a handy puffer to puff into the lock and works great. Better than oil as it is not sticky so does not attract dust but, keep a Kleenex with you to wipe the key for the first few times you pull it out of the lock. Could be used during a PM schedule?

regards

Dave

I have a single bottle opener on mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom