New Guy...Vehicle Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oldnsalty

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey Guys!

New here. Been looking around the forums the last week or more, really like what I read and see. I just recently sold my '05 F-250 Diesel on 37's and am in the market for a great reliable vehicle. My folks are consistent Suburban and Land Cruiser folk, along with (2) 2nd Gen. 4Runners. I have owned an '07 4Runner (bought new), '06 Tundra Crew Cab and now '05 F-250. You can say I'm kinda all over the place. I am trying to narrow down what I would like next. Pickups are out so SUVs are the choice. I am considering Tahoes, Sequoias, LX470s and possibly Land Cruisers. My daily work commute is 8 miles round trip. I drive 2.5 hrs. south to another home where I spend time driving on the beach fishing and whatnot. I may start snowboarding again so trips to the mountains are being considered but it mainly will be my daily driver, driven around town. Just some background on what I plan to use it for. Anyone here have some spare time sitting around and wants to reply, it would be great. I am also looking to modify this vehicle as well. Lift, bigger tires (33's or 35's) and wheels , etc. Best solutions with that in mind. Any help is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great community life on here!

Clint

Well, I've owned all of the vehicles you mentioned above (with the exception of a 4Runner), and they all have their strong/weak points. A lot of your decision depends on the size vehicle you want. I currently have an 80, a 100, and a GX470, and I just sold a 4wd Sequoia.

The 100 feels most heavy duty, the 80 feels the most rugged, the Sequoia had the most room and had part-time 4wd, but at this moment in time, I'm liking the all-around package of the GX the best. Size, safety equipment, and electronic off-road aids are all great, and there's absolutely no comparison with the others in terms of ride quality and quietness. Truly, the GX is the best for overall comfort, both on and off road.

Granted, we could discuss for hours the merits of all of the vehicles you mentioned, but as for a total package, the GX470 is awfully hard to beat!

DNP,

Thanks a ton for your input. I really appreciate it. Regarding size, I did not like how the 4runner's back seat was so small, so I am definitely shooting for bigger than that. I feel a Toyota or Lexus will hold up longer and be more reliable than an "American" named company in the long run, in my own opinion. Do you have any suggestions on year and mileage to look for? Regarding the LX470 and Sequoia, I've been looking around 2005-2066 with 100-120k mileage price range. I know with the price of the vehicle then proper modifications, I will hopefully be within my budget or a little lower. The land cruiser I really like the older look, pre-1998. Just wondering if it would be better to purchase a newer vehicle than older for a longer haul. I would like to keep my next purchase for quite some time as well.

I purchase a GX470 a few months ago and have really enjoyed the experience so far. As for room, the GX is the same size as the same generation 4 runner. Main difference in seating is that the rear seat is not on the floor as it is in the 4R. It also comes with 3rd row seating although they are only good for small children or an extra seat in a pinch for an adult for a short ride. There is also much better head room because it is taller. So if you need more room then I would go with a Sequoia. The GX I think is a great overall value because you get the nice on road manners and you can modify it for extreme off road use.

Poudre,

Thanks for your reply. I am leaning towards a GX if my budget works out between the vehicle and aftermarket modifications I would like done. I believe it will have the room I am looking for. The back seat has always been my main issue with the 4runners. I think with a more open back seat in the GX I would be good to go.

What have you budgeted for suspension to functionally fit 35's? My closest guess would be $5,000-$7,000 including the mods to the body. Probably want to add gears into the budget, and might as well do an ARB Air Locker while you are at it. Going to be a wicked GX when you are done. Make sure and post pics.

Toyota,

I'm looking at a Black 2006 tomorrow in town with 142k mi and consistent service records including timing belt and water pump @ 97k. I am also watching a Black 2004 with 125k about 2 hrs from me and a Silver 2006 with 111k on Ebay through the weekend. Budget wise where do you think I would be looking at 3" with 33s (suspension front and back, no spacers)?

Wingy,

Thanks so much for that link. It was a great help. Congrats on your newer purchase. I'm hoping I stick with the GX and find a good one within my means. I could stand a tiny bit of time stock but really wanting the mods right away. Do you have photos of your ride? I did not see any.

I was searching for a 100 series and got tired of looking and ended up with a GX. And now two years later I'm looking again for a 100 series or Sequoia. I never really took to the GX. Frankly, after deciding to "settle" on something other than a 100 series, I wish I had gotten a 4Runner or Sequoia.

I like the power of the 2005+ GX. It is a hotrod of an SUV. I hate the air suspension - it's expensive and finicky (some high end Sequoias have the same setup). Not really an issue though if you are going to mod your car and replace with coils anyway. Even when working well, I can't say that I am that impressed with how the car rides.

I also hate the integrated radio/nav/HVAC. I haven't had any failures with it, but you can't swap it out and it is a bit of a pain to add an aux input or IPOD controller. (Many 100 series have the same setup however.). My biggest pet peeve is that damn swingout rear door. The 4Runner design is so good and for whatever reason, Lexus decided to go with a swingout door. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but I really hate it.

Now in truth, some of those things probably aren't that big of a deal. But when you get a car that wasn't your first choice, I guess you get a little picky. That, and the 100 series is a hard act to follow.

I will say after having driven several 2005+ Sequoias in my hunt for a new car, I have been really impressed with them and like the room they offer.

I'm not sure where you are at in VA, but I'm about 20 miles west of DC. I'm hoping to trade the car in, but could also sell it if your interested. (2005, 129K, and would probably be willing to do 12K in a Mud deal). PM me if you want more details or if you just want to check one out.

I thought I would not like the swing out door but I found I prefer it now. I find it easy to use and a great place to mount a table and still have nice access to the back. I did like the tailgate on my 80 though. I don't have the nav and glad I held out for non-nav. I thought about a Sequoia too. Let us know how you like it if end up in one.

Gx is not for everybody but I love mine! I have 3 kids and can fit all 3 in the middle row in car seats. Power is awesome. MPG is great. Smooth, quiet, fun, very comfortable.

Once you test drive them all in one day you will make the right choice. Make sure you take your family.

Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your input and recommendations. I cannot decide to save my life. On another note, I know all areas of the country are different but as far as buying a stock vehicle, can anyone give any insight as to cost of lift installation. Of course I can total up all parts but have no clue what most people are charging for lifting a more luxury vehicle. I unfortunately do not have the means of installing myself. Thanks once again.

Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your input and recommendations. I cannot decide to save my life. On another note, I know all areas of the country are different but as far as buying a stock vehicle, can anyone give any insight as to cost of lift installation. Of course I can total up all parts but have no clue what most people are charging for lifting a more luxury vehicle. I unfortunately do not have the means of installing myself. Thanks once again.
I would budget $2000 - $2500 for a lift and install. A lot will depend on which vehicle you purchase and the price of the lift components you choose to use, but I would count on most shops charging 6-8 hours labor to do it. Should it take that long? No, but they always seem to find a way to stretch it out. A mechanic friend and I installed a Toytec lift with upper control arm replacement on my GX in a little over 4 hours, so it can certainly be done in less time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom