opinions on roof top tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had 2 James Baroud tents fail on me. My first issue (cracking fiber glass) was rejected and the 2nd brand new tent I bought the fabric is now wearing out from being opened/shut.

My 2nd claim is going to be fixed under warranty but I've been waiting 5+ months now....for the $3000 I can't recommend the tent.

Whole story is documented here:

Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure

James Baroud tent failure? - Expedition Portal

I've had 2 James Baroud tents fail on me. My first issue (cracking fiber glass) was rejected and the 2nd brand new tent I bought the fabric is now wearing out from being opened/shut.

My 2nd claim is going to be fixed under warranty but I've been waiting 5+ months now....for the $3000 I can't recommend the tent.

Whole story is documented here:

Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure

James Baroud tent failure? - Expedition Portal

I've been reading through both of your threads and have a couple of questions. First, why on God's green earth did you buy another JB tent - after basically being called a liar by them when you made your 1st claim? And their distibutors (Markimus & OK4WD) bragging that they have sold countless tents and never seen this before. For the price they're asking, a replacement should have been provided no questions asked, if it was still in one piece (without the imprint of a garage door frame or the like in the glass) during the warranty period. Also, why did you change from the clamshell design to the straight pop up? One thing is fairly obvious to me, and that is the extra $ JB is charging customers for their "Oh it's a premium product alright" (quote from Markimus from Expedition Portal thread) is definitely not worth it. Good luck with the tent fabric issue, I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction. As much as your tent is in use, it would be a big concern if it was mine. :cheers:

I've been reading through both of your threads and have a couple of questions. First, why on God's green earth did you buy another JB tent - after basically being called a liar by them when you made your 1st claim? And their distibutors (Markimus & OK4WD) bragging that they have sold countless tents and never seen this before. For the price they're asking, a replacement should have been provided no questions asked, if it was still in one piece (without the imprint of a garage door frame or the like in the glass) during the warranty period. Also, why did you change from the clamshell design to the straight pop up? One thing is fairly obvious to me, and that is the extra $ JB is charging customers for their "Oh it's a premium product alright" (quote from Markimus from Expedition Portal thread) is definitely not worth it. Good luck with the tent fabric issue, I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction. As much as your tent is in use, it would be a big concern if it was mine. :cheers:

The biggest reason I got another James Baroud tent is because I was able to get last years model for dealer cost...so it was the cheapest hardshell RTT I could prob get.

And it's a tough spot right now for hardshell pop ups...the only other real option is the Maggiolina and it has a strange crank method, the James Baroud is def a better design. So in comparison to that it's better BUT I do think their service stinks. It comes down to them not really being James Baroud itself...they don't have that deep connection and passion to the product in the same way if they created it they would. They are just the main dealer. I'm nervous about all the tents they are selling come 4+ years if folks start having issues.

Turns outs the straight pop up style has a lot more room and more comfy of a space just to be in. I can still sit up in it no prob and change clothes if I need to.

It's a weird spot for me because I use the tent all the time but I seriously question how it's gonna hold up. The newer versions of the tent has even better airflow and opening system....but I think their 5 year warranty is a big question mark.

Last edited:
The biggest reason I got another James Baroud tent is because I was able to get last years model for dealer cost...so it was the cheapest hardshell RTT I could prob get.

And it's a tough spot right now for hardshell pop ups...the only other real option is the Maggiolina and it has a strange crank method, the James Baroud is def a better design. So in comparison to that it's better BUT I do think their service stinks. It comes down to them not really being James Baroud itself...they don't have that deep connection and passion to the product in the same way if they created it they would. They are just the main dealer. I'm nervous about all the tents they are selling come 4+ years if folks start having issues.

Turns outs the straight pop up style has a lot more room and more comfy of a space just to be in. I can still sit up in it no prob and change clothes if I need to.

It's a weird spot for me because I use the tent all the time but I seriously question how it's gonna hold up. The newer versions of the tent has even better airflow and opening system....but I think their 5 year warranty is a big question mark.
I can't understand why you have any loyalty to them...you have tested 2 JB tents and they have both failed to come up to what you need in a RTT. OK, not major failures, but serious enough to shatter your confidence in the product. Your present tent, they are going to fix under warranty. Looks like they'll need to replace at least part of the tent fabric. Good luck with that for a field repair. They're going to gut your tent almost to the point of rebuilding it. Time wise it would be better to replace the tent. Better for them and better for you. Time, for them, is money so it would also be cheaper for them. And has the root of the fabric problem been fixed? In other words, how long before you see this again, with your usage in mind? If these ideas haven't come up in a conversation with them, I think you're in for some more disapointment.

I think you'll agree that comfort is one of the major concerns in choosing a RTT, but just as important is reliability and durability, especially when used everyday. Simplicity has it's beauty in this case. You can't get much simpler for a RTT than the original clamshell design. If you have good glass, good tent fabric and use care setting up and taking down, what can go wrong? The struts can be replaced and you could also carry a spare pair. My CVT even came with a telescoping pole to hold the tent open if needed.

Just food for thought. I'm sure you've pondered over these ideas before. Also, warranty and repairs for any RTT not built locally are going to be difficult, at best, and time consuming in any case. Yes we want a product that the manufacturer stands behind, but yours is a good example of reality. Best wishes for a good outcome, soon.

Last edited:
After reading through these posts, I have no idea which RTT to get. I'm leaning towards soft shell because I want to take my family of 4 camping and two of them won't camp in a ground tent because of Bears and Moose. Can't say I blame them, plus the tent gets really dirty sends its ground level. The Tempui,CVT tent looks like the best option. How easy are these things to dismount as it would only be used 3x a year at most.

I have a second hand Maggiolina. Took 2 yrs to find. New in Canada is just too much of a hassle.
I didn't like/still not used to the ladder idea. But it's amazing in comfort and use. Exactly 65 seconds to set
up. About 3 min to put away as its a bit of a deal tucking the material in. But at -15C in snow showers, it
was as easy as a hot summer day. Never got wet, and I camped in and drove in some real monsoon rain.
I have a 60 wagon, and won't leave home again without it. Highly recommend!

image.jpeg

After reading through these posts, I have no idea which RTT to get. I'm leaning towards soft shell because I want to take my family of 4 camping and two of them won't camp in a ground tent because of Bears and Moose. Can't say I blame them, plus the tent gets really dirty sends its ground level. The Tempui,CVT tent looks like the best option. How easy are these things to dismount as it would only be used 3x a year at most.
I can help you with a Tepui tent if you decide to go that route and can offer a 10% discount to forum members. The tents are pretty easy to get mounted/dismounted but it's helpful to have a second person there to help you lift it on or off the vehicle. There are brackets on the tent base that attach it to your roofrack. It takes just a few minutes to undo the bolts on those brackets and then the tent can be lifted off the vehicle. Should take no more than 10 min at most to either attach the tent to the vehicle or remove it from the vehicle, as long as you have someone to help you lift it.

You can also do a search for hoists. Some people have built or purchased a hoist system that it mounted to the ceiling of their garage that lifts the tent off the vehicle and stores the tent on the ceiling when it's not being used. This would be a convenient way of storing and mounting the tent.

You will have to get a soft shell if everyone is sleeping in the tent. Hard shells are smaller - 2 adults max - maybe 1 or 2 more if small children and you dont mind the close proximity all night. Then there's the middle of the night potty runs and I'll leave the rest to your imagination. There are plus sizes of hardshells with some manufacturers but, it's like going from a full size mattress to a queen size - not a whole lot of difference. You might consider a utility trailer with a soft shell RTT on it. I just got back from a Baja group run and 3 rigs had just that. 2 were CVT and the other was from Canada and can't remember the brand - but it was a famiiar brand. The soft shells set up nice with annex or change rooms which I highly recommend for a family. Wind is not a friend for these soft shells - at least the kind we had in Baja. Steady 20+ mph with higher gusts. But for summer camping in good weather, they are great. The utility trailers are awesome too, with all the kitchen perks you can imagine. Large water tanks and bocu storage with the ability to disco your rig and leave camp set up for sight seeing when camped for more than 1 night. You will want to get a solar charge setup to keep battery up when camped.

You will have to get a soft shell if everyone is sleeping in the tent. Hard shells are smaller - 2 adults max - maybe 1 or 2 more if small children and you dont mind the close proximity all night. Then there's the middle of the night potty runs and I'll leave the rest to your imagination. There are plus sizes of hardshells with some manufacturers but, it's like going from a full size mattress to a queen size - not a whole lot of difference. You might consider a utility trailer with a soft shell RTT on it. I just got back from a Baja group run and 3 rigs had just that. 2 were CVT and the other was from Canada and can't remember the brand - but it was a famiiar brand. The soft shells set up nice with annex or change rooms which I highly recommend for a family. Wind is not a friend for these soft shells - at least the kind we had in Baja. Steady 20+ mph with higher gusts. But for summer camping in good weather, they are great. The utility trailers are awesome too, with all the kitchen perks you can imagine. Large water tanks and bocu storage with the ability to disco your rig and leave camp set up for sight seeing when camped for more than 1 night. You will want to get a solar charge setup to keep battery up when camped.

Great advice, thank you! I have looked at Adventure trailers which seems to make a great option. Wind in the Rockies is always a concern but we have a lot of tree coverage which helps immensely. However, for those trips to Arizona and Moab area, trees can be a luxury. I will certainly upgrade my thoughts on getting a utility trailer for the reasons you mentioned which would make the family a bit more comfortable.

I can help you with a Tepui tent if you decide to go that route and can offer a 10% discount to forum members. The tents are pretty easy to get mounted/dismounted but it's helpful to have a second person there to help you lift it on or off the vehicle. There are brackets on the tent base that attach it to your roofrack. It takes just a few minutes to undo the bolts on those brackets and then the tent can be lifted off the vehicle. Should take no more than 10 min at most to either attach the tent to the vehicle or remove it from the vehicle, as long as you have someone to help you lift it.

You can also do a search for hoists. Some people have built or purchased a hoist system that it mounted to the ceiling of their garage that lifts the tent off the vehicle and stores the tent on the ceiling when it's not being used. This would be a convenient way of storing and mounting the tent.

Thanks for the info. I would certainly try and go the ceiling route without question for ease and convenience alone and wouldn't need two people I'm guessing. I will consider your welcomed discount into account in making my decision and contact you if I go that route. Thank you

FYI my XL RTT Which I think is about 90 x 90 when open never fit my family of 4 well. It was okay when the kids were really small, but not at all sufficient once they got any size.
imag0069-jpg.1069039

FYI my XL RTT Which I think is about 90 x 90 when open never fit my family of 4 well. It was okay when the kids were really small, but not at all sufficient once they got any size.
imag0069-jpg.1069039
That's an old school Mombasa/Car-Top-Tent. That was the first RTT I used.

It is a fairly large tent and to this day there are a couple things I still like about that design. The main one being the nearly vertical walls which make for a very spacious feeling interior. These are almost impossible to find anymore since they were discontinued and the "technology" and materials of newer RTTs have dramatically improved in the last few years so I think there are much better options out there.

The Tepui XL Ruggedized, and Gran Sabana has the same interior footprint as the old Mombasa which is about 6x8' when open. Like Mace said, the Mombasa could sleep 4 if the kids were small. I've had 4 adults in my XL Ruggedized and it was a bit snug but we fit pretty well. Truthfully, it's difficult to go too much bigger in the main tent portion without running into issues. However one of these tents along with an annex can work well for families. One of my tents is a Tepui Autana that includes an annex and it comfortably sleeps 2 in the upper area and another 2 comfortably in the annex. The Gran Sabana which also includes an annex can comfortably sleep 3-4 in the upper area and another 2-3 in the annex. So those could be options if you need to sleep more people.

Here's my Autana (on the truck without the annex attached) and the XL Ruggedized on the trailer, to give you an idea of size.

Same tent with the annex attached to the Autana

The Gran Sabana is the same design as the Autana, just larger.

Use caution around Adventure Trailers. Excellent customer service and great people but the cost is way too much. You can get better deals elsewhere. Nothing against Mario .

I absolutely love my Tepui. I actually won mine as a raffle prize and have spent a ton of nights in it. My kids love it as well as my wife. I can't wait to get another one to put on an offroad trailer sometime soon. That would be sweet!

Quality is great and I just added the winter hood and have spent two nights in single digit temperature no problem.

Great times!

12651376_928317867619_8078998108137797669_n.jpg

You take the mattress out and the tent is surprisingly light.

Another benefit with a soft shell RTT is you can always add the lower annex which can sleep two more I'm told. Or just put two chairs and a small table to get out of the rain without having to sit up in the somewhat cramped tent.

op-1_2_5.jpg

I will definitely do one with an annex for the kids and I'll like the table and chairs idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom