Gas is leaking!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just filled the cruiser yesterday and when I got out of the car a half hour later I could smell gas. I didn't worry about it too much since I had just filled it. The next day I drove around some more and now I really smell gas. I checked under the rig and there are two small wet spots under the tank that seem to be a fuel leak. It doesn't appear to be a lot, but its defiantly there. I have also had excessive pressure buildup on my fuel cap which appears after some searching to be the canister so I will be ordering a replacement. Any chance these two are related? What else should I look at?

UPDATE ON POST 13! I still need help!!

Last edited:
It could be that the excessive pressure is pushing it out somewhere. Excessive pressure because of a bad charcoal canister has made fuel come out of the filler neck on my 80. Could be related to that. Definitely change the canister.

awesome thanks, the weird thing is that I just pulled the cap and there was no pressure this time, and the leak is very slow, like a light drip

Regardless of whether it is pressure in the tank or not - you need to track down the source of the leak... Check ALL fuel hose clamps and fuel hose ends (breather and filler hoses), especially at the tank top. You can see them from under the vehicle. A camera with flexible goose neck can help get into some of the corners etc.

cheers,
george.

There have been some owners who found a crack in their tank, on the upper surface near where the emergency brake cable passes over the tank IIRC. One possible cause discussed was due to increased pressure (due to a malfunctioning evap system/charcoal canister) that caused a crack to develop in a section of the tank that had complex/compound curves in the sheet metal.

Here's a link to a recent discussion:

Cracked fuel tank #2

Here's an older thread with photos:

leaking gas from top of tank

Last edited:
I will check it out today and keep trying. It seems to be leaking worse now. Also it has a strong odor inside the cab

So the leak appears to stop after the rig sits for a hour or so. The weather is horrible here so I haven't had a chance to check On it

I am one of the OP of the threads linked above. If it stops after an hour regardless of fill level I think you are on the right track with vapor and Evap items and hoses. Gas cap. Canister. Lines and clamps.

You could always flip seats forward and look at top of fuel sending unit for any easy leak ID on that end of hoses. Leaks there or from CC seem to stink up the cab most. My leak is almost impercievable when moving and is more an outside areas saturation when parked

If it's the top of the tank like those threads discuss then it should be leaking when full. Esp when pointed downhill. Hole is in front right of top of tank are brake grove and 2nd row step down. Mine leaks when it has more than 19-20 gal

Last edited:
Vapor canister can be purged/serviced. IIRC it is in the FSM?

EC-7

11. CLEAN FILTER IN CANISTER

Clean the filter by blowing 294 kPa (3 kgf/cm2, 43 psi) of compressed

air into tank pipe while holding purge pipe closed.

NOTICE:

Do not attempt to wash the canister.No activated carbon

should come out.

4 Phillips Screws plus Cresent Wrench and fuel filler plastic comes out and you can shine a light down there while looking up from bottom to find leak. I'd refrain from using your lighter for light, or we may never see your repost to let us know where leak was.

I never experienced a leak due to my vapor canister, but I did have pressure in the gas tank when the cap was loosened, and hot days and over filling the tank made it worse. I took the OEM vapor canister apart and freed up the one way check valve and replaced the charcoal. I've had no problem since. Now I'm careful to not overfill the tank and saturate the new charcoal. Freeing up the check valve was the key and it took repeated applications of brake cleaner and compressed air to free it up. There are a couple of good write ups on here on how to do this procedure.

So I changed my canister and noticed some improvement, but I could still smell gas. I got under there and found this!! Any ideas of the culprit? The picture if of the front seam of the gas tank .

gas leak 2.JPG

gas tank 1.JPG

Have you been through the FSM yet?

I'd throw some absorbent (kitty litter) on that to dry it out, clean the mess (sparks from a vacuum motor can ignite vapor. Don't vacuum it up.) and see where the wet comes from.

I don't have the FSM. I have tried to search for it on here but the links i found were no longer active,

I found it twice today. Let me see if I can find it again...

Not knowing for sure , but just guessing, I'd say it's coming from the fuel pump area on top of the tank. Could be a fuel line or gasket, but again, that's just a guess. I'd find and fix that leak asap.

I don't have the FSM. I have tried to search for it on here but the links i found were no longer active,

I'm glad you found that other thread. Now, to determine the right steps to repair and prevent it happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom