Invert her! A couple questions unanswered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, looking to get an inverter. Comparing, digging through all the threads in here and there's a common thing I'm NOT seeing that I need to know. So I want to run the inverter under a seat likely, and have an outlet in the center console, and in the back as well. My question is, what should I be looking for to do so in the ways of product description? Are you guys just opening up yours and running wire to a remote outlet, or are there terminals to hook into to run it where ya need it? It, sadly, are you running extension cords ? (I won't do that, not a chance). Ive been looking at the tech specs for something like an output terminal, or "remote/satellite" outlet of sorts and can't find a darn thing. And what's your brand of inverter and how'd ya do it, if you have? It'll be a days project coming up and I'd like to have all the materials on hand to knock it out (and my CB install) all in a day. Likely a lot less time, but I'd rather have problems and have everything I need in hand than run to stores across town! Any input greatly appreciated, I wanna get this ball rolling this week coming up, may e install next weekend? Help!
Phil

Not sure what you mean about not using extrnsion cords. You have to do something to extend the power to wear you want outlets. I got a couple old computer/computer monitor power cords and hacked them. They plug nicely into my inverter and I run them under the carpet to wear I want them. One I terminated in center console using a Toyota Matrix 115v switch style outlet. The other went to the rear quarter panel where it terminated in a double plug wall style outlet I found at an RV store. It sits flush where the ash try use to be. Another factory style outlet is the 115v receptacle that came in some tundras.

As far as a particular brand of inverter...just check Amazon for a good rated unit with a capacity that slightly exceeds what you think you will need.

Cool! The extension cord comment was related to hacks ive seen over the years, scary stuff. I'm thinking similar though, one outlet in the console and one in the rear. Not looking for a huge inverter either, but many I see state a minimum amp supply, and our 80's barely put out 25amps at idle, and 40-50 above idle. Haven't upgraded the alternator yet, but that will be my biggest concern when the time comes. I like the PC cord idea, that's similar to what I was speaking of, but you went as far as hard wiring it, so not a hack! Thanks for the info, all the more welcome! I've also been digging on Amazon and reading reviews, seems for the price, many people run the harbor freight inverters and don't have problems. Again, not looking to light up the super bowl, but run a couple small items at the campsite like a coffee pot, griddle, etc...

I'd check the amp/watt ratings of the things you're going to run. Griddle especially- they're not large but are resistance heat-elements-that eats power-Making heat with electricity uses LOTS. electronics and few lights- not too bad. fwiw any flexible cords are not supposed to be covered/enclosed. That heats them up. Extension cords are fine- idk about on a vehicle but gfci not a bad idea. Smaller wire gauge/ iffy grounds/connections are the weak point of extension cords.

I installed a 3000W square wave inverter behind the PS rear cargo panel. I removed the two AC outlets and ON/OFF switch and mounted them to the panel. I typically run my fridge on the AC outlet, but later installed an OEM style 12DC outlet nearby as well. Have used my inverter to run a skill saw which was kinda neat. All depends on what you need it for, but typically with stuff like this, you always wish you had gone bigger. I would recommend though that you get a pure sine wave version.

Canman's dual battery and inverter install

We've got two 400w inverters on board, one under a Tuffy console up front and another built into the sleeper/drawer set-up in the rear that is accessible when the tailgate it down.

TuffyBack.jpg
BigSpread13.jpg

To power them, I cut up a cheap set of jumper cables to get the wire (maybe 4/0?) cheaply. They are fused at the battery, run through the firewall, through the cable passage in the step plat at the driver's door and then under the driver's seat to the Tuffy. From there, the cabling goes to the rear buried under the sleeper conversion to the rear inverter. It's in the lower right corner of the rear panel there, with holes above it to vent heat. The cabling is protected as needed by looming.

I do use extension cords from the inverters, mainly the rear one, when in camp, because AC travels better than DC if I need electricity away from the truck itself (with due precautions for wetness, rain, etc).

I have a 2000w inverter available to hook up temporarily directly to the battery if I need more juice, but don't typically carry it unless I need it for some special project.

After a bunch of research I have decided to go for a unit out if HF (Item#69660). It is a 750w continuous rated unit and on sale for $42. My plan is to mount it under the drivers seat and wire a couple of 115v outlets and usb outlets to the rear of center console.

If HF means Harbor Freight, I'd be leery. There are some things you can buy from HF and come things you definitely shouldn't. Not sure about their inverters though. I'd look up some reviews on that item before purchase. You mention that you did some research, but I've always been leery of HF electronics.

After a bunch of research I have decided to go for a unit out if HF (Item#69660). It is a 750w continuous rated unit and on sale for $42. My plan is to mount it under the drivers seat and wire a couple of 115v outlets and usb outlets to the rear of center console.

If you came into this thread looking for advice, you may want to read more closely:

I'd check the amp/watt ratings of the things you're going to run.

typically with stuff like this, you always wish you had gone bigger. I would recommend though that you get a pure sine wave version.

If HF means Harbor Freight, I'd be leery.

I have one with the same specs as the one you're thinking of getting. 750w is a weird in-between rating. It's much higher than you need for most things, but not high enough for a few, what I would consider normal things, like a blender or an espresso maker. It will run a drill or a skil saw.

IMO, if you're going to install it, save your money for a 2kw pure-sine inverter. I see them around for $250+. That's what I'm going to do in conjunction with my 2nd battery setup. Inverter and battery will be removable and luggable for job site or emergency power.

I really appreciate all the responses to this thread, gets my gears turning for sure, and has opened up a few more possibilities for design, location and the same. What I was referring to about extension cords, was that I've seen people(I'd NEVER DO IT)run extension cord with the ends cut off as a power lead from battery to the inverter, all the way in the back even, and it really makes me shake my head and walk away. @greentruck I dig your idea of two smaller units, one for passenger contents so to speak and ine out back for cargo/camping, and two thumbs up on your rig, that is one good looking setup, and I've only seen a teaser of the interior!
I'm going to keep looking into this, and look into all my options as well, I'm down to drop a bit of change for a larger unit, but I want to make sure my needs are met, for the family, myself, and all our adventures! Thanks all, keep throwing your ideas up, love them and they keep the gears turning!

SNIP@greentruck I dig your idea of two smaller units, one for passenger contents so to speak and ine out back for cargo/camping, and two thumbs up on your rig, that is one good looking setup, and I've only seen a teaser of the interior!
SNIP

Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the view:)

I have one with the same specs as the one you're thinking of getting. 750w is a weird in-between rating. It's much higher than you need for most things, but not high enough for a few, what I would consider normal things, like a blender or an espresso maker. It will run a drill or a skil saw.

Fast Eddy's comment is a good one. We don't have any plans to regularly use a large draw appliance when in camp (or on the road), but as I mentioned we do have a higher wattage inverter available if it's needed.

The unit up front takes care of normal stuff, like plugging in a laptop, etc. Additional lunch stop/camp needs met when tailgate is down. This also doubles the number of plugins, lessening the need for extension cords. Thus, our uses tend to be multiple, but low wattage.

The front unit is a HF inverter BTW. The rear is some big box store special.

I do have one relatively large draw appliance -- a CPAP machine I have to use when sleeping. The 400 w HF inverter was tried to power it, which it did as the only unit on that inverter, but for all night use the load, plus the conversion process, used too much juice to power it all night. It would shut down due to low supply voltage near morning. However, the CPAP is powered by a brick that converts power to 12 volt to power it. So I was taking 12 v, converting to 110v, then converting back to 12 v. Makes for a lot of wastage.

What I did was build an adapter with the feed plug to the CPAP on one end and an Anderson PowerPole connector on the other. The outlet for that is on the side of the transmission cover up front to feed it 12 v directly. Now the AUX battery can power it all night with plenty to spare.

So consider what your larger loads are and how they can be handled alternatively. In a case like mine, I didn't really need an inverter for the CPAP.

I've seen people(I'd NEVER DO IT)run extension cord with the ends cut off as a power lead from battery to the inverter, all the way in the back even, and it really makes me shake my head and walk away.

A couple ideas here. Harbor Freight jumper cables with the ends cut off, or if you go to a wrecking yard, some BMWs have their batteries in the trunk and you can recover long cables from them on the cheap.

This is something I saw today that is 1500w that reminded me of this thread:

910NIms7OtL._SX425_.jpg

@Fast Eddy haha, that's about what I'd run with it at camp, and those draw a decent amount without even looking at the specs. I'd probably ly look at the largest griddle specs and double it, maybe slightly higher to the next size up. Better to have and not need than be SOL!

@greentruck yourself, along with my dad having a cpap as well, is all a reminder I need to put the cigarettes down for good. High five that you go as far as taking your machine with you on camping trips and dint let that get in the way of getting out there. And your ingenuity, top notch! Thanks again guys, more hunting on the way! I will definitely post my results once I get it all figured out and get it in my rig!

SNIP
@greentruck yourself, along with my dad having a cpap as well, is all a reminder I need to put the cigarettes down for good. High five that you go as far as taking your machine with you on camping trips and dint let that get in the way of getting out there. And your ingenuity, top notch! Thanks again guys, more hunting on the way! I will definitely post my results once I get it all figured out and get it in my rig!

Even if mentioning that just nudges in the direction of giving up the cancer sticks, that's a good thing. My particular problem is related to a back injury (although losing a couple of dozen pounds couldn't hurt.) I don't have any choice about using the CPAP. It's one of those cases where the Dr said "you could die" if I don't use it, so... Thus, I rely on the 80 as my life support system. I can't call Houston for help, either, so things have to be reliable if I want to get on into the woods -- and I do.

Even if mentioning that just nudges in the direction of giving up the cancer sticks, that's a good thing. My particular problem is related to a back injury (although losing a couple of dozen pounds couldn't hurt.) I don't have any choice about using the CPAP. It's one of those cases where the Dr said "you could die" if I don't use it, so... Thus, I rely on the 80 as my life support system. I can't call Houston for help, either, so things have to be reliable if I want to get on into the woods -- and I do.
KickA**! Inspiration at its finest! I've already blown my two quit dates long ago which were 30yo or a child. Now 36 and a 2yo, she's my biggest factor to quit, I don't want to have her taking care of me for my neglected choices from my youth, nor be a commercial on t.v. with a hole in my throat. Again, great inspiration, thank you!

This thread is looking like what the LR owners bring on their camping trips --- home appliances :flipoff2: Come on fellas, we're camping NOT glamping. Other than a CPAP machine (which Mike found a 12vdc solution for) there HAS to be a way to use non 120vac appliances while out camping. Hell I make blended margaritas while out camping....with my pneumatic blender of course :cool:

We went gas for cooking and heat...

Our stove
C-OVEN_3.jpg

I don't drive a Rover, but I also hate to rough it:cookie: We have a Buddy heater for when things are too chill.

MrHeaterB3.jpg

I do carry a Coleman gas lantern, just because that's the white gas backup (along with a folding Coleman pack stove). Other than that, it's all about the LEDs, which really cuts down on the inverter load.

LEDon5.jpg

Oh hell yeah Mike, I have LED rope lights too, warm white of course. They're a good way to light up the campsite w/o being offensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom