Titanium cup ( not that kind) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good posts y'all. Have been getting titanium one piece at a time but have had my cast iron since 1975 and still cooking on it. Have bought all my cast iron at flea markets or garage sales. It is getting harder to find good CI that way because everybody is "discovering" it.

Rusty TLC, worried you might be ingesting lead and other chemicals cooking with a tin can. Hobo's and homeless do it but you never hear about their health issues or life span.

Good posts y'all. Have been getting titanium one piece at a time but have had my cast iron since 1975 and still cooking on it. Have bought all my cast iron at flea markets or garage sales. It is getting harder to find good CI that way because everybody is "discovering" it.

Rusty TLC, worried you might be ingesting lead and other chemicals cooking with a tin can. Hobo's and homeless do it but you never hear about their health issues or life span.
Lead hasn't been used in tin cans for decades, for that matter neither has tin. "Tin" cans are actually steel cans that at one time were dipped in tin to prevent rust. Tin was replaced by other materials many years ago.

OK Rusty, I defer to your knowledge on that. I'm 70 so I guess my age is showing on tin cans. I was always told not to store uneaten food in the can even if in the ice box. I can still hear my Mother driving that issue into my brain but, she was born in 1926.

Mom lived before we had better living through chemistry. In her day cans were probably still dipped in molten tin. At some point we started using polymer coatings, not sure of the history on that.

Due to all the new coatings , I've been told not to heat or cook the food in the can as the coating will be transferred into the food.

If the food doesn't kill us then drinking from the garden hose as kids will surely get us.

Honestly, who really knows now days ? ! ? ! ?

I think just living will kill us all...eventually.

I'm pretty sure the hose I drank from as a kid was made in Acron OH out of real rubber. Today we barely monitor the safety of the paint on kids toys imported from China, never mind a hose not intended for potable water. I don't drink from the garden hose anymore.

The coating on cans withstands the processing temperature required for canning without breaking down. For home canning that's around 240°F to 250°F for low acid foods; meats, beans, etc.. As a point of reference water boils at 212°F. (This is why you need a pressure canner for low acid foods.) I'd say food heated in a water bath while still in the can wouldn't hurt anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom