delay wiper for fj40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djcfj40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Guys,
I have a 76 fj40 and I'd like to have an intermittent wiper option.
My initial thought is just a universal (old school jc whitney) style control unit and wire it in and bolt it under the dash.
I think I saw somewhere that some fj45's had this option ??? and if so is it possible to still get any of this stuff without mortgaging my house.
Are there any other options out there ???

It could be possible... I've heard of some using a newer switch to do the job

I installed intermittent wipers on mine. My setup is not stock, though. I have a GM column and use the GM switch via relays. That made wiring the delay switch easy.

I bought a wiper delay circuit from Amazon that required a separate knob and a box to put it in then mounted it behind my dash. It is similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wi..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0HNKNNMRWRYVPGYK02D5

You might be able to wire it inline with your low speed circuit in a stock configuration.

Thanks guys,
Both are good ideas. My thoughts were using the delay box as srgould41 mentions.
Just hoping for something that I wouldn't have to have a box hanging or cut a hole in the dash.
I'm trying to find more info on the fj45 and fj60's to see if there is something I can make work.

I'm pretty sure there is an FJ60 guy on here who used a 2nd gen mini truck wiper-dongle assembly.

Pete in Japan just posted recently about repairing his intermittent device on his BJ46

I think

I'll try to find a link

You can rewire the stock fj40 motor to run with the fj60/62 relay. The stock wiper motor (at least the later model motors) has the copper strips on the rotating gear to accept intermittent signals.
The critical part is finding someone who can get you an intermittent switch for an FJ40. I did not investigate using a simple 4 position switch, but that may work too.

@JohnnyC or @lostmarbles may be able to help with years and models this was available on. Most certainly rare though so likely won't meet your no mortgage requirement.

The FJ60/62 wiper relay will work, but you will need to alter the wiring of the motor and find a 4 position switch.
I'll try to post some images of the gear wheel and the rewiring of the motor.

Here is an album detailing the motor modification. The motor painted white is an Aussie RHD 40 series wiper motor wired to run intermittently. The other one is how I modified mine to run intermittently.
fj40 wiper mod

Last edited:
Cool! Spring is our rainy season here. I should give this a try.

From what I can see, intermittent wipers were available on Australian BJ42, HJ47, FJ40 and FJ45 models from May 81 till the end of production and on European FJ40 and FJ45 models from October 1981 onwards.

Relay 85940-36010 was used and this same intermittent relay was used on Hilux, Dyna and Coaster models (from much earlier too).

Here's the wiring for FJ BJ HJ 40-series in 1983 using this relay:
Intermittent.jpg

:beer:

This is great guys !!!!!! I can't believe all the responses ..
Any idea what to do for a switch or finding a switch from an austrailian or europe version cruiser.Best I can tell and fj60 has the wiper switch on the steering column,so I think that may complicate things .
I really appreciate the help.

The part number for the genuine 40-series dash-mounted switch is 84652-60330.

I think this is one that Cruiser Parts dot net are offering:
WiperSwitch.jpg

Not cheap..

:beer:

Here is what I could find out. I have been wanting intermittent as well.

The switch is still available from Toyota and so Cruiser Parts is ripping us a big one.

I found the switch here for $68.53 plus shipping.
Toyota Online Parts | toyotaonlineparts.com | Toyota Parts Online

OEM Toyota & Scion Parts Online | ToyotaPartsOverstock.com has it for $78.39.

As far as I can tell, for my 1977 FJ40 the wiper switch part number is 8465060050.
For a 1984 FJ40 the wiper switch part number is 8465227010. I ordered this one in hopes it is intermittent.

When you view the two different parts, 8465060050 states it is a wiper switch. But part 8465227010 states it is switch and relay.
I am hoping I just ordered a intermittent switch (8465227010), but won't know for sure until it arrives. But I guess even if not it is a spare.

At 'toyotaonlineparts' You had the option of shipping USPS for only $7, but I don't trust USPS so went with UPS, which was much higher, but I trust they will get my part delivered. Hind sight I probably should have looked around for something else I need and added to the order. Probably wouldn't have increased the shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom