Builds GX470 - Weekend Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a blank knockout there. I was wondering what was supposed to be there. So thats a factory switch? -mine does not have tpms thank God.

Sent from my XT1080

03 here, no TPMS. Also, if you dont have rub, you likely have better bushings in the control arms. As those age and wear the deflection will increase and you will likely have rubbing.

If you two, with an 03 and an 04, don't have the TPMS, I assume the GXs started getting them in 05 then?

As for the bushings go, the UCAs are brand new, and the lowers are 10 years old with 141k miles. I will pay close attention when flexing around. When I do start to rub it may be a good excuses to tell the wife to let me get some new wheels.

Oh and where can us newer guys find the applications for the Dan Kunz School of ATRAC Wheelin'? *Cough* *Cough* We need to plan that SouthEast GX meet that gets mentioned all the time.

.........We need to plan that SouthEast GX meet that gets mentioned all the time.
I'd be game for that. If y'all decide to plan one of those, let me know! By the way, speaking of the Southeast, have any of you followed the route that can be found on www.georgiaoverland.com ? That's a great area, and it looks like it'd be really interesting.

I plan to explore the western end of it this coming weekend.........

I would be happy to lead a ride if we get a GX meet setup.

I have no wheel spacers. Staying with the factory wheels, I only rubbed at full lock, going in reverse, on the front side of the fender liner. Heat gunning the plastic a reshaping it was quick and easy. The tires clear the UCAs and the body mount.
Well, crap. Just put the tires (285/70-17 BFG A/T KO2s) on the OEM wheels, and they contact the UCAs. Put on some non-hubcentric wheel spacers, and they hit the inner fender well but clear the body mount........sure wish mine had cleared the UCAs.

Strange how the EXACT same setup with EXACTLY the same size tire (but different brand), both on OEM wheels, end up with different results!

Just my luck!

I believe it is due to geometry changes due to age and condition of the control arm bushings.

I believe it is due to geometry changes due to age and condition of the control arm bushings.
It may be, but it'd have to be as a result of the lower arms only, as the uppers on this truck are brand new. BlackUSK56 has exactly the same setup (however, his miles may be lower....)

It may be, but it'd have to be as a result of the lower arms only, as the uppers on this truck are brand new. BlackUSK56 has exactly the same setup (however, his miles may be lower....)

That sucks to hear about the rubbing. I have 141k miles on mine. Maybe your BFGs run wider than my Coppers.

a fun place to play for the weekend, have meet some friends from Houston there before

Here is a video a friend of mine made of a drive down some counrty dirt and gravel roads, with a dozen shallow creek crossings.

@BlackUSK56 that is a nice video, thanks for posting it! I do have a question: is your suspension really that compliant, or is there some image stabliization at play?

I ask because regardless of the contours of the road/trail, there was no bouncing, no bobbing, no jarring whatsoever. It is more apparent when the camera is flipped to capture the rear tire. I understand the camera is mounted, but some of those contours etc should have produced some body movement, no? (esp at some of the faster speeds you were moving) Or for the duration of that video, were none of the contours transmitted to the body/you?

I forwarded your question to the video's creator. This is what he said:
"I would just put that is raw camera footage. So what you see us what we felt. Smooth"

I honestly had no clue the rear axle was traveling that much.

I can't say for sure how smooth BlackUSK56's suspension is, but I can tell you that mine (the same as his, but he's got the HD rear springs) is ULTRA smooth! It is tight - lacking the mushiness of the OEM suspension - but it is super comfortable both on and off road. It really sucks up the bumps without being bouncy or floaty. I don't have bumpers or any other really heavy accessories, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way mine turned out!

Haven't done much to the GX over the past few months, but I've been upgrading some of the equipment I take with me on adventures. I purchased a hand held HAM, an external antenna, and a mic for communication. My wife used her Amazon rewards cash and bought me some D-rings and a ARB snatch strap. I had a chance to thoroughly test out my wagon at Windrock OHV Park, for 2 days. The HAM was surprisingly crystal clear and worked to an unbelievable distance through the hills and trees. The ARB snatch strap, yeah, I didn't have to use it A-TRAC FTW! I did let two of my friends that came with me have turns behind the wheel, and unfortunately took some minor trail damage. I wish I had rock sliders for the trip.
kpPh9hP.jpg

TYzQLG3.jpg

Haven't done much to the GX over the past few months, but I've been upgrading some of the equipment I take with me on adventures. I purchased a hand held HAM, an external antenna, and a mic for communication. My wife used her Amazon rewards cash and bought me some D-rings and a ARB snatch strap. I had a chance to thoroughly test out my wagon at Windrock OHV Park, for 2 days. The HAM was surprisingly crystal clear and worked to an unbelievable distance through the hills and trees.

Isn't HAM great?! I love it! What's your call sign? Which handheld did you buy?

Isn't HAM great?! I love it! What's your call sign? Which handheld did you buy?

I picked up a Baofeng UV-82HP, with a Tram 1185 antenna.

-KM4PGF

Nice! Love that color :)

Which trails did you run at Windrock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom