Introduction/Request for local help/Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ns275

"Whammy!"
Threads
Hello All,

I purchased my first Land Cruiser two months ago from a friend of a friend and have really enjoyed the truck immensely. She's a '96 FZJ80 with 233,xxx miles on the unmodified 1FZ-FE. Heres most of the work Im aware of that has been done.

-2.5" old man emu lift

-285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires, with spare, about 20,000 miles on them

-ARB front bumper with warn 9,500lb winch

-PIAA halogen auxiliary lights

-Rocky-road designs sliders

-center diff lock

-wilderness roof rack

-rear bumper with tire swing out

-fender flares removed

-on board air compressor

-differential breathers extended

IMG_0224.JPG_zpsdeowbtn3.jpeg

IMG_2315_zpsiuttgohi.jpg

I am a total rube when it comes to offroading as well as wrenching on a LC and have really enjoyed lurking here for the last couple of months gleaning as much pertinent information as I can. I am definately looking forward to continuing the journey as this LC goes from being someone else's project to becoming my project. I have to say though, for someone with as little experience as myself, the sheer volume of in-depth knowledge presented can sometimes be like drinking from a firehose.... Giving an overwhelming desire to rip the whole truck apart and rebuild it. (Completely and totally out of the relm of possibility at this point in my life.)

That said, I am hoping to see if there are any local LC owners/overlander's in Tacoma, WA who know a lot about 80 series LC's and would be willing to meet up with me over beer/grub and help give me an idea of where to start, and sort of mentor/ help me figure out where I should start regarding my truck in conjunction with the money already spent by the previous owner building what he did. (I wish I can just head up to TorFab which is not too far from where I live but currently my income prohibits that approach)

Again, thanks to you all for the awesome resource iH8Mud.com is and the personal narratives regarding your projects and the inspiration they give. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you all in the future.

Welcome! Sorry I don't know anyone in the Tacoma area. I saw an old thread for a meet up in SW WA in the trails board, but that's a close as I know. I'm sure someone will come. Your local club will be helpful I'm sure. It's just a matter of finding them.

Start with the basics.
-Fluids baselined
-Any noises are a concern of something about to break or already broken
-Leaks

Do you have any kind of maintenance history on it? The work you mention is modifications. I worry that my truck is mechanically sound before I worry about appearance or other mods. I need to know I'll get back again. In my area its water, heat/cold exposure, and rattlesnakes to worry about if I breakdown. You've got sasquatch and that's a lot worse!

Good people on here. Someone will turn up.

Click the clubhouse button at the top to find local club to your area. I believe there are two and one is much more active from what I recall.

Truck looks great. Congrats on the score.

My only and first recomendation is to ditch the rocky road sliders if you plan to actually wheel the truck and potentially put them to use. They plain suck and are under built in every manner for your vehicle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better to here now than learn in the woods

any idea who made the rear bumper ?

I'm not close (in Arizona) but I drove to Washington over Christmas with my 94 LC. :bounce2: I'm no expert but I have a 94 and 95 LC and like chatting about them. You're welcome to PM me and once you figure out the search on the forum, it provides great focused info.
Welcome!
:flipoff2: (Official greeting)

I'm not close (in Arizona) but I drove to Washington over Christmas with my 94 LC. :bounce2: I'm no expert but I have a 94 and 95 LC and like chatting about them. You're welcome to PM me and once you figure out the search on the forum, it provides great focused info.
Welcome!
:flipoff2: (Official greeting)

Thanks! :)

Im definitely making use of it already and will continue to do so. The PM offer is also appreciated. Ill be sure to do so.

Thanks for the compliments and advice. Again, its appreciated.

So, the clubhouses tab.... I quite literally noticed that by accident about ten minutes after I posted my intro. :doh:
I will be sure to contact them both and attempt to see which is more active and involved very soon.

As to the RR Sliders..... Yeah, I read about them on some of the posts Ive gone through searching the forum about all the aftermarket parts on the LC. The plate which is supposed to protect the cats is already bent up which gave me a clue as to their "quality and dependability" and after reading, Im aware the "warranty" isn't worth pursuing.

I was planning on PM'ing the forum member who said he fabricated new mounts and then used them their their satisfaction. If they can be made to be effective without spending another 4-500 dollars, Im ok with it. (Especailly as I know Ive got an exhaust leak to tackle soon.) Again, any advice is appreciated regarding this.

Well, my truck is totalled because I was too cheap to spend $900 on an ARB (or similar) bumper. The armor is like insurance. My next truck will have it, and it will be good quality.

Welcome! Sorry I don't know anyone in the Tacoma area. I saw an old thread for a meet up in SW WA in the trails board, but that's a close as I know. I'm sure someone will come. Your local club will be helpful I'm sure. It's just a matter of finding them.

Start with the basics.
-Fluids baselined
-Any noises are a concern of something about to break or already broken
-Leaks

Do you have any kind of maintenance history on it? The work you mention is modifications. I worry that my truck is mechanically sound before I worry about appearance or other mods. I need to know I'll get back again. In my area its water, heat/cold exposure, and rattlesnakes to worry about if I breakdown. You've got sasquatch and that's a lot worse!

Good people on here. Someone will turn up.

Thank you for the information and direction to focus on. I definitely agree that the mechanical condition of the motor is first priority. That is precisely why I need to get into the clubhouse/meet with some experienced people so I have a solid understanding of what my rig needs particularly.

Again, thanks for the advice. :)

Well, my truck is totalled because I was too cheap to spend $900 on an ARB (or similar) bumper. The armor is like insurance. My next truck will have it, and it will be good quality.

Im sorry to hear about your truck. Thats gotta be tough.

I have no plans of hammering the thing, but I want to ensure if I need to push her a bit then she's ready for it.

Click the clubhouse button at the top to find local club to your area. I believe there are two and one is much more active from what I recall.

Truck looks great. Congrats on the score.

My only and first recomendation is to ditch the rocky road sliders if you plan to actually wheel the truck and potentially put them to use. They plain suck and are under built in every manner for your vehicle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better to here now than learn in the woods

any idea who made the rear bumper ?
Oh, I forgot the R. Bumper....
The last owner fabricated it. Overall I like it but plan on modifying some things on it. (Down the line...)

I have ensured the fluids are in good condition and at the appropriate levels and the PO gave me records to show the maintenance is up to date. This is where Im looking to have someone who knows how they run also look over it and give me the skinny as to whats on the agenda for work. I will be making sure to get in touch with the club to help in this endeavor.

I'm a little further north of you but my in laws live in Lakewood so I go down that way often enough. If you need a hand in some wrenching just let me know. I may be able to swing by and drop the family off in Lakewood and lend a hand.

Cheers,
Salue

I'm a little further north of you but my in laws live in Lakewood so I go down that way often enough. If you need a hand in some wrenching just let me know. I may be able to swing by and drop the family off in Lakewood and lend a hand.

Cheers,
Salue

Thank you very much for the offer. I live in Lakewood too so that would be very convenient. We are looking to be moving into a new place still in lakewood/tacoma area in the next few months (with a garage) and when we do I'll be sure to keep you in mind.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom