LX450 -Runs great, needs more power, recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Georg at Valley Hybrids has done a lot of great work on my 97 LX450 with 100,000 miles on it. I'm cruising on 35 inch Toyo mts and stock gears.

Just came up to Tahoe this weekend and it's beyond a dog up here, like slower than a moped practically. I'm going to have Georg do the gears, I've upgraded the exhaust which I know is minimal. I'm now interested in getting a little more power out of a turbo with just 5-8 lbs of boost to keep it simple or possibly doing a swap which I'd rather avoid. This motor runs great and has a lot of life left. I'd also like to maintain the overall vibe of the car. I've read many posts about turbos on these. I understand this is an OBDI vehicle. Is it realistic that this can be turboed for around $5000 parts and labor? Gain of 50-75hp without getting into tuning issues? I feel like the right gears, a head and intake that could breathe a little better, maybe a tad more fuel and the right intercooled turbo would be the ticket.

I don't care about it being fast, I have other cars for that. I want great off-roadability, great driveability, reliability, uniqueness, the sound of a straight piped turbo and a motor that doesn't struggle as much.

What do you guys think?

Hmm. I thought it might be OBDII. I didn't see a port inside. I'll have to look a little closer. I've read that OBDII would be much better.

96 was mandated obii and my 95 had it also......The gears are going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. To me off road rigs and turbos don't vibe together at all. Jmo

Obd11 port is in your Inside fuse box. ^^ agree about the Turbo RPM Is to low unless your desert racing. I'm sure there are exceptions but JMHO. Gears would most likely make you happier, 4.56 would be close for your speedometer. 4.88 would put you at 55 when really going 50 running 35s. Good Luck.! :)

Last edited:
The fact that you didn't know it was OBD II tells me you probably don't have a lot of experience working with or on these vehicles, which is completely fine. It also tells me you should probably stick with the most simple of solutions. Let George do the gears for you then see how it performs. After that, if you still want more power order yourself a Supercharger from Magnusson, its under your $5k budget, and let George install that.

Do the gears then take a patience pill and embrace the "turtle" not the "hare" reputation that has made the Landcruiser the most reliable, durable, longest lasting mass produced vehicle in history. Adding power reduces something else but adding patience gains you some virtue. My .02.

Last edited:
Obd11 port is in your Inside fuse box. ^^ agree about the Turbo RPM Is to low unless your desert racing. I'm sure there are exceptions but JMHO. Gears would most likely make you happier, 4.56 would be close for your speedometer. 4.88 would put you at 55 when really going 50 running 35s. Good Luck.! :)

When you're in Lo the RPM goes up, right up where the turbo likes it.

This is a good thread to watch, again.

:popcorn:

The easiest thing to do is adjust your expectations and use second gear more.

This. Travelling around in Colorado things go very slow when we're loaded down so you just deal with. But before too long I'll be dealing with it with this.

LQ4 & 4L80

6TbDFqq.png

97 is an Obd2 car. Did you use your PWR button? I have a 97 lx450 and you need to use the PWR to get over most hills and inclines.

I don't know why a hot day would make any difference in this case.
The engine runs hotter than the outside temperature anyway.

When you're in Lo the RPM goes up, right up where the turbo likes it.

This is a good thread to watch, again.

:popcorn:
The diesels have this dialed In from the factory and there great. Getting your engine up to spec for a Turbo, buying turbo and parts, management system, cooling system upgrades, and more. For the average off roader on this site IMHO Its to expensive and a mistake. For most It will be a can of :worms:. :)

Wow. I can't believe a dude comes on this site and wants more power and everyone tries to talk him out of it.

If it's what you want, Boost that sucka! If you post pretty pics like Ryan I guess they don't question you; none has tried to deter his builds.

Can light boost be done for 5k?
Sure. The supercharger gets you the power you want for that price. Also a turbo setup could be completed for around that mark but probably not the setup you describe with head ,intake, fuel management, inter cooler. All that adds up fast.

I'm with ToothDr. If you don't offroad this vehicle much, why not consider a 100 series. I've seen those things going for cheap these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom