Builds 76 Fj40 Face Lift (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does it get any worse might be the correct response... I asked on delivery about oil changes- he said "I checked it once a year whether it needed it or not" . He said "motor had no/low power- the oil smelled like gas-bad fuel pump, I replaced fuel pump with the old pump from my "74 engine and was down the road. Saginaw conversion- box is below the frame with a curved/welded drag llink and welded pitman arm gm to toyota end). Rear brake shoes worn to the metal, pulled the radiator drain plug-nothing came out-I had to pierce the muck with a screwdriver to get to the rusty coolant and flushed it out twice. but ten years later still running off the road-testament to Mr. T.

ten years later

Well done...I think sometimes, these old machines run out of spite..

I'll work on the drivers side in the AM. See if I have any additional surprises...

No more door rattle...

New "rubber" is not exactly oriented per the Owners guide to the Perfect Land cruiser. I had to tweak them just a bit (switched them) IOT obtain the best results.

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

I wanted to post up a shot of the "Before and After" showing the difference in the rear stance. The 1st pic, even without the hardtop, shows a defiant squat.

2.5" OME HVY/MAF Anti-inversion (+ 1/2")/Bilstein shocks.

photo(32).JPG

IMG_1598.jpg

Well done...I think sometimes, these old machines run out of spite....

This is 100% true

17 years? Ago I compression checked and found 2 almost dead cylinders ... I decided to keep running it until it died ... It never died

I replaced the engine at almost 500k because the leaking was so bad... Most every seal and rear main (had a ton of blowby) was leaking

Out of spite it refused to die ... It wanted to forever be slower than most every car and cruiser on the road... My punishment for all the speeding tickets I used to get ... almost lost my license

But boy was my ol triumph a fun car to drive

image.jpeg

Added a hood "rest pad" to the gutter on the hardtop.

I wish that was the first thing I bought before taking and having the PS installed & mani's decked by a local cruiser shop. I also received a horizontal cygnus white racing stripe across the bridge of my 40's hood as a bonus. That was a pisser! However, it is slowing being waxed out though. I used towels for a year before I read a post about these critters......so I bought two! Installed one, and keep the other in my center console.

Great work on your rig!

The only way a FJ40 isn't rattling is if it isn't moving

This isn't one of those Woodinville, overnight shop class builds ...Only the highest grade diamond plate was used in this museum quality restoration:flipoff2:

This isn't one of those Woodinville, overnight shop class builds ...Only the highest grade diamond plate was used in this museum quality restoration:flipoff2:

I think the air from Washington DC has caused a more hopeful assessment of the facts then would be considered in a place a bit further from that swamp ;)

Found a center console for <$8 shipped. A little ruff but I think I can work with it if I go this direction. Also looking for an old school "Con Ferr" console to add. Last pick(s) are mocked-up on the "Tuffy" mount. Gives it a little height....

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

TRE's came in..Thanks Kurt and crew @cruiseroutfit

Looking for some installation time in the next couple of weeks...

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

@rkymtnflyfisher sent me a rear tail light protector a few weeks ago. Just getting around to knocking the dust off in prep for a date with the blast cabinet.

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Had some spare time this afternoon so I spent a little time on the center console. Ran it through the blast cabinet and hit it with a coat of rust neutralizer (Loctite). Still not sure which direction I'm going to go yet..Posted a "wanted" add in the classified section for a Con Ferr center console.

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

You better crank up the heat in the ole shop, it is about to get a little like winter! I'm going to the river!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom