Questions about buying a pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can tell you from those photos that it's rusted through in spots. I bought a second body shell for my build that had that same bubbling paint. I thought it was surface rust as well, until I started poking around on it with a flat screwdriver. There were holes everywhere. Paint will hide a lot. That said, I was about as green as they come as far as auto body work goes. Don't let the rust scare you. These are great vehicles to learn new things. Take scrapdaddy's advice. You are way ahead for posting your thread and asking questions. I wish I had done that before I bought my first one. Let's just say it was an expensive lesson learned.
Good luck.

The pictures makes me nervous. If that was all the rust it wouldn't be too bad if I could get a good deal on it.
Does Bobm make those pieces?
I'm going to keep looking. The blue one in Kansas sold. There's one that's up in Boston, but I just noticed from the pictures that the rockers are wrapped in diamond plate. It says NO RUST. But I'm pretty sure diamond plate causes rust. I'll keep looking.

I'm headed to philly in thenext week or so. I may try to go see this one in Harrisburg if I can get a day off while I'm there.
1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55

Feel free to rate any of these on the Rush scale for me.

Just for reference, the '77 parts pig I have originally came out of Texas. It has the craziest, most insidious, cancerous rust I have seen yet on a pig (I am not a pig guru though ;)). I'm guessing it lived near the coast. The rust bubbles on the Harrisburg '77 look very similar......... Nice looking rig otherwise.

If the pictured rust is the only rust it has then it seems like a reasonable deal... BUT I would go over the whole undercarriage with a fine tooth comb just to be sure. I can't believe it rusted all the way through just 10 years after a paint job. That'd be reason enough for me never to live there.

I can't believe it rusted all the way through just 10 years after a paint job

Because it rusted from the inside out. Paint on the outside doesn't stop it coming through. Unless they pull down the headliner and treat inside that pocket, all along the roof, it will keep on rusting. Condensation and bad gutter sealing will help ruin a new paint job quick.

i didn't want to clutter the Rush post with my questions. I should be in the market for a pig in the next month or so. I've been looking all over for a while. I wanted to spend about $10k on one that's pretty original, but has to have a good body and paint. Can I get something without rust for that price or if I had to, a few grand more? I've been looking at these two, do you guys know anything about them?
Toyota Land Cruiser 1974 FJ55 FOR SALE!!!!!

1972 Toyota Land cruiser FJ55

I owned a pig years ago and have regretted selling it ever since. Any advice would be appreciated.

Suggest you submit a "Wanted" post in the FJ55 Classifieds Corner.

For the prices of these listed, I'd entertain putting mine up for sale. It would be in primer and blocked ready for paint. That would allow you to see exactly what you have. My wife continues to ride me about getting that ugly thing out of the garage.

I'm probably 45-60 days worth of effort to install enough wiring and stuff to get the 5.3L running. All the hard work is done.

My New Project

PM me if it might be something you're interested in.

For the prices of these listed, I'd entertain putting mine up for sale. It would be in primer and blocked ready for paint. That would allow you to see exactly what you have. My wife continues to ride me about getting that ugly thing out of the garage.

I'm probably 45-60 days worth of effort to install enough wiring and stuff to get the 5.3L running. All the hard work is done.

My New Project

Dude! No! You've done such great work! Finish it out. If you don't love it, then maybe sell it (yes, advice is easy to give from my armchair ;))

No don't NikP

Dude! No! You've done such great work! Finish it out. If you don't love it, then maybe sell it (yes, advice is easy to give from my armchair ;))

Reverse phsycology ploy. I mentioned to my wife I offered to sell it, she said, "Why would you want to do something like that?" Go figure.

My New Project

Reverse phsycology ploy. I mentioned to my wife I offered to sell it, she said, "Why would you want to do something like that?" Go figure.

Wife wants to keep riding you? :doh:

What"s something like this worth with a bad motor and bad interior?
00m0m_13e8IlcJYCn_600x450.jpg
00w0w_6ZYvQ69lOal_600x450.jpg
00X0X_gAzFMH2ujQw_600x450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom