Millermatic 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My work has a very old millermatic 200 welder. It has sat in our tool room for years. Supposedly works but leaks Argon. I was considering trying to buy it from work. Just wondered what it might be worth. And is it even worth bring back to life as I'm sure after sitting so long it will need other repairs. I would need to buy an argon tank and some Mig wire to start for it. Plus the purchase price of the welder.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453226666.867029.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453226678.837836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453226695.296361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453226720.425350.jpg

This plastic gauge is where it leaks from I'm told.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453226762.195820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

You would think they'd give it away to an employee... Can't be worth very much.
If there is a leak at the pressure gauge, that'd be trivial to fix by replacing the pressure gauge ($20) or if more serious the regulator assembly which looks very old ($150 or so new for the regulator and $100 for the flowmeter - just guessing). Unlikely the pressure gauge would leak though. If it does it may just need to be reinstalled with good sealant. Flowmeter may be slightly more likely, but still could be just a connection.
I would call Miller and ask them about parts availability and you may even be able to talk to somebody familiar with the machine and who could tell you what to expect.

Jump on one of the welder forums or even the tech forum on Miller's site - there have been some threads recently about that very machine . I know the liners for that type of gun are nla unless you want to fight a generic - might have to replace the whole assembly . I wouldn't give a whole lot for it , but they are a solid machine with a heavy transformer - which means you'd better be able to supply a solid 50+ amps for it on 220v . Is it single or 3ph ?
Sarge

This was my first new purchase back in 87. That machine is worth little in my opinion. Make sure it works, if so, offer less than scrap pricing unless they give it away (they really should). Parts for that machine can be challenging to find. The spot weld panel is a upgrade feature.
Those machines where more reliable due to its design simplicity (no crazy complicated circuit boards to burn out).

Miller 200 same today 185 as it was then. Most parts are available get a good rep Airgas. For parts and service if you need it by a qualified maintenance shop

Sent from my iPhone

It's 3phase. Asked the owner and he gave it to me. Now I need a regulator, argon and wire.

Edit:it's only singe phase. I was mistaken, sorry

Last edited:
Do you have 3 phase wiring available where you want to use this?

If you don't you won't need wire, regulator, or argon (not straight argon for mig). IOW don't buy anything until you can power the welder up.

No 3phase at home, work has it obviously so I could get it working and just use it at work or sell it and use the money to get a HF 220 welder.

My first mig welder years ago was from HF. Worked ok for a few years then stopped working. Tried to get it repaired by a shop but they had a hard time finding the parts needed to do so. Took it to the dump and bought a lincoln 110 then later a Miller 210. No problems with either after years of use.

Machine looks not to be gently used, and 3 phase is huge minus. That being said....
When the economy tanked, there were some excellent scores on CL for good slightly used machines, I would search there for your future investment. The MM 200 was a bullet proof workhorse, and I am not surprised when I see these still out there doing the job. Look for a MM Vintage (based on the same frame) or 210 and stay away from HF (you will thank yourself later).

Well I need to correct my post. I thought it was 3phase but it's not. Im learning so bear with me. It's only single phase. I picked up an HF 180 amp welder NIB with a broken knob for 100 bucks on CL. I purchased gloves, a new regulator and a helmet. Just need some argon and an adapter so I can plug these welders in and see which I like best.

I love old tools...you got the right kind of deal on it. have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom