CUSTOM BUMPERS FOR SALE (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few questions have rolled in on the 80 rear structure.

Main base shell 1/4" (.250")
Quarter wings will be 10ga (.141")
Frame brackets 1/4" (.250")
Recovery point 1/2" (.500") welded to the frame bracket with a 1-3/8" DOM shackle sleeve
Quart wing to frame legs 1/4" (.250")
All internal braces and stiffners 1/4" (.250")

Swing arms are 3"x 2" x 3/16" (.188")
1.5" CR spindle shaft
DOM hubs with oil impregnated brz bushings (extended length bushings)

Thanks all,

Jason

To answer the question...

regular vs. the extended brz bushing I use.

J

SAM_0252.JPG

Hell yeah!!

Hell yeah!!

Well, that's what I got brother..... Hope you liked it... Now to see if everything will go into production... :lol:

I got a heavy order last night and the 100 series R&D sliders and rack items are starting to ship from my supplier.

Need some input on the 80 armor... I need to put in an order for about 5 or each version to make it worth while after talking with them today.

If anyone is interested, please post up and let me know.

Jason

Any plans for some DOM rear quarter protection?

Any plans for some DOM rear quarter protection?

More specific? DOM merely means "drawn over mandrel". It doesn't necessarily mean a superior metallurgy. Bending DOM steel should be done
with SRA ( stress relieved and annealed ) non annealed can split in the bending process due to the hardening that occurs in the drawing process.
The strength of DOM varies greatly by the country in which it's produced. Companies like EM Jorgenson carry US, Canadian and European DOM while
companies like Tube Service primarily carry DOM from India and China. i would rather use American HREW than Chinese or Indian produced DOM.\
Secondly, welding a 90,000 psi material to a 65,000 psi base still leaves you with a 65,000 psi fail point

More specific? DOM merely means "drawn over mandrel". It doesn't necessarily mean a superior metallurgy. Bending DOM steel should be done
with SRA ( stress relieved and annealed ) non annealed can split in the bending process due to the hardening that occurs in the drawing process.
The strength of DOM varies greatly by the country in which it's produced. Companies like EM Jorgenson carry US, Canadian and European DOM while
companies like Tube Service primarily carry DOM from India and China. i would rather use American HREW than Chinese or Indian produced DOM.\
Secondly, welding a 90,000 psi material to a 65,000 psi base still leaves you with a 65,000 psi fail point

I think he's referring to quarter sliders rails.

People need to understand that DOM is "harder" on a Brinell scale. It is a cold drawn process and this gives excellent dimensional and finish parameters above HREW. DOM is a seamed material, most I've encountered over the years think it is seamless and therefore superior.

DOM has a much higher Carbon content in its metallurgy make-up making it harder to begin with. The harder a material the more brittle it becomes after welding or a machining process and simply by aging.

HREW is 1010 and DOM is 1020.

I used to get MTRs with all my steel and tube orders (just a habit from my oilfield/energy CWI and NDT Level II days) so I could look at the breakdown of the elements and percentages. No matter if the steel/tube was foreign or domestic they were all within .03% of each other on carbon and acceptable by all engineering codes and standards ON PAPER. But, IMO, that's a whole other ball of wax. ASTM, ANSI, ASME, API, etc... etc... allow mills and fabrication facilities to run on "blanket" inspection and metallurgical material data.

Take an air compressor tank. It has an ASME "U" or "UM" stamp for it (pressure vessel). It was built and accepted by previous construction and testing data. This means that a "blanket" approval for a "batch" of tanks can be run before another inspection has to be performed and materials tested. Compressor tanks usually run on a 2000-5000 piece blanket (some insurance AI's allow for years to pass instead of quantities regulated. Bigger mfg's piece numbers can easily double or triple without inspection) Therefore, a blanket MTR (material test report) for construction materials and a blanket inspection release = A product produced in a rapid environment, with limited or selective to NO quality control and constant changing blanket materials--- Watch your A$$.

Sorry, off soap box now...

J

A couple of things for all that have contacted me on the 80 bumpers. The ones I am building now are for R&D and are not available for sale. These will get cut apart and dimensioned for CAD and laser cutting. These are simply visual displays at this time. "Concept" if you will.

Best case scenario will be mid/end-March on release. Pending my CAD and laser cutter lead times.

Release will include:

Front bumper - with and without flares
Rear bumper- with and without flares
Late model (95-97) sliders with and without CAT skid

Out of the shop today for accounting, insurance and website duties.

Thanks,

Jason

I think he's referring to quarter sliders rails.

People need to understand that DOM is "harder" on a Brinell scale. It is a cold drawn process and this gives excellent dimensional and finish parameters above HREW. DOM is a seamed material, most I've encountered over the years think it is seamless and therefore superior.

DOM has a much higher Carbon content in its metallurgy make-up making it harder to begin with. The harder a material the more brittle it becomes after welding or a machining process and simply by aging.

HREW is 1010 and DOM is 1020.

I used to get MTRs with all my steel and tube orders (just a habit from my oilfield/energy CWI and NDT Level II days) so I could look at the breakdown of the elements and percentages. No matter if the steel/tube was foreign or domestic they were all within .03% of each other on carbon and acceptable by all engineering codes and standards ON PAPER. But, IMO, that's a whole other ball of wax. ASTM, ANSI, ASME, API, etc... etc... allow mills and fabrication facilities to run on "blanket" inspection and metallurgical material data.

Take an air compressor tank. It has an ASME "U" or "UM" stamp for it (pressure vessel). It was built and accepted by previous construction and testing data. This means that a "blanket" approval for a "batch" of tanks can be run before another inspection has to be performed and materials tested. Compressor tanks usually run on a 2000-5000 piece blanket (some insurance AI's allow for years to pass instead of quantities regulated. Bigger mfg's piece numbers can easily double or triple without inspection) Therefore, a blanket MTR (material test report) for construction materials and a blanket inspection release = A product produced in a rapid environment, with limited or selective to NO quality control and constant changing blanket materials--- Watch your A$$.

Sorry, off soap box now...

J

It's not a soap box when it enlightens. This is all true. China and India know how to follow the manufacturing standards but without oversight, and demands by the customer, either explicit
or implied, the product is cheapened in easiest way.
I know a vendor who was building wheel spacers in house , here in the USA, with a specific
aluminum grade. He was wooed by a Chinese company to have them manufacture since they were already manufacturing similar wheel spacers of that same material ( sourced in China ).
He flew over to tour the plant. While walking past one of the cnc mills running a spacer body it slammed to a stop. The new machinery stops instantly when an issue is detected. A worker went to the machine , pulled the part and tossed it to a pile of discards. Being curios as to what happened,
he went over and picked up the discarded part and inspected it. The machine had stopped because
it hit a piece of chicken wire that was cast into the aluminum.
Technically their aluminum has the same ratings as does their DOM but like you say which piece gets tested vs which gets sold.
I know I used to build some shackle pins you're familiar with. I used only ETD150 from Lasalle,
140,00 PSI steel. When Karson hijacked them and sent it ti India the material went down the tubes.
I doubt it's 40,000 psi now, but they can build them for 1/3 the price.

It's not a soap box when it enlightens. This is all true. China and India know how to follow the manufacturing standards but without oversight, and demands by the customer, either explicit
or implied, the product is cheapened in easiest way.
I know a vendor who was building wheel spacers in house , here in the USA, with a specific
aluminum grade. He was wooed by a Chinese company to have them manufacture since they were already manufacturing similar wheel spacers of that same material ( sourced in China ).
He flew over to tour the plant. While walking past one of the cnc mills running a spacer body it slammed to a stop. The new machinery stops instantly when an issue is detected. A worker went to the machine , pulled the part and tossed it to a pile of discards. Being curios as to what happened,
he went over and picked up the discarded part and inspected it. The machine had stopped because
it hit a piece of chicken wire that was cast into the aluminum.
Technically their aluminum has the same ratings as does their DOM but like you say which piece gets tested vs which gets sold.
I know I used to build some shackle pins you're familiar with. I used only ETD150 from Lasalle,
140,00 PSI steel. When Karson hijacked them and sent it ti India the material went down the tubes.
I doubt it's 40,000 psi now, but they can build them for 1/3 the price.

I suppose.... I've been asked to leave inspection jobs because "you care too much" was my favorite one... and I've walked off several gigs because the engineering standards were not followed and the PM's and PE's just wanted the timeline completion bonuses. I've seen crap that will curdle your blood in the oil and energy sectors.... The money was great but I sure enjoy not taking 12 pills a day for stress, anxiety and heart conditions and like having a nice conversation with Andrea at night over dinner...

J

Last edited:
I guess I should have just said some tube hoops!
On a manufacturing note, check out this fantastic rebar from Iran!

Hey J, I've been abusing your bumper for a year. It is still wicked and one of my favorite things I have on my truck.
I am in the process of modifying it to better suit my needs, I want to eliminate the double verticle latches and just use one horizontal latch.
Will doing this cause it to rattle? Or will it still lock tight

Hey J, I've been abusing your bumper for a year. It is still wicked and one of my favorite things I have on my truck.
I am in the process of modifying it to better suit my needs, I want to eliminate the double verticle latches and just use one horizontal latch.
Will doing this cause it to rattle? Or will it still lock tight

Personally I like a single latch. IMO, it holds it tighter and less to operate as well.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom