BJ oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wondering if anyone knows if a 3B oil pan will fit/work with a B engine?

Hi Miles

If the B and 3B BOTH fit into the same one of these build periods then they share the same part number so therefore should be the same:
12101-59145 (subs 59146) - Aug 80 to Aug 84
12101-56060 - Aug 84 to Oct 84

But I'm guessing you're wondering about a pre August 80 B versus a post Aug 1980 3B

My sump/pan on my July 1979 B is 12101-59055 (subs 59056)

So .... based on the wildly different part numbers - I doubt they will be compatible....

:beer:

Hi Miles

If the B and 3B BOTH fit into the same one of these build periods then they share the same part number so therefore should be the same:
12101-59145 (subs 59146) - Aug 80 to Aug 84
12101-56060 - Aug 84 to Oct 84

But I'm guessing you're wondering about a pre August 80 B versus a post Aug 1980 3B

My sump/pan on my July 1979 B is 12101-59055 (subs 59056)

So .... based on the wildly different part numbers - I doubt they will be compatible....

Thank you very much for the information. How might I figure out the production date of my BJ40 including the engine production date?
My confusion is based on the oil pan gasket for my year BJ at Specter Off-Road is listed to work with B and B3 engines. It would seem the bolt holes would have to be the same for that to be true.
Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for the information. How might I figure out the production date of my BJ40 including the engine production date?
My confusion is based on the oil pan gasket for my year BJ at Specter Off-Road is listed to work with B and B3 engines. It would seem the bolt holes would have to be the same for that to be true.
Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

I understand the laws in some countries force build dates to be stamped onto vehicle identification plates but I guess you're like me (here in New Zealand) where that didn't apply.

With later-model 40-series the best alternative way is to enter your VIN onto the Toyota database as see what it spews out.

So with my chassis number of 038478 I enter BJ40-0038478 (with no spaces) and low and behold it comes up with "July 1979".

I can't remember the year where this method starts to work but I think it may be 1978.

There are other ways to give you a rough guide..

For instance all my wheels have a build date of August 1979:
BuildDateWheel.jpg

And my engine has a compliance plate dated July 1979:
BuildDateEngine.jpg

And I had another compliance plate (that I've since removed) that was dated Sept 1979:

CompliancePlate.jpg

Another way to try and accurately pinpoint your build date is to compare your chassis number or engine number with those of other BJ40s whose build-date is known (and there is a thread running specifically for this purpose).

B-series & H-series landcruiser Engine-Serial-Number/VIN-Number thread

As for the sump gasket, mine is 12151-56020 subs 56021 and I can only see information that it fits B and 2B "pre-August 1980" engines.

:meh:

Have you got a link for that SOR gasket?

(But I doubt there'll be any discrepancy with what I've already said .. in that if the B and 3B engines both fit into the same build-date categories I mentioned then the sumps appear to be interchangeable.)

Last edited:
SOR part number is 034-150E for the oil pan gasket.
Thank you for the information. My cruiser is from Portugal and history is sketchy.
Would you have the address of the toyota website for looking up production dates? Or is just the Toyota website that pops up?

Thanks again.

SOR part number is 034-150E for the oil pan gasket.
Thank you for the information. My cruiser is from Portugal and history is sketchy.
Would you have the address of the toyota website for looking up production dates? Or is just the Toyota website that pops up?

Thanks again.

ToyoDIY.com

Thanks again. Able to find out build date of 1/80. Wondering what your take is on the oil pan gasket on SOR that fits both B and B3 engines? Can get an oil pan from Japan but the cost is prohibitive at $700.00. Any other options for a new oil pan?

Thanks. I need a pan for a B engine. I found one for a 3B but it is sounding like it will not fit due to baffle issues. But I will put the request for a B pan in classifieds.

Thanks again. Able to find out build date of 1/80. Wondering what your take is on the oil pan gasket on SOR that fits both B and B3 engines? Can get an oil pan from Japan but the cost is prohibitive at $700.00. Any other options for a new oil pan?

As I already said, the EPC shows that oil pan 12101-59145 (for instance) will fit any 2977cc B engine made Aug 1980 till Aug 1984 and will also fit any 3431cc 3B made in the same period.

So SOR saying that the same gasket fits both engines is probably limited to "both engines having been made during the same period".

Your BJ40 having a build date of Jan 1980 means it pre-dates all 3B engines. So how your oil pan differs from 12101-59145 is anyone's guess.

If you can find someone selling a 3B sump who is handy with a camera and tape measure, then surely it can't be too hard to work out whether it'll fit your B engine. If the layout of the internal baffles is the only difference then they can be cut, bent or modified...

Even here (where there must be a quite few unwanted pre-Aug1980 B-engines lying around) I'm sure it would take me time and effort to track down a sump. But it should still be easier than finding a 3B sump because the 3B engine has always been more highly valued than the B.

Good luck.

I've got a dead b in my garage, but not sure what the build date is. Where do you find that on the engine? I'm pretty sure I use the one from it on a 3b, but not sure if it works the other way. I'll check tomorrow.

11411-56020 is the serial on my b engine Tom. My 3b oil pan bolted right up and all the gasket surfaces matched. Exact fit.
Cheers
g

Well this sounds like the confirmation you need Miles.

The block on my 1979 B-engine is also 56020 (and the same with my spare B-engine which is earlier still .. probably a 1978).

So why Toyota completely changed the pan/sump part number (from my 12101-59055 to 12101-59145) from August 1980 when it started producing the 3B is a bit of a mystery to me.

Usually a major number change like that means the two parts are incompatible but it looks like I was wrong to assume this incompatibility here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom