Rumble Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
The patient prepped for surgery.....

Round our parts, in the eco-conscious Pacific Northwest (yes, lots of quasi-hippies out here) our road crews use sand and metal plow blades, no nasty salt. On occasion, if we get black ice, a truck will lay some liquid de-icer, but that is not the norm.....

They used to use sand in CO, I think sometimes with some rock salt mixed in, but then the area east of the foothills started getting "the brown cloud". They said sand was part of that air particulate pollution, so now we get mag chloride. That stuff is evil. It will damage a concrete driveway if it drips off your vehicle onto it. :eek:

Used to bring it home from my job at AB, now that I'm retired, it's a road trip to the next town.
Well hey, at least you got that sweet '71 for beer runs! Considering that you may have a little bit of drive time, have you considered a nice 12 V cooler custom fit into your cargo area?
@scrapdaddy

I just drink them on the way! :rimshot: Kidding of course.. I am putting a National Luna freezer/fridge in the back for traveling and camping.

sure it's not the side cover gasket leaking down onto the timing cover?:p

sure it's not the side cover gasket leaking down onto the timing cover?:p
Honestly, I'm only sure of one thing: I am replacing any and all seals I can get to, as I am suspicious of every gasket and seal on this motor. It was a greasy-grimey mess!

This started out as just replacing the glow plugs.......

a gasket only job seems so dismal because the brain knows nothing inside is being done, but the leak free block after is worth every bit of effort.

a gasket only job seems so dismal because the brain knows nothing inside is being done, but the leak free block after is worth every bit of effort.
God I hope so. I did, however, adjust the valves the other day, and the cams look really good. Valves were so tight I couldn't get the proper feeler gauge into a single one of them. Guessing she'll start a lot easier now.

Have also taken this opportunity to clean and paint every part that comes off, and will be replacing old/rusty nuts and bolts.Have thought multiple times about just pulling the motor and going through it on the bench, but I know that would seriously delay me getting this thing put back together.......

Is there a side cover on the diesel? I blew that side gasket on my old pig the night before my Son and I were leaving for Colorado. I didn't know for sure what happened, so took my old ford pick up instead, what a let down.

1992 my Son turned 21 and we had our first beer together, camping overlooking the Royal Gorge. He still talks about missing the pig on that trip.

Sorry for the hijack...keep it in the frame and use it. :)

Is there a side cover on the diesel? I blew that side gasket on my old pig the night before my Son and I were leaving for Colorado. I didn't know for sure what happened, so took my old ford pick up instead, what a let down.

1992 my Son turned 21 and we had our first beer together, camping overlooking the Royal Gorge. He still talks about missing the pig on that trip.

Sorry for the hijack...keep it in the frame and use it. :)
Nope. No side cover. The valve cover gasket however, is notorious for leaking. Valve cover is also the timing chain cover.

At least your son can go riding around in your new piggy!!

Cool to see you are keeping the OM617 Mercedes motor. How does it run?
Motor ran pretty well for the short time I drove it. Cold start issue was the reason I began the R&R on it. Was just going to replace the glow plugs, but then noticed an oil seep, then realized the wiring was a spaghetti mess.......and on and on.

From what I understand, these motors run best when the valves are adjusted every 12k miles. If clearances between the cam lobe and rocker are tight, then the motor will be harder to start, and it will "clackitty clack" more than it should.

So far I have found the OM617a fairly straight forward and fun to work on. The MB crowd talks about what a pain these motors are to work on, but that's because they are crammed into the engine bay of a 300D usually. In my pig, I've got tons of room!;)

I can see now how an OM617a in an '89-'94 Toyo pickup would be a sweet ride!

Motor ran pretty well for the short time I drove it. Cold start issue was the reason I began the R&R on it. Was just going to replace the glow plugs, but then noticed an oil seep, then realized the wiring was a spaghetti mess.......and on and on.

From what I understand, these motors run best when the valves are adjusted every 12k miles. If clearances between the cam lobe and rocker are tight, then the motor will be harder to start, and it will "clackitty clack" more than it should.

So far I have found the OM617a fairly straight forward and fun to work on. The MB crowd talks about what a pain these motors are to work on, but that's because they are crammed into the engine bay of a 300D usually. In my pig, I've got tons of room!;)

I can see now how an OM617a in an '89-'94 Toyo pickup would be a sweet ride!
Yeah love the power that comes from my conversion to the Om617 motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom