SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, not sure where to post this questions, so in SQOD it goes.

Is there already a thread or a car wash database? I know this isn't applicable to only 200s, but I've searched across all IH8MUD forums for a central repository and came up empty. If you can point me to the right place, I'd appreciate it.

But, there's really two objectives I'd like to see in this central database:

First, for those times when you need to knock the dirt off quickly, a state by state / city by city address guide where automatic car washes exist with features like, 1) enough clearance for lifted trucks, 2) brush/brush-less options, 3) under carriage wash for salt removal, 4) optional vacuum / towel dry services, 5) full service / hand wash options, etc... This, in my mind, might look like the tire & wheel database with quick/easy access and lookups?

Second, for those do-it-yourself folks, what products are recommended, and why? Sun, salt, sand protection, ease of use, durability, etc. Power washer recommendations, shammies, waxing discs and buffers, paste, polish, etc... Nifty solutions to LC specific problems (like using a swifter to get between roof & full rack, for example). Engine cleaners, frame protectant, windex vs vinegar water mix - you get the idea. Also, horror stories, accidents, and souvenirs from those brush-liberating run-thrus are perfect inclusions!

I'm realize the second topic will have a lot of opinions and I'm not looking to stir up a hornets nest. And, I'm sure a lot of LMGTFY (let me google that for you) already exists, but perhaps the LC bunch is a special bunch with preferred products and techniques? Every time I google for recommendations of using turtle wax, I'll get 50% saying "it sucks" and 50% "it works".

I know from my wide searches on these items has found sporadic info here & there already on IH8MUD, so I thought centralizing it might make sense.

Any interest? Or should I go pound sand?

There have been a number of threads on washing, paint care, polishing etc. There here, though they may be buried pretty deep.

For the first question, never use auto car washes. The self-service bays are fine for their water and having a place to wash dirt off, but not their chemicals or brushes or anything else really. You're better off buying a nice hose attachment if you live in a house.

Second question, hop on here and do a lot of reading Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
It's a half-assed answer but there are many, many schools of thought on the subject.

I use:

MTM Foam Lance with Chemical Guys Citrus Soap
Micro Fiber Cloths using 2 bucket wash

For paint care:

Clay Bar with Meguiars Quick Detailer
Meguiars Ultimate Compound with DA polisher
Followed up with Chemical guys v38 with DA polisher
Followed by Chemical Guys JetSeal with DA polisher
Followed by Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax
Each of the above is buffed off with microfiber cloths

IMG_2173_zpsvjqpgux2.jpg

Last edited:
@TonyP thanks for the tip!

pretty sure I'm beyond car washing at this point:D

@kevinfoutch , this was after the above list. I took this pic this afternoon:

4a0d697c-c664-4ef7-8fa0-759abf1d0877_zps02kwswsj.jpg

pretty sure I'm beyond car washing at this point:D

@kreiten based on all your photos, I have no doubt you'd go bankrupt plunking quarters into the local autowash! I'm still in a bit of a sales role at work and take clients out to lunch/drinks/dinner in my truck, so I have to at least pretend to dust it off occasionally ;)

Anybody else having issues accessing Mud through the app? Mine has been down since last week. I typically use the general Mud app and I tried the Tapatalk app and doesn't work either.

There is a diagram here that might help. Doesn't show threads though, but gives you an idea of the shape:

GSIC - Global Service Information Center

It's not a very detailed drawing, but here's how I interpret it:

KDSS_Valve_10FEB16_zps2zef7kwu.jpg

The valve has basically three parts:

Barrel - this is where the O-Ring seal rides up and down against a smooth wall to maintain a fluid seal

Seat - this is where the conical end of the valve seats into the valve body to achieve a mechanical seal

Head - this is where the bolt face is and, IMHO, the only area that could be threaded

HTH

My thoughts too

Anybody else having issues accessing Mud through the app? Mine has been down since last week. I typically use the general Mud app and I tried the Tapatalk app and doesn't work either.
i think its dead

Anybody know what this 2nd row seat belt retention clip is, and how (& why) it is used? I couldn't align the seat belt in any standard position to even remotely come close to having it retained, it kept falling out, so I assume I am using this incorrectly. I thought it might help with the occasional seat belt strap rattle when bouncing around.

Also, perhaps somewhat related, when you fold up your 2nd row for additional cargo room, and you unfold the self-contained strap & hook to attach to the 'oh crap' handles, what is your preferred method for storing the hook/strap back underneath the seat? I am (literally) pushing rope trying to shove that crap back into place.

2016-02-15 14.09.35.jpg

Anybody know what this 2nd row seat belt retention clip is, and how (& why) it is used? I couldn't align the seat belt in any standard position to even remotely come close to having it retained, it kept falling out, so I assume I am using this incorrectly. I thought it might help with the occasional seat belt strap rattle when bouncing around.

Also, perhaps somewhat related, when you fold up your 2nd row for additional cargo room, and you unfold the self-contained strap & hook to attach to the 'oh crap' handles, what is your preferred method for storing the hook/strap back underneath the seat? I am (literally) pushing rope trying to shove that crap back into place.

View attachment 1209102

Slide the strap in with the seatbelt clasp up above the clip so that the belt is clipped. Slide down the metal tab that would normally insert into the female end of the seatbelt and push it into the centre hole of that clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom