For 10 Years of Ownership, LC or LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right. I understand the general blanket statement, but I think it is overstated to warn away shoppers based on blanket statements. If ever there was a vehicle that is safe to purchase in year one, it is the Land Cruiser.

The 2009 LC actually had *more* recalls than the 2008...and, in fact, more recalls than *any* LC in the last 20 years. ;)

Have a look:
Toyota Land Cruiser Recalls | ToyotaProblems.com

Does that make it unwise to buy a 2009? Not in my opinion, no.
I just think care should be taken with blanket statements. ;)
My intention is not to say any of the landcruiser models are unreliable. I was unaware that the 09 model had more recalls. I was just going off of what I personally have seen. May go differently for somebody else. Maybe I should have rephrased my prior statement.

Ok, guys, this just got more complicated. I've found a new 2015 LC (not LX) that the dealer will sell to me for $69k (plus TT&L). It's a dealer demo, but will be sold as new since it's not been titled. Has 9,000 miles on it. Dealer says the owner of the Toyota dealership was driving it. Absolutely flawless condition. Sticker is $83,242. Thoughts?
I purchased a '14 non demo with 200 miles on the clock exactly one year ago in NJ for about that price.

My intention is not to say any of the landcruiser models are unreliable. I was unaware that the 09 model had more recalls. I was just going off of what I personally have seen. May go differently for somebody else. Maybe I should have rephrased my prior statement.

I don't mean to make a big deal... Sorry.
I just wouldn't want someone to pass up a great 2008 because of one persons's random issues with any particular year unless it's a clear trend.

It works both ways, of course. ;)
-I have a 2008 that is operationally flawless...but that doesn't mean all 2008's are gonna be flawless.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, this just got more complicated. I've found a new 2015 LC (not LX) that the dealer will sell to me for $69k (plus TT&L). It's a dealer demo, but will be sold as new since it's not been titled. Has 9,000 miles on it. Dealer says the owner of the Toyota dealership was driving it. Absolutely flawless condition. Sticker is $83,242. Thoughts?

If you are happy with the price... what's stopping you? GO!

Short answer: $69k isn't bad.

If you don't mind traveling to buy, you might take a weekend trip to Baltimore. $67K for a 2015 dealer demo, $77k for a new 2016.

2015 Toyota Land Cruiser V8, $67,103 - Cars.com
2016 Toyota Land Cruiser V8, $77,032 - Cars.com

I actually talked to them on the phone back in early January before I bought my 2013. They were willing to work a deal and ship it to me but I really wanted to just trade in my Acura to get the ~$1200 tax savings. Even if you don't fly out there you can try to use their price as leverage. In my experience most dealers wouldn't haggle on the LX/LC prices much though.

So many helpful responses. Thank you! Gonna do some soul searching. On the one hand, buying a new SUV that expensive and watching it depreciate year after year makes me queasy. On the other hand, it's more like buying a family heirloom than buying a car. I could easily see keeping a brand new one 15+ years.

Thanks, linuxgod, for the comparisons. Will look at them carefully and at least use them as leverage here.

Thanks guys!

Just an FYI... 15 years can go by pretty quickly... We have now owned our 100 series for almost 13 years and I still enjoy getting in to it and it still rides like one of the finest vehicles that I have ever ridden in.

I'd say the same thing. Basically brand new and you won't be hit with depreciation.

Unfortunately you'll get hit with depreciation either way, it's just a question of how badly. Ignoring MSRP and working from dealer invoice, the depreciation on the 200-series is ~$8k/year for the first few years, and then levels off at about $5k/year. When I was last looking back in 2015 up until New Years I found these were the lowest prices nationally on cars.com for what appeared to be clean LC's (no accidents) with 15k miles/year. Keep in mind the LC is a low production volume vehicle so the asking prices in your local area could be up to 10% higher.

2016: $77k
2015: $68k
2014: $60k
2013: $53k
2011: $47k
2010: $42k
2009: $37k
2008: $32k

Obviously prices move all the time depending on the time of year, inventory, location etc, but I suspect if you did a similar search online right now you would find these are probably still accurate within ~$1k. An accident, high mileage, or below average condition seemed to knock anywhere from $2k to $5k off the cost.

Unfortunately you'll get hit with depreciation either way, it's just a question of how badly. Ignoring MSRP and working from dealer invoice, the depreciation on the 200-series is ~$8k/year for the first few years, and then levels off at about $5k/year. When I was last looking back in 2015 up until New Years I found these were the lowest prices nationally on cars.com for what appeared to be clean LC's (no accidents) with 15k miles/year. Keep in mind the LC is a low production volume vehicle so the asking prices in your local area could be up to 10% higher.

2016: $77k
2015: $68k
2014: $60k
2013: $53k
2011: $47k
2010: $42k
2009: $37k
2008: $32k

Obviously prices move all the time depending on the time of year, inventory, location etc, but I suspect if you did a similar search online right now you would find these are probably still accurate within ~$1k. An accident, high mileage, or below average condition seemed to knock anywhere from $2k to $5k off the cost.
That's very, very helpful info. Thanks!!

If I were selling my 2014 with 19,800mi...I would ask 67k. Granted, it has some mods and most importantly has full warranty for 72mo. Just to give you an idea what a 14' would go for

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom