cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tranny won't engage all non-synchro gears, even at idle. Spoke to a local gearbox shop and he said it's a clutch release problem that needs an adjustment. My question to the forum is: can you back off all adjustments in the clutch system back to neutral and do a proper clutch adjustment from there? Is there a starting point? Keep in mind my conversion kit has it's own adjustment, right here:

IMG_4458.jpg

Plus I still have the traditional slave adjustment:

IMG_4459.jpg

And the master adjustment:

IMG_4460.jpg

Which has this much rod either side of the clevis:

IMG_4461.jpg

Is there a 'reset point' so you can start from scratch? I gotta deliver some 45 rims for a bloke soon and I wanna do it my 45 :)

Would boiling clutch fluid cause any issues? The soft line is close to the exhaust, but the exhaust is wrapped. :meh:

Cult me mate when they said clutch "release" I assume they mean the clutch isn't disengaging fully so it's still putting drive to the transmission ( grinding gears when clutch is in), what need to do adjust so the throw out is getting enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch, once that is set then you can set the free play at the fork

So there's supposed to be a bit of air between the fork divot and the end of the slave pushrod?

So my squeal on clutch release was potentially because the whole show was way too tight?

When I jumped under it yesterday I wound the extension all the way back and checked the T/O bearing - it rolls smoothly, no sound and is seated snugly on the extension - ie. hasn't moved since installation.

So how does one adjust "so the throw out is getting enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch"? That extension would be my first port of call. Wind it in until..? Or is this a two man job?

Get a new clutch line. I thought mine was suspect as well, not from the fluid boiling, but the hot hose expanding under pressure, and didn't want it to burst on go on hot exhaust.

All good mate - mines new!
Get a new clutch line. I thought mine was suspect as well, not from the fluid boiling, but the hot hose expanding under pressure, and didn't want it to burst on go on hot exhaust.

Right then. There's a 40 run this weekend to Landcruiser Mountain Park [actual name] two hours away. Nothing like a deadline to get you moving.

~ With catskinner's help I got the clutch adjusted almost perfectly. There's still a bearing noise from the box whilst driving but that dreaded squeal is gone and now I can select all gears.
~ Fitted aftermarket mech water temp gauge. This will help me ID where my water loss is occurring. At the mo it's 90 degrees C at idle.
~ Flushed rad/block. Will fill with coolant tomorrow and burp.
~ Kitted idler joint in front chassis rail. Thanks again to coolerman for paving the way.
~ Fitted up new-to-me Bridgey's to my 16" one piece rims and fitted them up.
~ Test drove.

WOW. Wow. Those rag tyres are SO bad haha. I had no idea they were that bad. With the kitted idler, proper adjustment and new tyres the truck is literally transformed. It's actually a joy to drive. The steering is so light! And it doesn't wanna bind up going through corners. Amazing. I'm so pumped. This is what I've been wanting to drive all this time!

Took the new combo for a longer drive. Runs at 95 degrees C whether in traffic or not, uphill or down dale, idling or driving. The only time it broached 100 was when I shut it down and it hit 105 C once the fan wasn't pulling any air. This is with just water - no coolant. I used a socket to tighten up all my hose clamps to try source my water loss. Today I'll run coolant and take it for a spin and see if I still have loss.

Also drained and then refilled transfer and gearbox with fresh oil. Transfer was low [from when I had to take the handbrake drum off] and lost oil. Also oil was a bit black in there. Refilled with fresh 85-90W and took it for spin - my bearing sound was less by about half. So douche over here may have done some inadvertent damage by assuming the gearbox and transfer used the same oil.. it still functions though, so maybe if I listen to the motor the sounds will go away :D

Cleaned up my 16" one piece rims and tyres, degreased the top end of the motor and hosed it off. The squeal on clutch release came back a little and so did the difficulty in selecting gears. So I'll have to check the adjustment and have another think.

Other than that we're on for Saturday..

Coolant + tight hose clamps = no more leaks.

Set off this morning at 0530, met up with some 40 folk and drove in a convoy of three + an HDJ81 up to near Jimna, a full two hour trip one way. One of the other 40's needed a fuel filter changed out mid trip, but other than that everything ran like a clock. There were some serious hills and about 20 mins of hard driving on corrugated roads that shook me to pieces. But the truck survived.

Got there and because 40 series public figure John Rooth was there the prices has jumped from $25/day to $130/day. I declined, parked the rig outside and jumped in with someone else. A few hours later a photo-op was announced and so I marched outside and drove the bastard in, muttering about the $130 as I did. No one even asked for my pass haha. Parked it up and the photographer took a wide angle shot of 33 x 40-45 series trucks in a row. Hoping to track down a copy. My truck wasn't the earliest, there was a '69 there, but it had a 2H/H55 and discs and later indicators and windscreen panel etc. There was also a '71 with the original F but a H41. Seems no one likes a three speed!

There were some wild trucks there, full 79 series coil suspension and 1HZ on a HJ47 four door. A lifted HJ47 w/Chev 6.5 Diesel on 35's. Roothy's truck runs a Hino 3.9L [?] turbo in a cut down troopy. There was an FJ40 with a 12H-T and coil-over all round. There was a troopy with a 12H-T. A lot of the lads from the Fraser run came. Mine was one of two V8's, and the only one that looked like it was dragged from a barn - which was exactly what I wanted. Drove it home with a quick stopover at catskinner's for the Woodford seal of approval and then blasted my way home with no issues.

It's loud. Not just the 8, but the box whines like an old drunk Russian grandmother. There's no floor coverings. The pipes dump out under each door. The felt in the door channels has perished and the glass rattles like your fillings after a trip to the Cape. But I tell ya what - that little V8 sure has a deep rumbly sound and when it gets going it pulls like a freight train.

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

Wow, I'm glad I didn't go.

Personally, I'd have told them were to go and what they could do when they got there. That sort of a price rise is blatant gouging, made all the worse for the fact that your vehicle( and others) will help them sell more magazines or whatever it is he's now flogging, and you get no compensation.

I guess the only saving grace is you now get to go to the park when it changes hands.

Nice photos mate! Bet it's a great ride down there
Yeah not too bad. I like scenery changes, and often - so it's good. I think I'd struggle in WA Bryce.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't go.

Personally, I'd have told them were to go and what they could do when they got there. That sort of a price rise is blatant gouging, made all the worse for the fact that your vehicle( and others) will help them sell more magazines or whatever it is he's now flogging, and you get no compensation.

I guess the only saving grace is you now get to go to the park when it changes hands.

Yeah it's a total piss take. If the day was supremely organised and they had lots of activities planned and everyone was kept involved instead of milling around like cows until they got bored and wandered off, then you could almost justify giving away your stamped bezel entry fee. But it was a joke. Lucky I had some good company. Those gals have a great sense of humour.

Yeah not too bad. I like scenery changes, and often - so it's good. I think I'd struggle in WA Bryce.

Yeah it's a total piss take. If the day was supremely organised and they had lots of activities planned and everyone was kept involved instead of milling around like cows until they got bored and wandered off, then you could almost justify giving away your stamped bezel entry fee. But it was a joke. Lucky I had some good company. Those gals have a great sense of humour.
The web site made it sound like it was organized LOL contest and prizes. No matter you got the ol girl out on the road and met up with some very cool people. Top notch Mate. Great pics

Some pics from my colleagues:

12743616_10153199340297303_3507638533661368584_n.jpg

The red truck is a HJ47 w/Chev 6.5L diesel, the white dual cab runs full HZJ79 suspension, steering and drivetrain and drove from Melbourne!

12742684_10153199340332303_860671790165055096_n.jpg

The black shirty runs a 12H-T and coil-overs, the troopy unsure but nice, the camo 47 runs a 12H-T and A440F, and the Norforce troopy behind the tent looked pretty good too.

12742405_10153199340247303_5202010896923509226_n.jpg

The shorty is a stocker w/custom hardtop and new disc brake conversion [as of Thursday haha]. The 45 is the ugliest, dirtiest, rustiest truck ever and I am in no way jealous. Tim Jones. Good fella. Hates a beer.

12733496_10153199339407303_4695428438107602401_n.jpg

The cult-mobile made it where others did not! Go the Holden heart!

12742119_10153199340412303_5145421119619307623_n.jpg

A 5.30am line up on the way out. Refuelling stop 1 of 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom