Tapatalk Not Working with IH8MUD --- Just Me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm past done with the poor business practices of Tapatalk.

I continue to work towards keeping user data and the site database secure, and continuing to allow Tapatalk open access to that data seems like a poor decision.

My trust in their product is gone.

Sounds like the decision to drop tapatalk was based on protecting user data, so it sounds like it was a good idea. That being said, I almost exclusively used the mobile app for the forum. It will be missed and hopefully another solution will work out for a dedicated 'MUD app.
Until then, web based browsing on the PC it is.

@woody
I too have been using an app that I'm not sure if it was or not tapatalk! I have the Tt app on my phone (that I never liked and never even used) but also had this one in the pics bellow. Screen shots of the app and as of now I can go all the way to the posts page then that's it, no more. Last use was feb/3.
I'm no internet/tech guru but want to ask if there would be a possible way to develop your own app for the forums with the compatible software you have running the site?
Anyways, thanks for your effort in getting this resolved! I know for most people change is something hard to swallow!
Best regards
Can you clarify to me (and others as well) is this a tapatalk app? I've dug into it and can't find anything that shows it!

photo 1.PNG

photo 2.PNG

photo 3.PNG

photo 4.PNG

photo 5.PNG

@woody
I too have been using an app that I'm not sure if it was or not tapatalk! I have the Tt app on my phone (that I never liked and never even used) but also had this one in the pics bellow. Screen shots of the app and as of now I can go all the way to the posts page then that's it, no more. Last use was feb/3.
I'm no internet/tech guru but want to ask if there would be a possible way to develop your own app for the forums with the compatible software you have running the site?

Can you clarify to me (and others as well) is this a tapatalk app?

Nothing more than rebranded Tapatalk...removed from any App stores in 2014.

I have talked with other private large forum owners regarding private app development...it can easily turn into a 6 digit venture and is FAR outside my budget.

If you have issues with attaching files disable FLASH uploads in your preferences.

This took 3 seconds to upload.

Screenshot_2016-02-10-15-25-20.png

...posted from my S5 on 4G using Chrome...

using mud on tapatalk was nice because pictures loaded quickly and completely. I can not stand going through Safari on my 6 plus because I get bombarded with spam and sent to the App Store to download something I never requested.

I get no ads on mine at all due to my subscription to the site I imagine.

I started this thread because I thought there was a temporary issue with my app or with my connection to the web. I then learned about the old MUD app and Taptalk being one in the same and that there were security issues and perhaps more issues with the Taptalk developers. I hate change. I have noticed this in myself more and more over the last few years. And I have been making an effort to not be so... inflexible... if that's the right word. I'm not saying anyone else is being inflexible about this issue.

So I made an effort to use my iphone browser and gave it a few days. Although it's a little slower at times I really have no problem accessing the site. In fact there is much more access than the app had. I liked the app. But the browser works pretty good too. At least in my particular situation of hardware/ software/ service provider / personal expectations.

My $0.02

I can't help but feel like something else is going on, or maybe revenue based? if the site needs more income to operate then the operators can be upfront. Tapatalk doesn't show any ads at all, and the regular site bombards you with hostile redirects to download bubble games. Ads in the posts don't bother, but don't cancel tapatalk, not give me something better, then just bombard me and redirect me to a bunch of sh!t I didn't ask for.

I can't help but feel like something else is going on, or maybe revenue based? if the site needs more income to operate then the operators can be upfront. Tapatalk doesn't show any ads at all, and the regular site bombards you with hostile redirects to download bubble games. Ads in the posts don't bother, but don't cancel tapatalk, not give me something better, then just bombard me and redirect me to a bunch of sh!t I didn't ask for.

If this were to be the case, I would happily pay to use tapatalk here as a "premium subscription"

The speculation is entertaining, please continue :)

IH8MUD began as my license place in 1992...it is older than some of the members on this forum. It's not going anywhere.

The speculation is entertaining, please continue :)

IH8MUD began as my license place in 1992...it is older than some of the members on this forum. It's not going anywhere.

I'm not sure how to take that. You started the place in '92? Awesome, and thanks so much for creating a great place that we all love to read! That isn't sarcasm. But who implied in this thread that there is a threat to the forum such that you would respond that "It's not going anywhere?" If the point is that the place is yours and you'll do with it as you see fit, I guess that's cool too. One of the unfortunate aspects of text-based communication is that emoticons don't do a very good job of conveying emotion, and I don't know how to read your response. I just see a group of folks who find the decision to stop supporting an app to be inconvenient, but we're all clearly into the site or we wouldn't care.

I'm not sure how to take that. You started the place in '92? Awesome, and thanks so much for creating a great place that we all love to read! That isn't sarcasm. But who implied in this thread that there is a threat to the forum such that you would respond that "It's not going anywhere?" If the point is that the place is yours and you'll do with it as you see fit, I guess that's cool too. One of the unfortunate aspects of text-based communication is that emoticons don't do a very good job of conveying emotion, and I don't know how to read your response. I just see a group of folks who find the decision to stop supporting an app to be inconvenient, but we're all clearly into the site or we wouldn't care.

My comment revolved your "revenue based" comment. I found it humorous :)

I know the owners and one of management team of Tapatalk personally. I've had face to face meetings with them. They have ignored my concerns over their app, their release practices, changes in policy, additions and changes in app operation, and many other issues over the years. They made yet another change last week and I decided I was done.

My security concern is not with them personally, but with outside parties gaining access. I personally put most of my life on the internet, but I know many who take great care to limit their online footprint and at least want the perception that they have limited it effectively. I am NOT interested in users blaming my business for any perceived security issues.

To clarify, the License Plate was Sept 1992, in Wisconsin, on my old 1974 FJ40. I have the original. Even has blue overspray from one of my rattle can paint jobs. My online tech articles began in 1994, some content in 1996, the domain in 2000, and the forum shortly thereafter.

There have been MANY growing pains over the years...software changes, lost data, thousands upon thousands spent on hardware (only to change to a lease setup and then donate that to a charity), hosting and sysadmin issues, and many others. The past 5 years have been relatively stable, with a great deal of investment on my part to ensure long term stability.

...posted from my Macbook Air on shared airport wifi using Chrome...

My comment revolved your "revenue based" comment. I found it humorous :)

I know the owners and one of management team of Tapatalk personally. I've had face to face meetings with them. They have ignored my concerns over their app, their release practices, changes in policy, additions and changes in app operation, and many other issues over the years. They made yet another change last week and I decided I was done.

My security concern is not with them personally, but with outside parties gaining access. I personally put most of my life on the internet, but I know many who take great care to limit their online footprint and at least want the perception that they have limited it effectively. I am NOT interested in users blaming my business for any perceived security issues.

To clarify, the License Plate was Sept 1992, in Wisconsin, on my old 1974 FJ40. I have the original. Even has blue overspray from one of my rattle can paint jobs. My online tech articles began in 1994, some content in 1996, the domain in 2000, and the forum shortly thereafter.

There have been MANY growing pains over the years...software changes, lost data, thousands upon thousands spent on hardware (only to change to a lease setup and then donate that to a charity), hosting and sysadmin issues, and many others. The past 5 years have been relatively stable, with a great deal of investment on my part to ensure long term stability.

...posted from my Macbook Air on shared airport wifi using Chrome...

I didn't make a "revenue based" comment. That was someone else on the thread.

I get the impression from your "tone" that this is a done deal, you are digging your heels and it there is no going back?

There has been a fairly strong showing for support of Tapatalk in this thread. Obvioisly several more use it, that have not complained here.

I would love to know if there is a chance you will change your mind or maybe we are just wasting our time voicing an opinion that differs from yours.

Woody appears to have come to a determination and is entering a state of denial. He either doesn't believe that people use Taptalk, or he doesn't care that this is how we prefer to access this great site. Either way, the outcome isn't likely a good one for the users. Pride and ignorance have a way of doing that to business owners.

As for me, I'm growing tired of complaining. Funny thing though, with all my heart, I honestly wish that he had the sense to listen to users

Maybe a business owner, but I highly doubt this site brings in substancial financial gains for him.

While I agree with some of things you have to say, comments that attack and belittle Woody are unlikely to help your (and my) cause.

This forum is a tremendous resource to the land cruiser community, and while disappointed with the decision to not have a phone based app, I will continue to give back to this great community. At the end of the day, what makes this site great are the people and the tech. My 60 and I are grateful although we desperately miss tap talk.

I find it hard to believe that there only 279 Tapatalk users and here you've got 4 pages of people asking about where it went... It's not my website so I won't complain, but if anyone is interested in my .02, I wish it was still supported. I do browse the forum via my computer at work, but all my posts and other browsing was done via Tapatalk. It's just so much easier to upload pics from my phone through the app.

I tried uploading pictures and a write up on my built thread. Like I have done a few hundred times on Tapatalk with my phone. What a pain in the ass that turned out to be. Gave up.

I want Tapatalk back. :(

There might be four pages of comments but they are mostly the same people rehashing the same theme.
If the forum owner says 279 people used Tapatalk to access the forum surely he has accurate data.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Safari.

I thought there was a temporary issue... And now I see it's permanent. Wish you had formally communicated it as a sticky or something so I didn't keep going back to check if it had been fixed.

Either way, not thrilled about the decision, but c'est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom