Aux lights that are only battery powered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't be the only one interested in this, but I want to mount two small lights on the back of my 100 series where my spoiler used to mount that are AA powered. I do car camping where we basically park, hang out for the weekend with other families, and the car stays parked for two days/nights. I don't want to wire anything to the truck and would love to mount lights that are simply battered powered via AA like a typical LED lantern. Is there anything like that?

Man, for some reason pics won't post, but I am also trying to utilize the bolts the rear spoiler used to be attached to. However, I don't care to run wiring and don't need long periods of light.

There are a lot of battery bike headlights available, some rechargeable and some take AA batteries.

I've considered this as well, but when I open the hatch I'm going to lose my lights.

Ok, I switched browsers and I can now upload a picture. This is a screenshot from another Mudder's 100 series, but mine is exactly the same except it is blue. The two bolts on each side of the center brake light is where the spoiler was attached. It was suggested that this would be a perfect mounting point for a rear spot or flood light. I'll look for bike lights, but what I am looking for is a normal looking light, but can take regular batteries.

Spoiler mount.jpg

I was brainstorming last night and I believe scottm's suggestion to look at bike lights is going to be my best option. I will fabricate a u-shaped bracket that that will bolt in. I will bolt in a tube across the open top of the "u", I don't weld, which would also work. The tube will give me a mounting point for the bicycle light because they all mount to tubes. It looks like there are some good bike lights out there going through Amazon last night.

My other option is to use a normal automotive aux light and make a custom battery case that I splice into the light cord. I could try to utilize one of the two bolts to hold the small battery pack or I could just keep the battery pack inside the truck.

Some might say why bother. Well I have the scrap material on hand to put something together. I just like the idea of using those two mounting points and having a couple lights shine out the back towards the campsite. I want them to work a few hours without running the truck in auxiliary with other things running the battery down.

I think I'd avoid having to leave my light outdoors full time, for occasional use. Attaching with magnets or suction cups to the side just in front of the hatch would let me lift the hatch without losing my light. I'd really like to mount some rear-facing lights inside the rear hatch window, wired to my truck electrical, so I would have light with the hatch up or down.

You'd be better off getting a rechargeable LED work lamp and just placing it on the tailgate or roof or something while you're in camp.

IMG_20160209_185432387.jpg
IMG_20160209_185530240.jpg
IMG_20160209_185453042.jpg
I picked up these Nilight 18watt x 2 lights and a pack of two 8 AA battery holders with a switch. My initial test was positive.

]

Oh yes, the cheapo Amazon lights. I have two sets that I have not hooked up yet. At 18W each they draw 1.5A (at 12V) so that's 1500mA they need to sustain all the time, each hour is 1500mAh. I don't think a set of AAs will run very long at that current level, it seems like Alkaline batteries don't really list their capacities but reading around shows anywhere from 1500mAh to 2700mAh, meaning you are only getting an hour to an hour and a half out of those lights.

Oh yes, the cheapo Amazon lights. I have two sets that I have not hooked up yet. At 18W each they draw 1.5A (at 12V) so that's 1500mA they need to sustain all the time, each hour is 1500mAh. I don't think a set of AAs will run very long at that current level, it seems like Alkaline batteries don't really list their capacities but reading around shows anywhere from 1500mAh to 2700mAh, meaning you are only getting an hour to an hour and a half out of those lights.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I made. If I end up liking it I'll explore other battery options. The 8 battery holders were cheap and I have a lot of rechargeable AA's.

A buddy of mine has magnetic LEDs that he just throws onto the side of his Sprinter. Probably from Amazon.

I had these motion sensor battery flood lights at home so I figured they'd be good to have during camp since they only stay on when you're around. Also can keep them on in the middle of the night and always have light if nature calls or if maybe a animal walks by camp.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
They are also quick release and fully adjustable up down 360.
image.jpeg

Well yeah, but it is more fun to use mounts on the cruiser. I could also use a propane lanterns, but that is not fun for me.

Instead of using AA's you could get a small lithium-ion pack. You can triple your capacity or more (lights on time) for the same amount of weight and space

something like this:

14.4V 14.8V 8*18650 5200mAh 4S2P Lithium ion Li-ion Battery Pack [8x 18650 4S2P 14.8V 5200mAh] - $52.00 : Lithium Rechargeable Batteries, Battery BMS, Pack Assembling

If you want to continue searching you are looking for 4 cells in series to give you the correct voltage. Parallel cells will increase capacity (run time).

You will also need a 4S charger for lithium-ion.

5.2Ah @ 14.4V = 75Wh or 5 hours of run time with that 15W LED

The AA pack you have arranged there holds about 15-18 Wh, and will power your light for 1 hour.

I have 2 pelican cases I carry with me, working on a solar charger design but the cases hold just under 2Kw of power, or 2,000Wh. That will power your light for 133 hours, and the cases only weigh 25lb's

Just an idea, I have a separate case as well with component marine speakers in it, a 400W amp and a Bluetooth module... It pounds! and I have never run out of battery power...

Last edited:
@kowalski thanks for the L-ion tip. I thought about that, but wanted to keep costs down. I used two 8-AA packs, which is basically a proof of concept. If I end up finding these as useful as I hope then I may upgrade.

I got these going over the weekend. I used barrel connectors so I could easily unhook the batteries when not in use. I did a test, but didn't make sure every battery was fully charged. One didn't get a noticeable dim until the 2 hr mark. The other dimmed 30 minutes earlier. I killed the test at about 2 hrs 40 mins, but it wasn't dark when I tested so I don't know at what point the dim got to little to be useful. However, a solid two hours is what I realistically hoped for running one light from 8 AA batteries.

IMG_20160402_121710824.jpg
IMG_20160402_121611165.jpg
IMG_20160402_121606301.jpg
IMG_20160402_121554189.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom