Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a thought from a PM:

Should the exhaust isolator a be in compression, be having the exhaust brackets rest above the isolators?

It looks like that is the factory method, and might result in longer isolator life when they get old and crusty.

Dan

Don't lose sleep over it. They will still last 10-15 years how they are now.

Don't lose sleep over it. They will still last 10-15 years how they are now.

Thanks.

I'll do the third (and final) mount "correctly" but I'll leave these two as is. I've ordered a spare or two, so I'll just plan on replacing them once a decade or so. ;)

Dan

And as long as the third is placed the opposite there will be way less force on the other two!

17567-17010

@DanS HJ-45 thank you for all your effort in documenting the build, an inspiration to be sure.

No problem! It helps me keep straight what I have, and have not done yet.

Dan

Got a couple days to play in the shop, so lets get to it!

First job today: finish prepping the frame for the rear bumper.
I had already removed the 5 rivets, but I still needed to cut out the rear crossmember.
IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

Then, I placed some of the 4x4Labs bumper on there, so that I could get busy fabricating the rest of the exhaust.

All done!
IMG_3241.jpg

Here's some pics showing it vertically. It should clear the fuel tank at this height, and the only place where it really drops below the bottom of the frame is around the rear axle--and even then only a little.
IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

One more pic, of the tailpipe. I still need to add the last exhaust hanger (probably tomorrow).
IMG_3245.jpg

You'll notice that the tailpipe is removable. Dad and I debated that a bit, but this way if the exhaust gets damaged (we damage the exhaust on the 60 pretty regularly) I will only have to deal with about 8" of the exhaust to fix it.

That said, this shouldn't be very susceptible to damage anyway, being pretty much above the frame rail in the back, and tucked into that cornet of the frame and bumper.

I already realize that I need to shorten it as it is. That way it will clear the crossmember that I have not yet welded in on the bumper.

EDIT--my sister sent me a video of the windshield washer heater working this morning. She also lives in the mountains of Colorado, and she started recording right after starting the engine--maybe 15 seconds after starting it.

She is tickled pink with the Alphatherm in her Tacoma. I can't wait to have my 60 running so that I can also enjoy such small pleasures on cold mornings. ;)

Dan

Last edited:
Damn that can't be good for the blades, but that was wicked fast. Probably worth burning through blades a little faster. I am definitely adding that to the want list. I am imagining how handy that will be in the employee lot after a snow storm on a windy snowy night. That and a webasco is priceless.

OK, I got a couple pics.

I finish welded the exhaust. Doing a series of tacks turned out to be the most consistent way for me to get a decent weld. We've got a Miller 210, which doesn't have the infinite voltage setup that newer welders do. I think that would make it easier to not burn through. I definitely had to control the weld carefully to avoid burning through. But I'm happy with how it turned out.

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

FedEx had a hiccup, so I didn't get the box with a few parts I was waiting for, but I'm glad that the exhaust is done. It really looks great, IMHO.

So today I did some other odds and ends that needed doing. Like powder coating the T-case flanges, putting in the new studs and dust shield.
IMG_3252.jpg

Much better.

That's it for now. I'm off to work tomorrow, and I doubt I will get to play with the 60 for a few weeks now.

Dan

I think it's 21 splines. I just used it since it is in the kit. But I also have another 21 spline alignment tool in the shop--that I will check it against. I bought the other one from an auto parts store a long time ago--to do the clutch on the faux-lux. If it's the same: would you like one of them?

I did check up on this. The splines are the same between the B and the HZ clutch alignment tools. But the shaft that fits into the pilot bearing is a different diameter between the two.

That's a funny color to ceramic coat the manifold o_O

Fixed it for you.

IMG_0958.JPG

The Exhaust Manifold is back from the ceramic coater. Looks great! I can't wait to get back to working on the truck so I can really button stuff up for good!

Dan

Did they blast it for you too or did you have to do that before you sent it in? Looks nice. I am having exhaust envy!

Nope. The rusty/patina look is how I dropped it off to them. i did separate the front and rear sections (and removed the C-clip seals). But that's it. No masking, no cleaning of threads, etc.... Drop it off rusty looking, pick it up like that! I've never dropped off a super crusty manifold to them though, maybe that would be an issue. But all of the manifolds we have given them have looked about the same...

Don't focus on how it looks though. Focus on how little heat it will radiate. ;) It will be mostly hidden behind a heat shield anyway.

Dan

Hey Dan

I am also in the midst of installing a 1HZ in my '89 FJ62.

Would you be able to measure exactly the distance between the arrows? I cannot seem to get the engine back enough to get decent clearance over the front diff. Granted, my leafs are bone stock with 650,000km of sag on them. (2" OME are on the way for hopefully more clearance).

Cheers

Hey Dan

I am also in the midst of installing a 1HZ in my '89 FJ62.

Would you be able to measure exactly the distance between the arrows? I cannot seem to get the engine back enough to get decent clearance over the front diff. Granted, my leafs are bone stock with 650,000km of sag on them. (2" OME are on the way for hopefully more clearance).

Cheers

I certainly can next time I'm in the shop. It may be tomorrow, or it may be in a few weeks. Not sure yet.

Dan

I forgot to measure that distance for you today, but I will tomorrow!

I got a couple days to kick around the shop, so lets see how much I can get done while getting over a bit of a bug, shall we?

First up, I bolted the exhaust back together for the final time...
IMG_3253.jpg

I really like the color and finish of the ceramic coated exhaust manifold here. It will be largely covered up by the heat shield, but I'll know it's under there, I guess.
IMG_3254.jpg

I recall some discussion about the possibility of using a 2LT-E A/C compressor on the 1HZ. Since I had one in the shop, I tried it:
IMG_3256.jpg

As you can see, the bolt holes are not far apart enough to fit the 1HZ bracket, and the pulley is too far forward to work.

More pics tomorrow, I think. ;)

Dan

No worries @DanS HJ-45

The issue we had was the donor 1HZ came from a HZJ80 which has different engine block to rubber mounts, so when we dropped the motor into the 62, they didn't align properly using @orangefj45 engine mounts. The motor was sitting too low, and the sump was only an inch or so above the front diff. Georg pointed out to me that I would need to get 70 series engine/rubber mounts. Once we did that, issue was sorted.

Below is just for reference.

The one on the left is the HZJ80 driver side mount. The one on the right is the HZJ79 (2015 model) mount. The Toyota dealer had them shipped from Japan in 2 weeks.

Thread hijack over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom