Quick question. About timeing chain replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
OK getig ready to do my head gasket on my 22re . first question if I didn't have anything wrong with my timeing chain to begin with should I replace it? Should I just buy the metal replacement guides? If I am replaceing the chain do I have to buy the gears or should it be OK to just buy the chain? Do the chains useualy go bad ? Or is it the tensioner?

Final question does oil pan need to come off to change the chain

The oil pan only needs pulled if you believe there are parts of the plastic guide in it. As for the chain when was the last time it was done? If it has never been done just redo the whole thing with a kit from someone like engnbldr or another quality kit.

A lot of people don’t pull the pan. Personally, I prefer to pull it to make sure everything seals up properly again.

Inspect the chain and gears. As things wear, the gears and chain get “sharp” as the edges wear thin. Depending on mileage and condition, I’d replace everything while I was in there.

I didn't replace my gears when I had mine apart the last time, they looked perfect. I did get a new OEM chain and tensioner. There is a test in the FSM that shows how to check the wear on the chain to help you decide if it should be replaced. I would only use OEM gaskets, they are worth the extra cost. The engnbldr gaskets are crap (IMO), they don't fit right. Both times I used his metal guide it hit the timing cover, I had to do some grinding on the cover.

Metal guides are definitely a good idea, since you'll have the front of the engine off anyway. DOA makes the best ones.

Timing Chain Guides | D.O.A. Racing Engines - Toyota Racing Engines

Honestly, if I ever have to do another head gasket, I'll just pull the engine out. It's not hard, and it's sooo much easier to work on it on the stand. Good luck dropping the pan with all that IFS stuff in the way.

Did I miss what year this truck is? Is it IFS? If so I agree with pulling the motor. With the motor out you could possibly catch another issue to fix. As far as the chain, your in there, why not replace it. Inspect the gears, chains go first, but again... Your already in there. Same thought with the oil pan. I would replace it's gasket. Also much easier for timing cover removal/install. The price of peace of mind is usually worth it.

He's a regular here, and it's in his sig line ('86 4Runner) which ya you can't see if you're on mobile.

There is no gasket on the oil pan after 8/84. FIPG only.

Thanks klf I'm gonna end up just buying the timeing chain kit. Head bolts. Plugs wires ditributar cap exc if the pistons aren't hurt I think it gonna run better then it never has for me. Truck sat almost ten years when I bought it fuel system was messed up after sitting. I got the fuel rail pressure reg exhuast manifold lower intake and stuff on a head with 15 k miles for 100 bucks and a head gasket kit. Missing timeing chain gasket . I haven't taken alot of heads off but looks like alot of carbon on bottom of head but reast is shiney . motor it was on snaped connecting rod. Head has no marks on it so should be good . and yeah its a 86 4runner 22 re use to be a auto now a 5 speed. 4.33 gears. 32 11/50 15s on it

20131214_123136.jpg

That was before I stuck it in a ditch last winter.

I've never understood why people buy new head bolts for these engines. They're not TTY (Torque-to-yield), so they are reusable, I've done it many times.

Or you could go overboard like I did and get ARP studs. :bounce::bounce2:

If mine come out and look good I will reuse them if they look messed up I will have the new ones can always return to napa

Does anyone got a link to a good thread on head gasket replacement with tourqe specs and such

I have used new head bolts and re-used old ones. No problem from either. I have broken an aftermarket chain. If you lift off the head and two intakes like KLF does, it is good to have a helper or crane. It is a fairly cumbersome animal. There are crush gaskets between the exhaust mani and the front pipe. they should be cheap aftermarket and are not expensive from Toyota either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom