Thoughts on a 2004 with 250K miles... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lange

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking to buy another 100 for my two daughters who are just starting to drive. I cannot think of a safer vehicle for my daughters and their passengers to be in.

I have a 2000 with 190,000 miles, so I am very familiar with the vehicle up to this many miles, but I would like to get opinions on buying a higher mileage vehicle.

Initially I was looking for a lower mileage vehicle, but a high mileage cream puff became available. I am currently looking at a 2004 that has been used as a grocery getter. It has 250K miles, but you would never know it by looking at the interior or exterior. Looks more like a 100K vehicle. The maintenance records are the most complete that I have ever seen. Nothing abnormal at all, just all of the recommended maintenance done at the local Toyota dealer, including the timing belts at 90K and 180K. Literally every recommended item was done at the proper time.

I was hoping to be able to keep this vehicle for another 10 years and put on another 150K miles on it. I am very diligent and do not mind spending the money to keep my vehicles properly maintained. Taking into consideration how well this vehicle has been and will be maintained is it fair to expect to get 400 to 500K out of this vehicle without having to replace the engine and transmission?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

edited to add - FWIW, my budget is somewhere in the $15K range. I could get the mentioned truck for around $13K. For my situation, would I be better off with the exceptionally clean high mileage 2004 or a nice 2000-02 with 150K miles in the same price range?

Last edited:
The best way to determine that is to look at autotrader for all trucks in the country and sort by high miles. I have seen many trucks with 350-400k on them, so that is certainly attainable. 500k? Haven't seen one of those but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I'd say you could get 100-150k on that truck before something happens. At least for the engine. Tranny? I doubt you can go that many miles without a rebuild /replacement. There have been tranny problems on certain years- 2000, 2003-2004 MY.

Based on your description of the history, condition, and intended use, I'd say get that '04 and never look back. My bet is on it going 400,000 miles if you take care of it and use it for family use. My only caveat is to check on insurance costs for a LC with teenagers as drivers. It may be obscenely high!

I'm just wondering about price.

I'm looking at a '99 w/rear locker. 234k miles. OG owner. $6500.

I would go for it if the truck could be had for $4500 or so. Then spend more $$$$$ to baseline and stuff.

Doesn't sound like money is an issue for you.

I say go for it!!!!

I'm sure you'll keep us posted and updated and eventually post on "highest mileage" thread when it hits 500k miles!!!:):flipoff2::p

If it'll be driven by 2 teenage girls, I wouldn't expect it to last that long. Also, there are plenty of safer cars in that price range. That said, get it.;)

If I were in your shoes and trying to decide between a lower-mileage 2000 and a higher-mileage 2004 for my teenagers, there's no question I'd go with the 2004....and for one major reason: I'd want my teenagers in the safer vehicle, and the 2004 had MANY safety upgrades, mainly the addition of side and curtain air bags.

As for mileage, we all know there is a service life on all mechanical components, but with the documented history of SO many 100 series Land Cruisers going 300-500k miles, I agree with some of the earlier posts that predict 100K+ more miles on the 2004 without major issues........and this is coming from a guy who regularly drives an '00 with 306K miles on the original engine and transmission....

Post your high-mileage 100-series!!!

I appreciate all of the comments. Good point about the air bags - I never really though about those since my 2000 does not have them.

I am certainly open to any other comments.

I'm with dnp, get the safer, more airbagged 2004, keep in mind the sticky above regarding airbags.

I just bought a 2004 LX470 with 222,000 miles from original owner. Obsessive is an understatement on her vehicle history report. Literally, EVERYTHING (including bulbs, wipers, oil changes) was done at the dealer on schedule. The timing belt has already been done 3 times, so when I took it for the token test drive, it was a no brainer. My 16 year old "stole" my FJ40 when he turned 16, and now 4 months later, he loves the new one more. I feel safer with him in the 2004 over the tin-can '77 anyways. Since I have the FJ40 as a historical vehicle, the insurance for the 2004 is only $600 full-coverage since I am listed as the primary driver.

At 250k miles- I think the ask price ($13k?) you mentioned is high (by $3k or $4k). You can find 04's-05's with under 150k mi in your target $15k price range. Just keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom