Help on using wheel spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pandasfj

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for info on using wheel spacers on front of my fj62. Got a set of 16x8 wheels that clear the break calipers. The wheels came with 1/4" spacers for the front but the wheel slightly rubs on the tie rod by about 1/8". Can I use 1/2" spacers to clear the tie rod ? And do they make longer studs so that the lugs can have more threads to screw onto? Has anyone had this kind of problem and what was the cure?
I don't want to end up using 1" wheel adapters if possible.Thanks for any info.

I am assuming that you have this resolved by now since no one responded sooner. you can buy 1/2 inch spacers but then have to install 1/2 inch longer studs. This involves lots of labor and additional parts since you would have to tear down your knuckles. Cheap/easier route is 1 inch spacers. I used Spidertrax myself

Thanks Devin for the reply. I ended up using 1 1/2" wheel spacers after all. My front wheels stick out a little further than the rears but I'll be adding an fzj80 rear axle in the future so the tracks will even out.
I've used wheel spacers before and never had a problem. I was hoping to use longer studs but your right it's just more of a hassle. Thanks again for your help....gil

Sorry to be late, but you can also get "ET" (extended thread) lug nuts that will give you the needed engagement for thinner spacers.

DickM if you could provide a source for longer wheel studs for 60/62's I'd sure appreciate it.
I have an FJ60, and am interested in what you have found.

Sorry, no new info to add for wheel studs. My solution was different lug nuts that had "extended threads" that allowed additional thread engagement on the factory wheel studs. Worked well for 1/4" spacers with aluminum alloy (thicker) wheels.
HTH

Thanks for your reply. I think there was a thread about someone ordering longer wheel studs from Australia. Maybe those longer lug nuts would fit nicely onto those studs when used with spacers. I just went with the 1 1/2"spacers for now. My problem was not being able to clear the tie rod,everything else was ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom