What are you building now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
Figured I would get something started in this thread, looks to be done in most of the other threads.

I'm in the middle of a frame of rebuild of my 1974 FJ40. Full rebuild of the old powerhouse mighty 2F! Now I am at the body work stage of the project.

Not to mention all the little things that life throws at us, now I need to rake a couple tons of gravel from my neighbors yard that was tossed there from a rather large snowblower!

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a new hub assembly. Had a drivers side bearing go out. Found a guy that does pre-pressed hub assemblies. This should make the swap much easier.

Also collecting parts to go to a LT rear setup. Really looking forward to seeing the results there.

Right now I am chasing a ground fault. Basically, it's causing my brake lights to glow whenever the headlights are on, and my parking and dashlights to light up every time I depress the brakes.

In my mind, I am planning my next build, which will be either a Shelby Cobra or Early Porsche replica. Also ruminating over an Allard J2X replica. I need something that has the potential to kill me just to feel alive anymore.

I need something that has the potential to kill me just to feel alive anymore.

I had that same problem when I first got out, the fire has eventually burned down to coals. I was thinking to myself a couple days ago that I don't even feel "alive" anymore, feel more like oh well here we go again, same ole s***, day after day.

Some days I feel like going out and getting in an old fashioned gun fight with a bunch of gangbangers just for some excitement!

Same here but let me say that it sucks when you hit the wall. Took a KX 250 off of a 20' embankment about 10 years ago and it hurts to this day. I needed the boost and would push harder every weekend. One weekend I burnt all 9 lives in one wreck.
This is (was) a Thor racing helmet. It saved my life. Hard to tell from the pic but it's split all the way back along the side.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454557572.269520.jpg

Watch yourselves

I am stuck.... I have been working on a new soft top for over a month... it does not help to have kids.... wife... house.... job.... and responsibilities let alone be in the winter.... note to self... start the next one during the summer :)

I just want to finish it off LOL

15 min here and there has taken its toll on the quality on this one... still a good looking top so far... just need to get the top section cut and fitted so side will get mated after

36" of snow puts a serious damper on most projects, I am waiting on the shop to blast my tub before I can get to cutting out the cancer, still need to finish up some little things on the frame and engine.

JohnnyC, lets see some pics from that top!

Don't give up bud. Family, and responsibilities out weigh a fun hobby such as ours. The reward of cruising around is our goal. Due to other commitments I have not had a chance to do much of anything to ours either. Still in a bunch of pieces and trying to sand and prime parts as I get a chance. It is very relaxing and soothes my mind to work on it as time permits. I recommend it to anyone who gets stressed out and needs a great hobby. Besides, it is a great excuse to buy neat tools.

As majority stockholder and president, I finally called a board meeting and we hired a president for the company to relieve me of the administrative BS...He is an attorney with excellent skills. We have 27 full time employees and are in the middle of a nine million dollar building project. And I came out of retirement to start this company four years ago to help my son, a disabled Iraqi vet. So far, so good. My wife, the Boss, is finally on board although it has interrupted our travel schedule which was our retirement hobby, new 2015 GMC 3500 crew cab diesel and DRV Mobile Suites fifth wheel. Have spent about three months and 6,500 miles in it so far.

Last edited:
Good for you, Roger!!

Sounds like you are on the way to the great outdoors before long. With the proper technology onboard, you can do everything from just about anywhere.

You probably already know what you need, if you don't... this couple has travelled for years (first with a 17' Oliver travel trailer, now with a restored classic coach) ... check their "Our Technology" link Technomadia – Technology Enabled Nomads / Full Time RVing & Working on the Road

I'm currently working on not doing too much until mid-March, after I've recovered from both cataract surgeries.

Sure is boring though...

BTW: All y'all with kids (of any age) at home... I'm here to tell you... you will be shocked at how empty the house is when they've moved on... Dogs, now... they are quite fun... they never move on... but, their lifespan is much too short!!

Hang in there Johnny, one day you will have plenty of free time!!

I was curious about the weather where you are, a quick Google search tells me there's a Lewistown in Idaho, Montana, and Pennsylvania. Hmmm.

He is up in PA if I remember correctly. It has been unseasonably cold around here for the last week, slowed my build a little. I don't have a heated shop!

Yep, I'm in PA. It's been fairly chilly lately with wind chills below zero. My garage isn't heated either but my brother in law was gracious enough to left me use his. Otherwise the parts would still be sitting in the box.

Yeah, the last three letters on his license plate gave that away.

We're lucky with the weather we have here, I can work on my rig most of the year.

@Chungas Revenge

No ... Only had enough for one $$$... And a tool roll and winch cover and a few other odd and ends :)

I wouldnt feel comfortable to make a top without the truck to fit to... A buddy has one that has decent bows to fit a top to and I'll probably make him one ... But... My bows are tweeted since the roll over and the whole center bow pipe is from scratch

Actually it's a solid stock bar :)

At some point (after retirement ) I will go hog wild with canvas dripping from the ceiling lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom