Gremlins? Battery / Alternator w/ batt light intermittent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck: 2000 4runner w/ 250k miles
Batt: 4 year old red top (i know some hate them)
Alt: ~150k miles on it (replaced with OEM)

What is going on: very randomly (sometimes goes for months with no problem) the batt light comes on and no charging is taking place. It then will literally "fix itself" and then recharge, batt light goes off and all is well. Then it will resurface and the light comes back on and hit repeat....fixes itself.

Batt and alt test good. Batt terminals are clean and connected well.

My thought is that there is a wiring issue / bad connection somewhere. My plan tonight is to go through all wire connections, clean and ensure they are secure, check neg ground off batt, etc.

Am I missing something / going down the wrong path?

It just doesn't seem like a bad batt or alt since it will recharge for several weeks it not months. I'd think if bad batt or alt, I'd just be stuck with now power.

This sounds stupid but worth double checking. My 97 4runner was doing that when I first bought it and also did that often after startup.

The previous owner or their mechanic had left the battery terminal at the alternator loose. It ended up getting so much heat from the added resistance and poor connection that it had burnt the terminal and lug on the alternator.

Sounds dumb, but just double check the cable at the alternator.

Checked all the connections and couldn't find anything.

I ended up putting a new alt on there. I'll monitor and see if it comes back.

These type of things drive me crazy.

The exact same thing happened to me in January. 2001 with 265K. The battery light went on... Then off. Then on and off. Then on, then offf. You get the idea.

I pulled the alternator and had a shop rebuild it. Fine since then.

I have had new alternators fail in Blazers. It may have happened to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom