NOT a frame-off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all. New to the community and this has doubtless been discussed at length previously but I'll re-invigorate (I hope) some conversation.

Long story short: Had an FJ-40 thirty years ago. Got married. Wife didn't appreciate the FJ. Got rid of the FJ. Some years later got rid of the wife. Got a new wife. New wife is thrilled that my mid-life crisis involves an FJ and not a GF. Soooooooo.....bought me a 1976 landcrusher!

It's a California rig and has minimal rust. I do plan on taking it down and giving her a fresh coat of paint (while the 350 SB is out and getting prettied up as well). I want to do as good a job as I can on cleaning, prepping, and coating the frame with the body still on. My primary objective is to neutralize the rust that I can't remove and then seal it from further exposure.

Looking for any and all ideas on mechanical and chemical cleaning and suggestions for coatings. Since I'll be doing this semi-restoration as a DYI project, I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions and thank you all in advance for your insight.

Careful what you wish for, it may turn into a full blown rebuild. See my thread below!

BTW, I am out near Hagerstown if you ever venture out into western MD.

I read your thread last night (post-great outdoor show and spending too much money on $%&@ I want but don't need). What I gathered is that before I start pulling crap off, I should spend a full weekend brewing and stockpile various brews of various strengths and hues. I might take you up on your offer and take a ride to Hagerstown before I yank the motor out. I'd appreciate it if you would just take a look at her and point out those spots that you think I should really look at.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll be appreciative of both technical and moral support.

Feel free to come on out, I could walk you through your entire rig at this point of my build! One thing leads to another, next thing you know your 40 is totally disassembled. The whole "while I'm in there" mentality sets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom