FJ60 heater core concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone make new heater lines easily? Is there something special about the Toyota lines ?

To whoever requested a picture the dash out, here you go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451846057.811728.jpg

Wow.

"Hopefully" I don't have to go to quite that extent...

Could this be leaky heater core? No smell or wetness in cabin, just leak down the firewall. I replaced the small hose, but still leaking. anyone else seen this?

Likely just a bad connection...

I disagree that a 60's cabin is capable of hot cabin temps. I know for a fact that my thermostat is properly functioning and I have the top gasket. The temp out of the front vents is warm, nothing more. On the other hand the temp from the rear under seat heater will melt your hands. I have had my heater core flushed, and it is still the same. So either my heater core is not great, or its just a 60 series "thing"?
You may have a plugged core. Just like a radiator they can get clogged or full of sediment that won't flush out due to the inherent design of the core

Could this be leaky heater core? No smell or wetness in cabin, just leak down the firewall. I replaced the small hose, but still leaking. anyone else seen this?

I jus replaced these... still have the smell in the cabin, but the windows didn't fog up like the first time it started? Do you think I need to replace the heater core? (by the way, mine still blows super hot!!!)

Smell could be something that has just permiated into the jute/carpet and has to slowly dry out. I would lean more towards this especially if you are no longer fogging the windows.

Mine goes from blowing super hot (nuclear as my wife calls it) to now where it is just "warm". I think I need to flush the system with the acid and then see how things go. Pretty sure I still have a few bubbles in the system as I have not been able to get her nose in the air to burp the system. I have seen an OEM one on sale on eBay and contemplating grabbing it. Anyone know if these are unobtanium or super expensive (ebay one is like $120).

O relies auto parts are where I got mine. About $50

Last edited:
rock auto has the heater core..if thats what you are referring to.

No, they don't. It is not the correct heater core.

What is the correct Heater core part number? I assume that OEM is NLA?

Hoarder ;)

I am planning on taking the whole dash out soon to refresh the whole HVAC system in my 88 FJ62. Do you guys think it would be best to replace the heater core while I am in there? Although it seems OEM is gone, maybe have it cleaned and tested? Seems to work just fine right now but I don't want to put it all back together only to have it fail a couple years later.

Pull it out and get it pressure tested.

No reason not to..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom