8274-50 Constantly Shorting in the Solenoid Pack ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 8274, bought used but essentially new.

I've had it about 10 years, and constantly frustrated. Only need a winch once in a blue moon, but I swear its 50/50 whether its working or not. Nothing wrong with the winch, but some kind of electrical issue. Ive had cable wrapped around the bumper for about a year, but pulled it into the garage to start figuring out what the issue was this time, and low and behold it worked for 2 seconds, then just clicked, then nothing again in either direction. Wiggled the + wire and got a couple fits and starts, then nothing

I've got solid 12v to the + line at the winch. Doesn't go in either direction. Must be a connection somewhere in the solenoid pack. Figured I'd just start taking connections in the pack apart one at a time, put on some electrical gel and reattach.
Any diagnosis sequence to shorten this process?
Any better approach?
Any particular areas where wires kink and common trouble spots ?

If I ever get this fixed I'm getting a cover.

Wiggled the + wire and got a couple fits and starts, then nothing

... Any particular areas where wires kink and common trouble spots ?

Which + wire, the big fat one to the motor, or the little skinny one to the solenoid pack?

If it's the big motor cable, then I would take the motor apart and inspect the cable terminals and the motor brushes and springs, and inspect/clean the commutator where the brushes contact it.

If it is a solenoid, then it's pretty common for the wire terminal connectors and even the copper buss bars and their terminals to become corroded and not conduct well. Try taking all the connections apart and cleaning them really well, and reassemble them with some dielectric grease to keep it from happening again.

If I ever get this fixed I'm getting a cover.

Or, you could replace the whole solenoid pack with a single contactor, which is sealed to the elements.

Or, you could replace the whole solenoid pack with a single contactor, which is sealed to the elements.

That is how I finally fixed all my electrical problems with my 8274. I chased one bad connection after another with that solenoid pack and finally gave up. So far, so good.

I had the same problem with my 8274. Sticky solenoid.

Most likely it's one of the 2 'power in' as opposed to the 'power out' solenoids. This is how I diagnosed which one of the 4 was bad:

A) remove the black solenoid pack cover in order to have access to the solenoids.
B) unwrap your rope and try to power in.
C) when it fails to power in, lightly tap on a solenoid. When I did this on mine it would begin to power in. When I let go of the trigger and tried to power in again, it would stop powering in, a light tap would get going again.

Called Warn, they convinced me to stay with the solenoids, gave me the correct part # and now my problem is solved...$24. If down the line it reoccurs, I may go to the Albright.

Good luck, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom